CapeCodHistory.us home
documents
posted Jan 2007

This is a 14 x 20 cm pamphlet. Several of the images have been turned 90 degrees from the original, to make them easier to view online.



cover
Yarmouth 1st Congo
Built by sea captains on the highest point between Yarmouth and Yarmouthport, so that it can be seen across the bay and from the other side of the Cape, is the FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH. This meeting house was built in 1870 and was preceded by three other buildings.
BLOCK  PRINTS  OF
OLD CAPE COD
BUILDINGS

BY
William A. Miller, Jr.

lighthouse logo



FIRST EDITION
PUBLISHED BY THE ARTIST
Copyright, 1935, by
WILLIAM A. MILLER, JR.




PRINTED   BY
THE WAYSIDE  PRESS
Yarmouthport, Mass.
FOREWORD


    There has been an increasing demand in recent years by people of taste, to obtain artistic mementos and authentic details of old Cape Cod. It is hoped that a fulfillment of this request may be found among the pages of this book.
    William Miller, the author, needs no introduction to the Art devotees of the Cape, where in the past few years he has become an organizer, painter, and designer of no little merit.
    Within this book he has undertaken to give to the public a group of authentic Cape Cod types and brief historical details, which depicts this part of the country, true to type and at its best.                               
    We who come to visit or live here hold these facts essential and sacred.
H. Bradford Clarke


INTRODUCTION


    The purpose of this book is not a long discourse on Cape Cod history or photographic reproduction, but a few interesting old Cape Cod buildings, reproduced in a manner that is suggestive, and a word about each. The illustrations are cut in the block by hand from sketches of the actual buildings. I have attempted by intimation, to show one of Cape Cod's charms, its old buildings; long may they survive.
    I want to acknowledge my appreciation to all those who have helped by giving information and suggestions, to produce this, my first book.
sig




The doorway of the old MATTHEWS HOUSE, which overlooks the Common at Yarmouthport. This house was built by Captain Prince Matthews in 1809. Before the house was completed, Captain Matthews had to make a trip to the Orient. Before he left he told his wife not to spend any money towards completing the house. Upon his return he was quite surprised to find in the front hall and master chamber, very beautiful carved cornice mouldings. Womanlike, Mrs. Matthews had them made.
Matthews doorway


A typical Cape Cod house, which was built about 1725, and is located beneath the elms of Hallet Street, Yarmouthport. So little has been done to change thin building that it is possible to imagine how it looked when built. It has the original chimney with three fireplaces and oven, and the flues are large enough for Santa Claus to descend. To give headroom in the cellar, the floor was a foot higher in the small room, off the kitchen. This house is now occupied by the CAPE COD ART CLUB and is open to the public during the summer.
Hallet Street house, Yarmouthport


The CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH in West Barnstable was built in 1717. Although this building was altered in 1852, it still retains a great deal of its original beauty. Under the ceiling are beautiful chamfered oak timbers, which were originally exposed. Also in the old church there was a gallery and a raised pulpit.
West Barnstable church


The old WINDMILL at Eastham was built in 1793 at Plymouth and brought across the bay. A few years ago it was put in working order, so that now, during the summer season it grinds corn, and those interested may see it in operation.
Eastham windmill


The fireplace in the original kitchen of a one story Cape house, which was built in 1770, in West Brewster. Called THE PACKET, because long ago it was owned by the captain of the packet that ran from Boston to the Cape. The present owner while making some improvements, discovered a partition made of planks two inches thick. In the old barn is a very interesting antique shop.
the Packet, West Brewster


Parts of this interesting house are over two hundred years old, although the main part was built by John Howes in 1800, and has been occupied ever since by a Howes. This building is located in a most picturesque setting on the main street in Dennis. For the past twenty-five years it has been one of the popular tea rooms of the Cape — "THE SIGN OF THE MOTOR CAR."
Howes house



This is the doorway of "THE SIGN OF THE MOTOR CAR" at Dennis. The double dentils continue across the front of the building. The pilasters are very simply and gracefully carved.






Howes doorway



A strange sight is an old WATER MILL on Cape Cod, the land of windmills. This mill is located on picturesque Stoney Brook in what was once called Factory Village, a part of West Brewster.
Brewster mill



Interior of the WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH, which was built in 1847 and is located in Quivet Neck, East Dennis. This church is the outgrowth of the Methodist Church in Brewster. The interior is of pleasing colonial architecture — the little doors an the pews are unique.
Wesleyan interior



Ever since it was built in 1799, THE BARNSTABLE INN, situated in Barnstable Village, has been taking care of the needs of the weary traveller. During the stage coach days and after, it was called "The Globe Hotel" and, on its old register can be seen the following: "Daniel Webster" — "Chief Justice Shaw and Lady".
Barnstable Inn


Doorway of an old house in Yarmouthport, built before 1825, previous records destroyed when the Barnstable Court House burned in 1827. At one time owned by Captain Bangs Hallett, a Yarmouth shipmaster. The house is a two story type, set back from the road with an approach of a terraced lawn.
Hallett doorway



This old house was built about 1739 from parts of an older house, and is located in Weir Village, which was originally one of the main centers of Yarmouth. During this time there was a grocery store in the house. The store was in a room six by eleven feet having four doors and two windows. Where did they keep the groceries?
Weir Villlage house



The STURGIS LIBRARY in Barnstable Village, oldest library building in America, was built in 1645 by John Lothrop, minister of the first Congregational Church, which was founded in 1616 in London. This library was founded by William Sturgis, a descendant of Lothrop, and in 1867 it was open to the public. The building was a half Cape house with a salt box roof, since then it has been added to considerably.
Sturgis Library



Doorway of "BLUE BLINDS", one of Cape Cod's landmarks, was huilt by a sea captain, who brought powdered blue pigment from China to paint his blinds. In his will he stated that the color of the blinds should be kept the same. Located in Barnstable, this btrilding is one of the early two story hip roof houses.
Blue Blinds



This typical old TOWN HALL was built in 1834. It is of very .simple colonial architecture, in keeping with its surroundings — nearby is the Congregational Church, the, old mill on Shawme Lake, and across the street is the Historical Museum.
Sandwich town hall



One of the most beautiful churches on the Cape— The CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH in Sandwich was built in 1848. A strong influence of Christopher Wren is apparent in its architecture. So far there is nothing known about the building of this meeting house as there are no church records from 1846 to 1849. The building has not been used for the past ten years for services, as the churches federated and the other church is used.
Sandwich Congo



Overlooking Shawme Lake in Sandwich is the HOXIE HOUSE, which was built in 1637, and in said to be the oldest house on the Cape. It is sometimes called "Fort Hoxie" because during the Civil War, its owner, Abraham Hoxie, fired off a cannon for each Union victory. The house is of the rare Salt Box type and in the chimney was found a brick inscribed with the date, 1637.
Hoxie house



THE QUAKER HOUSE of the Solemnities at South Yarmouth has not been changed since it was built in 1809. This is a typical Quaker meeting house with the partition thru the center of the pews. During the meetings the men are on one side and the women on the other. Now there is only one service held a year.
Quaker house, South Yarmouth



The OLD ATWOOD HOMESTEAD was built in 1756 and is the oldest house in Chatham. Now owned by the Chatham Historical Society and is open to the public.
Atwood House, Chatham



The HIGH SCHOOL at Harwich Center was built about 1817. At first this was Brooks Academy until about 1890 when it was changed to a High and Grammar School. Harwich and Brewster were originally one town and when they were divided, it was voted: "That the Academy shall remain in Harwich".
Brooks Academy



Facing both Hallet and Willow Streets in Yarmouthport is the old Harding House, built about one hundred and fifty years ago. In the original kitchen is a fireplace six feet seven inches long with the old oven. The house is sometimes called "Lilac Cottage" because of the large lilac bushes that are around the house.
Harding House, Yarmouthport