CapeCodHistory.us home page,
posted July 2006
note: pictures to be added later
The town chapters are organized with history, industry, schools, churches and villages first, followed by a biographical sketch section. I have split the biographical sketch section from the rest for several towns. The complete Barnstable chapter, No. XVI, includes pages 366-452
Barnstable history and situation
History of Barnstable County, Massachusetts
edited by Simeon L. Deyo.
1890. New York: H. W. Blake & Co
pages 419-452 of CHAPTER XVI
biographical sketches section of BARNSTABLE.
Simeon L. Ames.—The family name of which this resident of Cotuit is a representative is found early in the last century, in the annals of Barnstable. The first record is of Thomas, who, December 30, 1746, married Mehitable Fuller, a descendant of one of the first settlers of the plantation. Enos, his son, born in 1759 in Osterville, was the father of Isaac I. Ames, who married Beulah Coleman of the same place. She was the sister of Nathaniel and a descendant of Edward Coleman, one of the important additions to the settlers of Barnstable in 1662. Isaac I. continued his residence at Osterville, raising a family of children, one of whom was Simeon L. Ames, born December 6, 1822.
At the age of seven he was apprenticed to Deacon Munroe of Barnstable, and the short period at the Osterville school previous to his
removal, and the three years he lived with the deacon constituted his school-boy days. At the age of ten he shipped as cook on the sloop Oysterville for a coasting voyage, and as soon as his age permitted, while yet in his teens, he was made master of a coaster. At eighteen he went one voyage on the Wm. Penn as boat steerer. He returned to coasting and this profitable service he continued several years. In 1852 he was master of the steamer Osprey, plying between Boston and Philadelphia. He was ordered to go to Boston for sealed orders which, when received, only gave him sixteen hours to prepare for a voyage to St. Johns, Newfoundland, to the rescue of the passengers of the ill-fated steamer Philadelphia. Before his arrival at St. Johns the steamer Arctic was also wrecked there, and he returned to Philadelphia with the few survivors from the latter and about seven hundred from the former. He acted as master or pilot on steamers between the cities of the Atlantic coast for two years, and in 1854 he, with others in a company, had the tug William Sprague built for use in Boston harbor, where he continued in command until his retirement in 1856.
During the latter part of his seafaring life, December 3, 1846, he married Miss Lucy Fessenden Crocker, who was born June 1, 1823, at Cotuit, and worthily represents the two historic families indicated by her name. Their marital relations have been blessed by a family of three children, of whom one daughter, Hattie S., born October 1, 1849, in Cotuit, died at the age of eleven in California. Of the two surviving children, the oldest daughter, Carrie Crocker Ames, born November 30, 1847, married Emerson O. Stratton on the 15th of December, 1870; they live in Arizona and have had four children: Mabel, Edith O., John S., who died at the age of five, and Elmer W. Stratton. The youngest daughter of Mr. Ames is Lucy S., born October 14, 1859, in California, and January 17, 1883, she married Elmer W. Lapham. Many pleasing coincidences are concealed in the histories of the ancient families of the Cape, and here one is unearthed. This youngest daughter. Mrs. Lapham. resides in the house of her mother's father, who was a Crocker. The home is known as the Ebenezer Crocker place, and is the birthplace of Zenas Crocker, Mrs. Ames, Rebecca Crocker and others: and among the smaller mementoes of the past the family have carefully preserved the diary of 1761, written while among the Indians of the Six Nations, by Rev. Gideon Hawley, who was also one of the ancestors of Mrs. Ames.
When Mr. Ames left the sea in 1856 he removed to California where he was engaged in a store until 1861, when he returned to Cotuit, purchased his present farm, erected his pleasant residence, and here he enjoys the fruits of his active and well spent life. His time has been spent in agricultural pursuits, and since 1870 more especially in the culture of cranberries. Retiring in his nature, prefer-
ring the home circle to the vicissitudes of civil life, he has not consented to fill any official trust beyond that of school committee for his own division of the town. Like many others on the Cape he is familiarly called "Captain," a title he has earned by years of meritorious service on the seas as master, but he is entitled to a cognomen of equal significance for the masterly tacks he has made on land.
Ferdinand H. Bassett8 (Gerry7, Joseph8, Daniel8, Daniel4, Joseph3, Nathaniel2, William Bassett1,) was born in 1842, and was at sea from 1858 until 1886. being sixteen years in command of vessels. Since retiring from the sea he has been in business at Hyannis. His wife, Caroline, is a daughter of Judah Baker, deceased, of South Dennis. Their three sons are: F. Clifton, Elisha B. and Winthrop D. William Bassett1 came in the Fortune in 1621. Zenas D. Bassett, who was born in 1786 and died in 1864, was a prominent man in the county. He was a son of Joseph Bassett6.
Charles L. Baxter, born 1833, is a son of John B. and a grandson of John Baxter. At the age of fourteen he began at carpentry and has since followed it as his principal business, although now also interested in cranberry culture. He built H. W. Wellington's house at Wianno Beach, the Colonel Codman and Wesson places at Cotuit Port, Zenas Crocker's residence at Cotuit, and in 185S his own residence there. His wife was Josephine Jones.
Captain Samuel S. Baxter, born 1828, is the youngest child of Shubael Baxter, who was a master mariner and privateer in 1812. Captain Baxter went on a coasting voyage when but eleven years of age; was in North Carolina and West India merchant service two or three years, then in United States mail line to California from 1853 to I860. He was engaged in transport service during the civil war from 1861 to 1865. after which he made several voyages to New Orleans and Fernandina, Fla. He retired in 1866, and is at present residing near Marston's Mills and interested in oyster culture. His wife was a daughter of Luther Hinckley, a prominent Barnstable man. They have two daughters.
Asa F. Bearse, merchant at Cotuit, is a son of Alfred and grandson of Moses Bearse, formerly a house carpenter in Hyannis. He was at sea for seventeen years, fourteen years as captain. His wife. Sarah L., is a daughter of Captain Oliver Nickerson. Their children are; Elva W., Mabel (Mrs. Gilbert L. Coleman) and Alice; now in school.
Charles C. Bearse.—The progenitor of this family was Austin (Augustine) Bearse, who arrived in the New World April 24, 1638, in the ship Confidence. He was twenty-one years of age when, in 1639, he came to Barnstable. He was admitted to Mr. Lothrop's church April 29, 1643. and the record says of him, "he was a consistent and esteemed member." His grandson Benjamin, son of Joseph, was the
first to erect a house in Hyannis, and was among the first interred in the burial place of that village. Among the subsequent descendants of these sterling ancestors was Charles C. Bearse, born April 2, 1812, at Hyannis, where his father, Moses, and his grandfather, Gershom, lived and died.
At the age of ten he went to reside with his uncle, George Hinckley, of whom he learned the carpenter trade, and at Osterville he obtained the education afforded by the common schools. He was married December 27, 1842, to Penelope P. Crocker, daughter of Braddock Crocker, who was a prominent merchant of Cotuit for twenty years prior to his death in 1840. Her grandfather Crocker, born in 1753, was one of that ancient family which has been for years identified with much of the prosperity and wealth of the Cape.
Soon after his marriage Mr. Bearse erected the beautiful home at Cotuit, where he died February 24, 1889, leaving, besides his widow, two daughters. The eldest is Isabel T., born May 29, 1848. who. January 12, 1881, married Julius Nickerson. a prominent merchant of Cotuit, and has a daughter six years of age, named Carol Isabel. The youngest daughter, residing with the mother at the homestead, is Nellie Bearse, born December 23, 1866.
The life and services of the deceased, through a period of threescore years of activity and usefulness in every phase of responsibility, leaves honorable testimony of his public and private virtues. Not content with the limits circumscribed by his trade, he established a large business in lumber and hardware at Cotuit, and became an expert architect and builder. At the age of thirty-three, the confidence in his ability was manifested by an election to a seat in the general court for two years; and at the expiration of the term he was elected selectman and assessor of his town, which positions he filled most acceptably for nearly a quarter of a century. He declined, in 1871, to serve longer, and the citizens of Barnstable, in open town meeting, passed resolutions of thanks for his worthy services, and of regret at his retirement. These were not his only public duties. He served one term as high sheriff of the county: for many years, until his resignation, he was postmaster at Cotuit; and his services as justice of the peace, through repeated appointments here, terminated only by his decease.
In July, 1805, when the First National Bank of Hyannis was organized, he was one of its directors, which position he held until the board was reduced in number; but he was again chosen in 1887. The board, at his death, passed and presented to his family resolutions of grief and condolence. He was also chosen one of the board of directors and investment of the Hyannis Savings Bank at its organization, and until the institution closed he was among the most earnest.
In none of the responsible duties required of this worthy citizen were his services more sought or his equity better demonstrated than in the settlement of estates in his own and adjoining-towns. In the careful adjustment of the most complicated of these he excelled. Through his public and private life, those who had been associated with him for nearly half a century, themselves prominent in affairs, unreservedly attest to the pure Christian motives, decisive opinions, excellent judgment and wise counsels of Charles C. Bearse.
While moss is growing over the granite, and time is making the marble gray, the good influence which he exerted upon the age in which he lived will still be widening: and the student of local history will hardly find, in the annals of men, a more perfect instance of financial and political purity.
Nelson H. Bearse, born in 1844. is a son of the late Nelson Bearse, whose father, James, was a son of James and grandson of Lemuel Bearse. Nelson H. followed the sea from 1858 until 187S. His wife is Mary C. Ames of Osterville. They have six children, including a pair of twins, which is the ninth pair in this branch of the family.
Revilo P. Benson was born in Rochester, Mass., in 1845. His father, Ephraim Benson, was born in 1800. He located in Marston's Mills in 1874, where he still lives, carrying on a blacksmith business. His wife. Isadora G., is a daughter of Captain Josiah Hamblin, formerly of Falmouth. They have one child, Nettie M. Benson, born at Wareham, Mass., in 1874.
Simeon Lovell Boult, a retired sea captain, born 1819, is a son of Charles Boult, who came to this country when a boy. His mother, Rebecca, was a daughter of Simeon Lovell, whose house was in Osterville on the north side of the main road, near Crocker's Corners. Mr. Boult followed the sea from the age of fourteen until 1875, in the coasting trade. His wife, Rozilla A., was the eldest daughter of Nathan Coleman. She died November 30, 1882, leaving one daughter, Isabella C. Boult.
Daniel P. Bursley.—As the only surviving representative of one of the branches of the ancient family of Bursley, the name at the head of this sketch composes an important element in the genealogical history of the county. John Bursley, the progenitor of the family, was with the first settlers of Barnstable, and on November 28, 1639, he married Joanna, daughter of minister Hull. From this worthy ancestor the lineage has been: John, jr., Joseph, Joseph, jr., John, Josiah and Washburn, the father of Daniel P. Bursley. The residence on the corner opposite the old Jabez Rowland tavern, West Barnstable, was the homestead of Josiah, who reared to usefulness six children:
Lurana, Daniel, Washington, Washburn, George and Enoch P. Bursley. The fourth child, Washburn, was born October 5, 1812. and until his death, October 29, 1886, was an important factor in the growth and business of West Barnstable. He was a farmer until the advent of the railroad, when he established the express line to the south shore, which for many years bore his name and still is known as the Bursley Express. Such was his punctuality that for over thirty years he never missed being at the proper trains; and during the whole period no storm or business kept him a night from his family.
He married, December 10, 1834, Deborah Lothrop Turner, who survives him. She is a direct descendant from Governor Prince. Their only child, Daniel P. Bursley, was born October 30, 1836, and married Hannah D. Linnell, of Centreville, November 7, 1858. She is the only daughter of Captain David Linnell, a direct descendant of Robert Linnell, one of the original members of John Lothrop's church, Barnstable, in 1639.
In 1854, at the age of eighteen, Daniel P. shipped before the mast in the merchant service of Crocker & Warren, of New York. His first voyages were in the ship Raven, in which he steadily arose in rank until he was appointed first mate in her voyage of 1864. He accepted the command of the Franklin in 1865, in the employ of W. F. Weld & Co., Boston, sailing to San Francisco, thence to China and around the world home. In 1867 he was master of the same ship on a similar voyage; and in 1869 of the Borneo; in 1870 of the George Peabody. In 1871 he was sent overland to the Pacific coast to bring home the ship California, loaded with logwood; and in 1872 made his last voyage to San Francisco, and thence to Europe, in the Belvidere. His wife not wishing to longer accompany him, and the declining health of his father, induced him, in 1875, to give up a sea-faring life. He and his wife have since resided in the Bursley homestead, and are the solace of the worthy mother. He has earned the soubriquet of "Captain," as he is familiarly called by his intimate friends.
He is prominent in the civil affairs of his town, and although an active, worthy member of the republican party, he declines every proffer of office. He has been the agent of the New York & Boston Despatch Express Company since its establishment, which, with his own complicated business, set forth in the history of his village, occupies his time. Notwithstanding his many duties, he finds time for the social relations of life, and in the pleasant home circle enjoys not only the present, but many memories of the past. The beautiful homestead is historic from its site, and the fact that some of its timbers and covering were formerly in the residence of James Otis, the patriot. The front door step was once the hearth-stone in the parlor of Brigadier Otis, whose house near by has been taken down within
his remembrance. He also points with pride to the backgammon board, two hundred and fifty years old, once the property of the brigadier, and which is an exquisite piece of English inlaid mechanism.
The many years of successful service in an important branch of commerce, and the high esteem in which he is held in the social, civil and business relations of his native town, indicate that in Daniel P. Bursley, as one of the scions of that original band of settlers, the honor and integrity of the family is maintained.
John Bursley9 (William T.8, 1832; Charles H.7, 1801-1878; Heman6, 1770-1850; John5, 1741-1827; Joseph4, 1714-1778; Joseph3, 1686-1750; John2, 1652-1726: John1, died 1660,) was born in 1859. John1 bought a large land property at West Barnstable, including the farm now occupied by the eighth and ninth generations of his descendants. Charles H. Bursley7 was the first secretary of the County Agricultural Society, acting fifteen years or more. John Bursley9 married Florence A., daughter of William H., granddaughter of Ezekiel H., and great-granddaughter of Isaiah Parker.
Alexander G. Cash, mentioned as a merchant at Hyannis, was born at Cotuit Port in 1840. His father, William Cash, was born at Mattapoiset, Mass., and was shipmaster in the whaling service from New Bedford and Nantucket from 1848 to 1864. His grandfather, Alexander Cash, was born at Nantucket. Alexander G. was at New Bedford, Fall River and Brockton between 1857 and 1866, and from 1850 to 1855 was on the ocean and at Sandwich, islands. He was deputy and special sheriff from 1878 to 1890. He has been twice married. His first wife. Rebecca A., was born in New Bedford. She left two children: William S. and Stanley A. His second wife, Phebe A., was born in Nantucket,
Dr. John Winslow Chapman, of Hyannis, was born at Philadelphia in 1828. and was educated therewith Dr. J. M. Harris and at the Philadelphia College of Medicine. His wife, Ella Dorr, is a daughter of Captain Nathan Coleman of Cotuit, a wealthy ship master. Dr. Chapman began the practice of dentistry at Hyannis in 1846, and excepting eight years preceding 1857—when he was in New York—has followed his profession here.
Captain Albert Chase.—This much esteemed citizen of Hyannis is a descendant of William Chase, one of the original settlers of the plantation of Mattacheese in 1639, who came to the colony of New Plymouth in 1630 and resided at Roxbury and .Scituate before his removal to the Cape. In the division of the plantation he was a resident of Yarmouth, where he was appointed constable and collector in 1640. This ancestor, succeeded by a line of male representatives prominent in church and state, was worthily represented by Dea. Anthony Chase, of the Hyannis Baptist church, who was born in 1757
and died at the age of eighty-three, after a life of marked usefulness. His son, Anthony, was a resident of Yarmouth, where, in 1808, Albert Chase, the subject of this sketch, and the only survivor of this branch of the family, was born.
At the age of sixteen he shipped before the mast in the coasting and foreign merchant service, and by his diligent application, was advanced along the line of promotion until he was master, which responsible position he filled in the packet service between New York and Boston for nearly a score of years before his retirement.
He married, September 7, 1830, Elizabeth P., daughter of Abner Taylor of Yarmouth, and only sister of Elisha Taylor of South Yarmouth. Their only child, Amanda E. Chase, was born in 1833; she married Stephen Henton of Pennsylvania, and died a few months after. Mr. Chase resided at Hyannis Port prior to 1857, when he erected and removed to his present beautiful residence in Hyannis.
In I860 he engaged with Joshua Baker in mercantile pursuits, of which an account has been given in the history of Hyannis village. Like his ancestors, he is a supporter of the Baptist church, and in politics is a type of the Jeffersonian school of democrats. He prefers the congenial home to any honors that can be conferred by office, and has persistently declined all proffers. He was once elected as one of the directors of the Hyannis Bank, in which he is interested, but even this encroachment upon his domestic habits was distasteful, and he soon resigned, although possessed of mature financial ability so valuable to the board. In all business relations his conservative methods have produced eminent success and a competency for the decline of life. For more than half a century his public spirit, his enterprise, his ready counsel and material aid have advanced the worthy and philanthropic objects of his town.
Although he has recently passed the eightieth mile-stone of an active life, he still bids fair for the enjoyment of a score of useful years in the practice of those virtues which have marked his life and made it a forcible illustration of how temperate living and regular employment of mind and body may give length of days and bring those who practice them to the quiet harbor of a serene and hale old age.
Edward W. Childs, born in 1842, is a son of Captain Simeon C. Childs, whose father, David, was a son of Job Childs. Mr. Childs followed the sea in coasting about seventeen years, and was for nine months a soldier in the civil war. After the war he was for fifteen years variously engaged as foreman and inspector on contract construction of reservoirs and water works at New Bedford, Pawtucket, Lowell and Manchester. His present business is farming and cranberry culture and poultry raising. His wife, F. Albertine, is a daughter of Franklin and granddaughter of Nathaniel Freeman of Orleans.
William Childs, born 1819, is a son of Thomas and grandson of Job Childs, who was formerly a farmer at Centreville. His mother, Susanna, was a sister of Joseph Cammett. He followed the sea from the age of fourteen until about 1857. being master the last three or four years. He markets three hundred to four hundred barrels annually of Little River oysters from beds which he owns. His wife, Sophia, is a daughter of Daniel H. Sturges. They have had eleven children, six of whom reside here.
John F. Cornish was born in Plymouth in 1821. When thirteen years of age he came to Centreville, where he still lives. He is a carpenter by trade. For ten years prior to 1854 he ran the stage from Sandwich to Hyannis, via South Sandwich, Cotuit, Osterville and Centreville. He was at sea, coasting, from 1854 to 1872. His wife is Elizabeth B.. born in Cotuit, daughter of Captain Asa and granddaughter of William Stevens of Plymouth. Their children are: John B. of Boston; Lizzie (Mrs. General Ayling of New Hampshire); and Sarah (Mrs. Dr. John E. Pratt of Sandwich). Mr. Cornish's father, Freeman, was born in South Plymouth about 1783, and his father, John Cornish, is believed to have been born in Plymouth.
Alfred Crocker, born November 3, 1844, is a son of Loring, grandson of Loring and great-grandson of William Crocker. He was engaged in the manufacture of salt with his father until twenty-nine years of age, after which he was for eight years railway postal clerk. He was five 3'ears postmaster at Barnstable, and for the past nine years has been a member of the school committee, and is at present a deputy sheriff. He was married November 19, 1872, to Mary A., daughter of George C. Davis. They have two children: Alfred, jr., and Hattie.
Benjamin F. Crocker, born 1822, is a son of Enoch, grandson of Joseph and great-grandson of Moses Crocker. Enoch was manufacturing shoes at Yarmouth Port several years with Charles Sears and Thomas Thacher. They ran a stage line from Yarmouth to Sandwich. Joseph was a deacon in the West Parish church. Benjamin F. has resided at Hyannis since his return from California in 1852. His wife, Caroline, is a daughter of Dr. Moses R. Percival, the homoeopathic pioneer of Maine. Their oldest son is Dr. Willarcl C. Crocker of Foxboro, Mass., and another son is studying medicine.
Charles C. Crocker, born 1831, is a son of Enoch and grandson of Samuel Crocker. In 1849 he began his present business, as noted in the Hyannis village history, and has continuously occupied his present shop since 1851. His wife is a daughter of Laban Hallett, deceased. He has two children: Welles H. and George F. Mr. Crocker was elected first selectman in March, 1884, and annually since.
Eben B. Crocker7, born 1854. is descended from Frederick W.6, David5, Daniel4, Job3, John2, William1. Eben B.7 was deputy sheriff here from 1880 to March, 1887, when he began his first term as selectman. He has done the only ice business here for a period of eight or ten years. His wife, Ella D., is a daughter of Daniel Scudder of this town. The ancestor, William1, was one of the First Comers of 1639.
Henry P. Crocker, merchant at Osterville, is a son of Brigham and grandson of Moody Crocker. His mother, Sophia, was a direct descendant from Governor Hinckley. Mr. Crocker was at sea twelve years prior to 1874, and then until 1884 was captain in coastwise merchant service.
Isaiah Crocker, son of Benjamin F. and grandson of Isaac Crocker, who once lived in West Barnstable, was born in Osterville in 1813. He married Eliza, daughter of William Holway of West Barnstable, and had six children: Edmund A., now of Boston; Mary E. i Mrs. Barker, deceased), Martha W. (Mrs. Israel Crocker, Wallace F. (deceased), William H., a teacher in the Osterville Grammar School, and Ellen (Mrs. Edward Spooner of Campello). The celebrated Crocker eel and fish spears are made by Mr. Crocker, who for nearly half a century has furnished those and other devices for capturing eels and fish. Israel Crocker, mentioned above, is a well-known merchant at Osterville. He was born near Scorton hill, where his father, John, and his grandfather, C. R. Crocker, who came from Wareham about 1800, lived.
Oliver Crocker, born 1822. is a son of Ezekiel and grandson of Joseph Crocker. He went to sea at seventeen years of age and followed whaling twenty-five years, making four voyages in the Arctic ocean and others in the Pacific and Indian oceans. His wife. Nancy, is a daughter of Benjamin Jones. Their children are: Oliver A., Foster, Nannie E. (Mrs. George L. Hamblin) and Florence (Mrs. Rev. Frank W. Hamblin).
Oliver H. Crocker, born 1820, is a son of Benjamin F. and grandson of Isaac Crocker. He was formerly a ship carpenter, but is now engaged in farming. His wife, Durana, is a sister of Alvin Crosby, of Centreville. They have one son. William Oliver Crocker.
Zenas Crocker, born 1831, is a son of Zenas Crocker, whose father was also named Zenas. He was at sea in early life, and in 1852 he went to California, where he stayed seven years. He subsequently spent two years there. His present business is cranberry culture. He was married in Sandwich, Mass., to Susan A. Jones, a native of Vermont. Their children are: Hattie E., Zenas (who has four children, including a son Zenas), Ellen M. and Francis H. Crocker. Ellen M. married Captain Daniel H. Handy, of Cotuit, January 8, 1890.
The Crosby family is largely represented at Centreville and Osterville by the descendants of Jesse Crosby (1732-1804). His father, Ebenezer, was born in Brewster in 1706, where his father, Ebenezer, was born in 1675. he being the son of Rev. Thomas Crosby, an early preacher in Eastham, who came to New England with his father, Simon, in the ship Susan & Ellen, April 18. 109,3. This Jesse Crosby had eleven children, the sous being Nathan, James. Allen, Jesse, Daniel, Andrew, Samuel and Lewis, the latter name alluding to the Mr. Lewis in whose family, at Centreville, Jesse was raised. Alvin Crosby, a retired merchant of Centreville, born in 1803, is a son of this Lewis Crosby. His wife, deceased, was Ploomy Kelley. Their only surviving child is Nancy G. (Mrs. Owen Crosby), whose two daughters are Emily F. and Minnie E.
Horace S. Crosby, born 1820, is a son of Andrew, third son of Daniel Crosby above named. He began business as boat builder in Osterville in 1835, and during that year built the first sail boat ever used here, as at that time there was no other business of the kind within fifty miles of there. This boat building business is still carried on by his sons and nephews. He married Lucy A. Backus, of Marston's Mills, and has four sons. His son. Herbert F., the boat builder, was born in 1853, married Sarah Helen, daughter of Nathan West, and has five children: Eliott, Wilbur. Ethel, Herbert B., and Andrew W.
Charles H. Crosby, son of C. Worthington Crosby, was born in 1854. His wife, Edith M., is a daughter of Joseph and Persis H. Robbins. They have one daughter, Edna Browning, born August 19. 1878.
Allen Crowell, born in 1820, is a son of Abner and grandson of Abner Crowell, once a farmer at South Yarmouth. He went to sea when eleven years of age. and before he retired in 1887 had been forty-six years in command of schooners paid ships in the merchant service. In 1843 he married Phoebe C. Miner, of Mystic, Conn. Their only son is Winthrop M. Crowell, of Cleveland. Ohio, and their only daughter, Phoebe C, is the wife of Judge William P. Reynolds.
David Davis5 (Benjamin4, David3, James2, James1,) was born in 1845 in Barnstable. He was with the Walworth Manufacturing Company in Boston for thirteen years prior to 1877, when he opened the store near his residence, which he carried on until 1883, then removed to the store which he now occupies. His wife, Anna A. Peabody, is a remote descendant from George Peabody. They have four children: Henry C, James, Herbert B., and Edith A. It was Mr. Davis who discovered, on the farm which he now owns, the skeleton of Iyanough, which is now in Pilgrim Hall at Plymouth. The bones were identified by the kettle in which the skull was found, and which was thought to be the one mentioned as part of the purchase price in a deed which the old chief gave.
The Dimmock name here comes from Thomas Dimock of 1639, who was ordained as elder of the Barnstable church August 7, 1650, and died in 1658. Colonel Joseph Dimock (1734-1822) was a nephew of Thomas. He married Thankful Dimmock, and their only child, Hannah, married Ansel Bassett, a son of Nathaniel Bassett.
Nathan Edson.—The progenitor of the Edson family in New England was Dea. Samuel Edson, who was born in England in 1612, and whose son Samuel was born in Salem, Mass., in 1645. In the third generation was Samuel, born 1690: his son Samuel was born in 1714. Dea. Noah Edson, born 1756, was the next in direct line. His son Eliphalet, born in Bridgewater. Mass., in 1788. married Polly Johnson, of Bridgewater, and removed, about 1809. to Yarmouth, where he died in 1858. They reared ten children, of whom four sons and two daughters survive.
The fourth of the ten, and one of the survivors, is Nathan Edson, a worthy citizen of Barnstable. He was born in Yarmouth. September 16, 1817. His opportunity for an education was limited to the common school, and when nineteen years of age he had also acquired a knowledge of his father's trade—cabinet-making. At the age of twenty, after a year's service in Boston, he went to Attleborough, Mass., where he engaged in clock-making one year, and then went to Philadelphia. In that city, with a partner, he carried on for three 3rears the business of clock-making, until 1841, when he again engaged in cabinet-making, which business he continued fifteen years, employing steam power and building up a large and important business, which in 1856 he sold to his brother. During this period he was several years a member of the council of the borough of West Philadelphia, before its incorporation with the city, and for five years he was the librarian and managing officer of the Mechanics' Institute there.
In 1861 he removed to Barnstable and purchased the large farm which he has since occupied and managed. His success in agricultural pursuits is as marked as in mechanical, and has given him a prominent position among those most interested In its advancement. For the past twenty years he has been one of the directors of the Barnstable County Mutual Fire Insurance Company, and also of the County Agricultural Society, being now a trustee of its Percival and Eldridge funds, and for nine years past he has been a member of the state board of agriculture.
Notwithstanding his agricultural duties, which, by his supervision and labor, have brought his farm to excel in broad meadows, corn fields and cranberry bogs, he has found time to satisfactorily serve the town many years as a selectman, overseer of the poor, assessor and in other important offices. His executive ability has been duly acknowledged for years by positions on the board of directors of agri-
cultural societies and the local banks, and the appreciation of his valuable services in school affairs has been shown by a re-election to the school board for nearly a quarter of a century. He is also now a trustee of the Hersey fund and an officer in the East parish, where he worships.
In private life he is as unostentatious and genial as in public. He was married May 31, 1838, to Miss Jane E. Messenger, of Attleborough, Mass. They adopted an infant daughter, whom they named Clara A.; she is now the wife of Albert F. Edson, one of the principal merchants of Barnstable. Their children are: Albert L., aged thirteen years, and Lottie H., aged twelve, who, with their parents, live in their grandfather's beautiful home.
Mr. Edson's name coupled with an enterprise is generally accepted as an earnest of its success and merit. Having passed the seventy-second mile-stone of life, he is still blessed with that vigor of mind and body which remain with the few, as nature's especial approval of those who keep her laws. Plain in his tastes and domestic in his habits, he has never sought public office, but in the autumn of 1889, as the candidate of the republican party, with which he has always been identified, he was chosen, after half a century's service in minor offices, to his present seat in the state legislature.
Eliphalet Edson7 was born in the year 1815. He was in business in Brewster three years, and for eight years prior to 1856 he was a merchant in Orleans. From that time until 1886 he was in the West, representing a New York mercantile firm. He was married, January 1, 1840, to Ruth A., daughter of Simeon Higgins, of Orleans. She died June 26, 1856, leaving two sons: Edwin W. and Albert F. The present Mrs. Edson is Eliza L., daughter of Nathan Hallett, of Yarmouth. She has one son. Nelson Hallett Edson, born in 1867.
Elisha B. Fish, born 1852, is a son of Elisha H. Fish and Mary A., a daughter of Reuben Fish (1769-1852), and granddaughter of Reuben Fish, who was born in 1738 and died in 1809, in an old house built here about 1717. In this house "Father Taylor "—the sailors' missionary—often held meetings. On the site of this old house Elisha B. Fish built his present residence in 1887. He followed the sea from 1867 to 1871. He then turned his attention to music, and is now engaged in teaching music and dancing. His wife, Florence S., is a daughter of Heman C. Crocker. They have one son, Carl F. Fish.
Heman Fish was born in West Barnstable in 1807 and died in Barnstable in 1887. He did a business as baker here in an early day, his partner in the business being David Snow, who was afterward a ' merchant and banker in Boston. Mr. Fish subsequently engaged in farming. His wife, who survives, is Ann, a daughter of Nathaniel, granddaughter of George, and great-granddaughter of Nathaniel
Gorham. Mrs. Fish, now seventy-four years old, is the oldest living representative of the Gorham family in this line. She has one sister, Cordelia—Mrs. George Phinney, of Waltham, Mass. Their father, Nathaniel Gorham, was a shoemaker by trade, but carried on a successful business in salt-making and farming.
Henry W. Fish, born 1820, is a son of Isaac, whose father, Josiah, was a son of Reuben Fish, who was born in 1738 and died August 25, 1809. Henry went to sea, coasting and mackerel fishing, from 1850 to 1862, and since then has been engaged in farming. His wife was Lydia F. Holway, of Sandwich. She died in 1884, leaving one son, —Charles H.—and two daughters—Almira F. (Mrs. Edgar Jones) and Hattie E.
Joseph Folger, born on one of the Azore islands in 1822, went to Cape Horn as a sailor when he was sixteen years of age. In 1843 he went to Stonington, R. I. He was in school in Harwich in 1844. He is now a farmer in Cotuit, doing a thrifty business, with his son, in milk farming and cranberry culture. He was married in 1847 to Cynthia, a daughter of Abijah Baker, of Harwich. Their children are : Joseph B., married November 13, 1887, to Mary E. Miller; Lorenzo B., born March 16, 1850, died December 18, 1877; Dora A., married to Frederick Pinkham; Cynthia A., born July 16, 1856, married to John Knox, December 13, 1874, died June 26, 1881; and Sarah J., married to Frank F. Perry.
Herschel Fuller was born in Osterville in 1839. His father, David, was born at Marston's Mills in 1795, and was a son of Zacheus Fuller. The family came originally from Nantucket. Captain Fuller has always followed the sea in coasting and foreign trade—since 1859 as master. He was ten years m the cotton business between Galveston and Liverpool, and married in 1871, in Connecticut, to Emily, daughter of Henry Gildersleeve, a ship builder. She was born in Portland, Conn. They have had three children: Annie G., born 1872, died 1875; Henry G., born 1874; and Jennie S., born 1876.
Rev. James R. Goodspeed, born in 1832, is a son of Seth, whose father, Allen, was a son of Seth Goodspeed. Rev. Mr. Goodspeed followed the sea for twenty-six years, beginning in 1847. In 1873 he received a license to preach in the Methodist Episcopal church, and did pastoral work until 1879, then joined the Methodist Protestant church, and has since been engaged in pastoral labors in that church. He was for five years pastor of the Methodist Protestant church in Rochester, Mass.
Franklin B. Goss.—The reader of the preceding pages may have noticed how largely the ranks of the public and professional men have been filled by those who first came to the Cape as teachers of the common schools; but when William Whittemore Goss, of Weston, Vt.,
came to Brewster and married Hannah Foster, a family was established with such hopes as Shakspeare's witch gave to Banquo. Mr. Goss became well known in the central towns of the county as a teacher for more than thirty years, and his sons are prominent to-day in journalism and in public and business affairs. He died in 1884, at the age of eighty-two, and his wife—seven years his junior—still survives. The fourth of their fifteen children—Franklin B.—was born in Brewster, Mass., July 17, 1831. At the early age of nine he was put to work on a farm in Dennis, thus beginning a life of labor and self-reliance at a time when most boys are receiving careful training. Five years later, becoming dissatisfied with this work and aiming to enter a more congenial kind of business, he secured a position as apprentice in the printing office of the Barnstable Patriot. For the next seventeen years he was employed in various capacities connected with the publication of newspapers, during which time he developed a marked talent for editorial work, which served as the foundation for the success which has characterized his subsequent labors. In 1851, when twenty years of age, he was foreman in the office of the Yarmouth Register.
Subsequently, in connection with Benjamin C. Bowman, of Falmouth, he established a newspaper called the Cape Cod Advocate, which was printed in Barnstable during six months and then removed to Sandwich. In 1853 he left the Advocate and removed to Middleboro, where he engaged in the publication of the Nemasket Gazette, now the Middleboro Gazette. Leaving the Gazette and returning to Barnstable he held the responsible position of foreman in the Patriot printing-office till 1868, when he took charge of the advertising business of Richards' Dock Square clothing house in Boston. In 1869 he, with George H. Richards, purchased the establishment which he entered as an apprentice twenty-four years previous, and began his editorial career upon The Barnstable Patriot, which has attained a solid and honorable success. The Patriot, at this time, was democratic ; but. under Mr. Goss' management, it was emancipated from, the domination of that party and placed in the ranks of republicanism, where his sympathies were already enlisted. From this time the influence of the Patriot increased, and under his judicious management it speedily mounted to a high place as one of the principal exponents in the county of every just, liberal and righteous cause. Such was its reputation that it received the cognomen, "The Cape Cod Bible."
This position, as editor of a leading republican paper, brought him into active political life, and the popularity and influence he had won upon the Cape led to his appointment as Special Inspector of the Customs for the District of Barnstable, which position he held until December, 1875. He was appointed, July 8,1876, collector of the district
by President Grant, and continued in this position till removed by President Cleveland, August 8,1887. His administration of the affairs of the custom house was marked by conspicuous ability as an executive officer. He won as friends many who at first doubted his fitness, and among these he subsequently found his most staunch supporters. His official career was so honorable and efficient that President Harrison reappointed him July 20, 1889.
Mr. Goss is a tireless worker. In addition to his official duties and his work upon the Patriot, he finds time to superintend the publication of the Chatham Monitor, the Cape Cod Bee and the Sandwich Observer, which, together with the Provincetown Advocate and the Harwich Independent, are flourishing local papers owing their existence and permanency to him. Always prominent as an advocate of the cause of temperance, he is a prohibitionist, but has ever looked to the republican party as the proper organization through which to further temperance legislation. He was a member of Hyannis Lodge, Sons of Temperance, and Dawn of Truth Lodge of Good Templars during their existence. He was Chief Templar and District Deputy of the latter lodge for several 3'ears. In 1854 he was admitted a member of Cape Cod Lodge of Odd Fellows and filled the N. G. chair for several terms. Lie was also initiated as a Mason in James Otis Lodge soon after it was instituted in 1866.
He was married in Barnstable, January 20, 1852, to Mary Gorham, daughter of Captain Joseph and Lucy (Childs) Parker of Barnstable. Of this union there were five children: F. Percy, Alton Parker, William F. M., Lillie Stanley and George Richards Goss—the latter deceased. His son, F. Percy Goss, is associated with him in the printing business; Alton Parker Goss is editor and proprietor of the Harwich Independent; William F. M. Goss is Professor of Experimental Engineering in Purdue University at Lafayette, Indiana: his daughter, Lillie Stanley Goss, has pursued an extended course in music and ranks among the best of local pianists and teachers.
Mr. Goss, always active in promoting the interests of his town, has been elected on her board of school committee, where he has rendered valuable service. He has also been, for many years, an officer of the County Agricultural Society. He is a ready and pungent writer, and in all his newspaper work, particularly in that kind of controversial style which often becomes necessary in the defense of his principles or his friends, he is always at home, and clothes his thoughts in plain and vigorous Saxon, which reaches direct the heart and understanding. Born as he he was to the lot of the humble and the poor, he was early taught some great principles which rich men's sons ought to understand, but which the very fact of their wealth prevents them from realizing. The limitations which he early and keenly felt be-
came an impulse, and those environments which would have kept some natures down, became his solid stepping stones. The school where he learned his most valuable lessons was kept by Dame Necessity, and under her stern discipline, he acquired a vigor of thought and action which has made him what he is. Upon the foundation laid in the rural schools of Brewster and Dennis he built carefully and well, and by wide observation, years of reading and intercourse with men, he has gained what the college and university often fail to impart, and in the great test of actual experience he has acquitted himself fully.
Such, in brief, is the course, and such the result of a career which bears a useful lesson. Whatever criticisms may spring from political contests, whatever thoughts arise from the friction of business, his success is undoubted and undisputable.
Captain Benjamin Hallett of Osterville was born January 18, 1760, and died on the last day of 1849. He was three years in the revolution, was a pioneer in the coasting trade, and raised the first Bethel flag in Boston harbor. He was a Christian patriarch of the Baptist church for sixty-five years. He had thirteen children, the only son being Hon. Benjamin F. Hallett, United States district attorney under President Pierce. Commissioner Henry L. Hallett of Boston is a son of Benjamin F.
Charles Gorham Hallett, born in 1827, is a son of Nathaniel and grandson of Joshua Hallett, and like both these ancestors, has made carpentry work his chief business. He built for several years in Provincetown, where he married Elvira, a daughter of Captain Enoch Nickerson, of Provincetown. Their only child is Lucretia G. Hallett. George W. Hallett. postmaster at Hyannis, was born in 1840. From 1885 he was two years special deputy collector of customs and disbursing agent for the Barnstable County district. He was at one time in business in Boston, seven or eight Years, and is favorably known in the central part of the Cape. His wife was a daughter of Zenas D. Bassett, one of the most prominent men of Hyannis of his time, who died December 30, 1864, at the age of seventy-eight.
Gideon Hallett. born in 1817, is one of five sons of Henry Hallett and grandson of Rowland Hallett. In 1843 he married Martha A., daughter of Eleazer and granddaughter of Gershom Bearse. He has one daughter, Alma L. (Mrs. Alton C. Bearse). Mr. Hallett was at sea when nineteen years old, was captain at twenty-eight, and from 1852 to 1865 was in a restaurant business in Boston. He was subsequently interested with Timothy Crocker in a business at Railroad wharf, at Hyannis.
William Allen Hallett, now living retired at Hyannis, was born there in 1819, and followed the sea from boyhood. For thirty-two
years prior to 1887 he was captain of a steamer in the Boston and Baltimore line.
Roland T. Harlow, son of Oliver Harlow, came to this county ten years ago. He is engaged in farming, and is also a jobber and contractor. His wife was Emma H. Hodges, from Mansfield, Mass. They have two sons and one daughter.
John M. Handy, born in 1830, was a son of Bethuel Handy, the ship builder, whose father came to Cotuit from Mattapoisett. He went to sea at sixteen years of age. and continued until about 1884, after which he was in business at Cotuit Port until his death in 1889. His wife was a daughter of William Crosby.
Captain Thomas Harris was born in Boston in 1802, and died in Barnstable in March, 1889. He went to sea when only nine years of age, and at twenty-one was captain of a coasting vessel; for several years subsequently he was at sea in the Russia trade. He went to California during the gold excitement, returning in 1851. He served one term as sheriff of Barnstable county by election, after having served part of one term by appointment. His wife, who survives him, is Mehitable G., a daughter of Jabez Nye, of Brewster. The youngest of their seven children is Marcus N. Harris, of Barnstable, who was born in 1848.
Ira L. Hinckley, born at Osterville in 1852, is a son of Lot and grandson of Nymphas Hinckley, whose father came from England, whence his ancestor, a descendant of Governor Hinckley, had removed from Barnstable. His business is carpentering and building. He was in Boston and in Connecticut from 1870 to 1876, and is now living in Osterville. His wife, Mary, is a daughter of Bacon Coleman, of Hyannis. They have one son and one daughter.
John Hinckley, the head of the firm of J. Hinckley & Son, contractors and builders, was born in 1820. He is a son of Isaac Hinckley, whose father, John, was called "Brick House John." His house, perhaps the first one built of brick in town, stood about one and one-half miles west of the present court house. At sixteen the present Mr. Hinckley began business as carpenter, which he still carries on. He was married in 1845 to Mary, daughter of Capt. John Hall. They have two children, Hannah and Frank H. Frank H. Hinckley, born in 1850, now lives where Captain Hall lived. His wife was Hattie Gorham. They have six children : Grace H., Mary Louise, Anna G., Frank H., jr., Alice M., and John Edward.
Joseph N. Hinckley, born in 1829, is a son of Joseph and grandson of Dea. Sylvanus Hinckley. He followed the sea about thirty-nine years prior to 1883, twenty years of this time being in merchant steamers with William P. Clyde & Co., in West India trade. He lived nine years in Camden, N. J. His wife was Julia A. Cornish, of Nan-
tucket. Their children are: Emma (Mrs. Harry Boddy, of Camden, N. J.). Rachael ('Mrs. Charles Davies, also of Camden), Eliza, Herbert N., and Joseph W. Hinckley.
Nathan A. Hopkins, born in 1828, is a son of Leonard Hopkins, whose father, Joshua, was a son of Joshua Hopkins. This family are direct descendants from Stephen Hopkins, the Pilgrim, through his son Giles, whose sons located in Eastham (Orleans) at an early date. Nathan A. Hopkins came from Orleans to Barnstable in 1832. He was in California from 1861 to 1855. and was for eight years in business, roofing and concreting, at Stoneham, Mass. Since 1875 he has been farming here. He was married in 1857 to Vesta A. Gray, from Concord, Maine. They have one son, Allen O. Hopkins, and have lost a daughter, Nellie A.
Henry L. Hopkins, third son of Leonard Hopkins, was born April 3, 1841, in Barnstable. Leonard removed from Orleans to Barnstable in 1832, and did a salt-making business here for a time, and in 1851 he sold out to Alvin Howes and went to California, where he died in 1853. Henry L. was engaged with his brother Nathan in farming, for a time, but is now a carpenter. He was married in 1885 to Mary J., daughter of Captain James P. Cotelle, of Dennis. Two other sons of Leonard Hopkins, Leonard Freeman and George W., now reside at Stoneham, Mass.
Captain Alvin Howes, born in Dennis in 1800, was a son of Isaiah Howes, also of Dennis. Captain Howes was at sea in early life, and later was successfully engaged in salt making in Barnstable at the Common Fields. He sold all his salt works to Truman D. Eldridge about 1867. He died in 1870, in Barnstable. His widow, surviving, is Maria W., sister of Amos Otis, the author of the "Otis Papers." Her father, Amos Otis, was a cousin of Colonels James and Joseph Otis. The family are descended from John Otis, the first of the name to settle in this county.
Nathaniel Howland, son of John and grandson of David Howland,. was born in West Barnstable in 1810. He became a ship carpenter and worked at Mattapoiset, Stonington and New Bedford. His mother was a daughter of Nathaniel Howland. who was an uncle of the Jabez Howland who kept the old tavern at West Barnstable. His wife was Dorinda, daughter of Ansel Fish, of Sandwich. She died,, leaving four children, of whom three—Darius. Martha T. and Edwin T.—are living.
William C. Howland, born in 1823, is the oldest of the five children of Jason Howland, whose father, Ansel, was a brother of the Jabez Howland of the old tavern at West Barnstable. William C. was, prior to 1880, for twenty-five years assistant superintendent at the work-
house, Bridgewater, Mass. He has one sister and two brothers, one of whom has a family.
Braley Jenkins6 (Deacon Braley5, 1775-1873: Simeon4, 1733-1808; Samuel3, born 1700; Thomas2, born 1666; John1), was born in 1812. Braley Jenkins5 was for many years, and until his death, deacon of the Congregational church. His residence, where the present Braley Jenkins lives, at the head of Hinckley's lane, was built about 1700. Mr. Jenkins.who has never married, makes farming Iris present business but worked at house-carpentering most of his earlier life. In 1852 he was chairman of the building committee to remodel the Congregational church building. John Jenkins1, aged twenty-six. sailed from England in the Defence of London, in July. 1635. and first settled in Plymouth. In 1637 he volunteered in the Pequot war and in 1645 in the Narragansett expedition. He was often a juror and in 1644 was constable of Plymouth. In 1652 he was a freeman in Barnstable, and in 1659 was one of the men appointed by the colony court to purchase Succonesset of the Indians.
Asa Jenkins7 (Charles6, Asa5, Nathan4, Ebenezer3, died 1750; Thomas2, born 1666; John1), was born in 1838. He followed the sea most of the time from 1851 to 1874. His present business is farming and cranberry culture. His wife, Martha Josephine, is a daughter of Eben Whelden. Their two sons are Thornton and Fred Stanley Jenkins. Mr. Jenkins served nine months, in 1862, with Company D, Forty-fifth Massachusetts Regiment. He had a brother, William B. Jenkins, who at his death left one daughter, Nellie Jenkins.
Charles E. Jenkins, son of Nathan, who died in 1865, and grandson of Asa5, was born in 1830, and in 1863 married Mercy N. Bursley, whose father, Washington Bursley, was a son of Josiah and grandson of the John Bursley before mentioned as born in 1741. Nathan Jenkins, a farmer, was county commissioner and overseer of the poor and taught school several years in the Bursley district. Charles E. followed the sea from the age of seventeen, for twenty-five years, in the foreign merchant service. He was master of the merchant ship Raven and has been eight times around the world.
James H. Jenkins, born 1831, is a son of George Jenkins, born 1805, grandson of Asa, (1769-1847); and great-grandson of Nathan Jenkins4, who lived on the road between West Barnstable and Marston's Mills. James H. followed the sea from 1845 to 1871. He was sixteen years captain of an East India and California merchantman. Since then he has been a farmer on the "Plains." He has been a member of the school committee several years, fifteen of which he has been secretary of the committee.
James T. Jones, the youngest merchant in West Barnstable, born in Sandwich in 1843, is a son of Eliphalet and grandson of Asa Jones.
In 1862 he served nine months in Company D, Forty-fifth Massachusetts Volunteers. His wife. Nancy M., is a daughter of John B. Holway.
William F. Jones, born in 1819, is a son of Benjamin Jones, who was born in East Sandwich. A blacksmith by trade, he has made that his principal business, but is well known as the former stage man from West Barnstable to Cotuit for many years. His wife was Ruth Chandler of Middleboro. They have one child, Ellenetta Jones.
Ferdinand G. Kelley.—Among the solid men of Barnstable county whose lives hare made a lasting imprint upon this generation. F. G. Kelley of Centreviile has an undoubted place. He was born September 14, 1818, at Centreviile, and is the son of Jonathan Kelley, deceased, who in his, lifetime was a prominent business man of the town. Here he resided, while attending school, until he was seventeen rears of age. In 1836 he entered the store of Simon Parkhurst at Nantucket, returning to Centreville early in 1837 to act as clerk in the store of the Centreville Trading Company. In 1840 his father and himself purchased the store and goods, and since that time Mr. Kelley has been the central figure in the business history of this vil-lage. In 1839 he received a commission signed by Postmaster General Amos Kendall, appointing him postmaster at Centreville, which position he has since held, and in 1843 he was commissioned as justice of the peace, which commission has since been regularly renewed. In 1845 he was elected clerk and treasurer of the town, which position, after years of faithful service, he resigned, much to the regret of the people, who for twenty-six years of the time had made his election unanimous. Upon his declination to longer serve, resolutions highly complimentary of his worth and services were offered in the March meeting of 1885 by General John H. Reed, and were unanimously passed and recorded.
In July, 1865, when the First National Bank of Hyannis was organized, he was chosen one of its directors, and has been its vice-president since 1887. At the organization of the Hyannis Savings Bank he was elected vice-president; in 1871 he was chosen as president, which office he held until the bank closed its business in 1874, as noticed in the history of Hyannis. He resigned the office of school committee after several years' service. He was elected by the town to locate and procure the soldiers' monument, the site for which he gave; and at the organization of the Soldiers' Memorial Association he was chosen president and made chairman of the executive committee, which places he still fills. In fact there has hardly been an important event, or any complicated town business during his term of public life of forty years, of which he has not been the head and front; and during all these years his own business has been most industriously
kept in good order, even in uniting in marriage during his official career 150 happy couples.
Enough of the public acts of Mr. Kelley has been enumerated to show the reader how important an element he has been in the town; and to mention his efficient services during the rebellion, in his varied duties, would swell the list to a wearisome number. As a schoolmate of Judge Henry A. Scudder and Hon. George Marston his record in another line is as bright; and the monument of his usefulness will be as lasting.
Sears C. Lapham was born in Dartmouth, Mass., in 1835. He went to Sandwich in 1852 as a clerk, and removing to South Sandwich in 1866, he began a mercantile business, which he carried on fifteen years. In 1880 he removed to Cotuit, where he kept a store in a small building south of the church. The building in which his present store is kept was erected in 1882. His first wife was Cynthia, daughter of Calvin Maggs. She left one son, Elmer Lapham. The second Mrs. Lapham, Mercy F., daughter of E. C. Percival, died August 26, 1889.
Clark Lincoln, son of Clark and Mary Lincoln and grandson of Nathaniel Lincoln, was born in Brewster in 1820. He learned the blacksmith trade in Yarmouth, and about 1842 came to Centreville and opened a blacksmith shop, which he carried on for about twenty years. Since 1860 he has done a plumbing and stove business. He was in the legislature two years as a republican. His wife is Abbie T., a daughter of Seth T. Whelden, jr. Their only child is Mary E. Lincoln.
Henry F. Loring, born in 1836, is a son of Eliphalet, grandson of Elijah, and great-grandson of Abner Loring. His wife, who died November 27, 1886, was Eliza A. Whitman, daughter of Isaac and granddaughter of Doctor Whitman of West Barnstable. She left one son, Frank W. Loring. Mr. Loring's business is farming. North of his house, on his farm, is the site of one of the early Crocker homesteads.
Frederick G. Lothrop, born in Hyannis in 1832, is a son of John Lothrop, of Barnstable, a descendant from Rev. John Lothrop. Frederick Lothrop followed the sea. in the foreign merchant service, from the age of thirteen until about 1861; he was then in South American business in New York until 1865, when he bought a large schooner, and was for nine years in the United States coasting trade. In 1876 he established the wholesale export produce house, known as Lothrop & Marsh, 16 Coenties slip, New York, which is doing a successful business at the present time. His wife, Ella F., is a daughter of Captain George Hallett. They have two sons—Frederick G., jr., and Percy.
Andrew Lovell, born in 1813, is a son of Zenas Lovell, whose father, Andrew Lovell, formerly ran a sloop from Cotuit to Nantucket,
and died here at the age of eighty-three. At twenty years of age, and for thirty-six )rears after, the present Andrew Lovell had charge of vessels in the coastwise merchant service. He was elected nineteen times in succession as member and chairman of the selectmen, and "was in the legislature two years. His wife was Caroline L. Lovell, of another family. They have one child, Lizzie E., a teacher in Cotuit.
Cyrenius A. Lovell.—Mr. Lovell represents a family who, in 1696, came to the south side of the Cape and were early identified with its interests. In 1774 Jacob Lovell, one of the direct lineal descendants, held a commission under King George III., and was among the first in the county to resign it and espouse the cause of the people for liberty. Joshua, his son, resided at Osterville, and was active in the affairs of the town. Jacob, son of Joshua, was born here, and was twice married, Mrs. Leonard becoming the second wife. Three children survive the first marriage, and of the second Cyrenius A. Lovell is the only representative, his nearest surviving kin in the ancestral line being the half-sisters and brother of the first marriage.
He was born on the home farm, Osterville, August 12, 1833, and after a limited education in the common school, engaged in a sea-faring life. January 26, 1858, he married Abbie P., daughter of Josiah Ames, of Osterville, and their children were: Alice, who married Thomas Pattison; Cyrenius A., jr., at home; and Abbie W., also at the homestead. The wife and mother departed this life February 24, 1878, and two years after, January 13, 1880, Mr. Lovell married Mary A., daughter of Wilson Crosby, of Centreville.
At the early age of fourteen he engaged as cook, and for three years he followed the coasting business, with one year before the mast, and two years as mate, and when in his twenty-first year, he had advanced to the command of a schooner. He acted as master twenty-nine years, coasting between Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore during the summer season, and making voyages to New Orleans and West Indies during the winter. After thirty-six years of successful sea life, he retired in 1883 to the enjoyment of those social relations and the home so dear to him. In 1874 he had his present residence erected on the high land, from which, is enjoyed a commanding view of Osterville to the west, and of the bay and sound to the south.
But few of the type of masters of which he is a worthy representative, have spent the years on the stormy main, and in the vigor of manhood have retired, and few have a keener sense of appreciation for the enjoyment of luxurious surroundings and social relations.
George Lovell.—This representative man of Barnstable was the third child of Cornelius and Abigail Lovell. His father was a prominent man of his day, and the records of the town show that, on the 26th
of June, 1776, he joined with Joseph Otis and a few other patriots in signing- a protest condemning the tyranny and oppression of the mother country, and also the actions of some of his townsmen who favored the British cause. He had eight sons and five daughters. One child only survives, Cornelius Lovell, of Boston.
George Lovell, like most young men of that period, followed the sea, serving in various capacities until, quite early in life, retiring with a competency, he was able to devote himself to those interests which he had acquired in his shipping, and which formed the business of his future life. He was twice married. His first wife was Mary Hilliard, a resident of the adjacent village of Stoughton. There w^ere born to them eight children. His second wife was Adeline Hallett, a daughter of Benjamin Hallett. of Osterville. There were born of this marriage six children.
His excellent judgment and integrity were recognized by all with whom he had dealings, and he was, to many, the adviser, counsellor .and friend. In connection with two well known residents of Barnstable. Zenas D. Bassett and Matthew Cobb, he organized the Despatch Line, which was the first packet line between Boston, New York and Albany. This enterprise, at that date, was fully equal to a line of steamers between Great Britain and this country at the present time.
During the war of 1812, while sailing in company with other vessels from Boston to New York, being pursued by a privateer, he was skillful enough to take advantage of a slight change of wind to out-sail the fleet, and arrived safely at his destination, with his valuable cargo untouched, while his companions were overtaken and captured. On another occasion he was not so fortunate, and was carried to Dartmoor, where he endured with many of his fellow townsmen the privations and hardships of that prison.
He was one of the original directors of the Barnstable Bank, which bore the honored names of Otis, Bacon, Crowell, Bassett and others. In the welfare of the Baptist church he took an abiding interest. For the only church edifice of that denomination ever built in Osterville he gave the land, and a large portion of the funds, and always contributed most generously to the support of the minister. He was a pioneer in the cause of temperance, at a time when such a position meant often loss of friends and social standing. He was a man of fine presence, with a genial smile and a dignified bearing. He died at the age of seventy-four, in the month of November, 1861, leaving the record of a useful and honored life.
Captain Oliver C. Lumbert, born in 1848, is a son of Josiah Lumbert. whose father, Josiah Lumbert. was a farmer of Centreville. His mother was a daughter of David Rogers, who came from Harwich .and built one of the first buildings in the part of Cotuit where Captain
Lumbert lives. The captain, after various service at sea. has since 1881 been running vessels in which he is owner, between New York, Philadelphia and Boston, in the coal trade.
A. D. Makepeace.—In the spring of 1854. in the little village of Hyannis, on the south shore of Cape Cod, a young man hung out a sign offering, among strangers, his services as a harness-maker and saddler. The community soon knew of him as Mr. Makepeace, the new harness-maker from Wareham, and might easily have known that he was born at Middleboro on the 23d of January, twenty-two years before. The only place a poor mechanic could expect in a conservative New England town was such a place as his own inherent ability could create for himself, and so, under stern limitations, Abel Denison Makepeace began his career. His parents were Alvin and Drusilla Makepeace. She was a daughter of David, and granddaughter of Silas Swift, of good old Quaker stock, at West Falmouth. Alvin Makepeace (1800-1833) and his father, Deacon Lysander, were cloth manufacturers in Bristol county, where the family name has been known and honored for two hundred years. Dea. Lysander Makepeace was a prominent man of Norton, Mass., where he filled many public stations, and represented his town in the legislature.
The original pioneer of this family in America was Thomas Makepeace, whose name is in the list of passengers from London to Dorchester in the ship James in 1(335. He was given, September 27, 1637, a house lot in Boston, where is now Hanover street, near Court. His. place and elate of birth cannot be here stated with authority, but his will, recorded in the first volume at Boston (page 518), was dated June 30, 1666, and he died before the following March. His son, William, who was accidentally drowned, in August. 1681. ( Plymouth Colony records, Vol. VI, page 75.) left a son, William, and his son—the third William (born at Taunton, 1704, and died at Norton, 1740)—was the father of Peter Makepeace, who was father of Lysander, above mentioned, making the subject of this article a descendant in the eighth generation of this family in the New World. It is not the purpose to concern ourselves with the English ancestry of any family, but as many family names have been corrupted and changed, we stop only to notice that the orthography of this has remained since the reign of Queen Elizabeth, when it was borne by some of the gentry of Warwick county, England.
While he at first depended, at Hyannis, upon his shop and his trade, his taste for agriculture soon led to the purchase of a farm there, which he successfully carried on. One thousand bushels of potatoes and two hundred bushels of strawberries are some of the items in one year's account of his farm produce. Not all his farming-was at once successful, for he was among the experimenters who, be-
fore 1860, lost most of their investments in attempting to produce cranberries. The remarkable career of Mr. Makepeace in this great industry practically began in 1874, when, being thoroughly satisfied with the prospects, he bought a large tract at Newtown and soon extended his business rapidly by the purchase of other suitable lands and water rights in Barnstable and Plymouth counties, until he is recognized by all New England as the foremost man in the cranberry business, being now at the head of a combination of owners, cultivating more acres and producing, by far, larger results than any other firm or combination in the world. Their crop in 1867 was sixteen thousand barrels. The business of reclaiming the lands best suited to their cultivation requires, as we have noticed in a preceding" chapter, a large investment of time and money, and, at that period and on many occasions since, Mr. Makepeace has had the benefit of the financial support of George F. Baker, of Boston—a man of large means, who has always had unlimited faith in the business sagacity and executive ability of Mr. Makepeace.
The cranberry lands which Mr. Makepeace controls were all purchased on his individual responsibility, but as the business exceeded the possibility of single ownership, associations have been formed, under his management, to develop and operate them. Six such associations have been formed, which are now consolidated as five. The first organization was in 1882, and is still known as the Wankinco Company in Plymouth county. Eight years before its organization some of the men who held its first shares were among his partners in other lands. The Frog-Foot Company and the A. D. M. Company, organized in 1885,1886, are in Plymouth county. The Marston's Mills and Woodland Companies, in Barnstable, were organized in 1888, 1880. Of these five companies Mr. Makepeace is treasurer and manager, and holds the same relation to the Mashpee Manufacturing Company, incorporated February 19, 1867, under the state law, and now owning the largest tract of cranberry land in Mashpee; and also to the Carver Bog Company, owning one of the most profitable bogs in the state. Since coming to the Cape Mr. Makepeace has had great confidence in the agricultural resources and possibilities of this portion of New England, and this faith and the works based upon it entitle him to be regarded as the rejuvenator of Cape Cod agriculture, and the reclaimer of many of its once worthless acres.
He has been an officer many years in the Agricultural Society of the county, and at the death of Charles C. Bearse was elected director of the Hyannis National Bank. In politics Mr. Makepeace has been an independent democrat since 1872—a position well known to be far from popular on Cape Cod—yet in the canvas for state senator in 1883, and for representative in 1885, he received a very flattering;
vote. It cannot be said that he is a politician. Whatever of political prominence he enjoys is the outcome of his remarkable business success along' the single line wherein his energies and executive ability are unceasingly brought into action. He has never sought political office or party favors, but his interest in the affairs of the town led him to serve six years on the school committee prior to 1884, when he resigned. In 1888. after three years' service on the board of selectmen, he resigned that position also.
Two years after coming to Hyannis Mr. Makepeace was married, January 2, 1856, to Josephine Crocker, and for more than twenty-five years before removing to West Barnstable, where he now lives, his home was at Hyannis. They have three sons: William F.. John C. and Charles D. Makepeace. Their second son was Edward Lincoln Makepeace, a promising young man, who died at the age of twenty. The oldest son, William F., married a daughter of the late Josiah Crocker, and also resides at West Barnstable.
Russell Marston.—This is a family name which for more than one hundred and fifty 3-ears has been a part of the social, business, political and professional history of Barnstable county. In 1716 Benjamin Marston, a clothier of Taunton, came to Barnstable and settled at Marston's Mills, where he died in 1769. His widow, who survived him until 1774. was Lydia Goodspeed, another old family name. From this couple, whose graves are in the West Barnstable cemetery, have descended all the Marstons of Cape Cod. Accepted traditions make Benjamin the son of John Marston, a clothier of Salem, where his father, John, and his grandfather Dea. John Marston, lived and where Benjamin was born.
At Marston's Mills Benjamin's seven children were born. Esquire Nymph as Marston, the third of the seven, was born in 1728, and at his death in 1788 was a central figure in local history. Prince Marston. the fourth son, married a Winslow and had six sons: Isaiah, Nymphas, Winslow, John, Benjamin, and Prince. Of this generation Winslow received from his uncle Nymphas, the landed estate at Marston's Mills and left it in turn to his two sons—Judge Nymphas Marston, the eminent lawyer, and Hon. Charles Marston. afterward Indian commissioner. The late Attorney General George Marston was a son of this Charles. Another of the six children of Benjamin and Lydia (Goodspeed) Marston received his father's name and was the Benjamin Marston still remembered as having lived in an ancient house on the knoll northwesterly from the grist mill at the Mills. He married Rebecca Whelden, and at his death was succeeded at the grist mill by his two sons—Clement and Allen. Clement married Sarah Adams and had seven sons, the youngest of whom, born on the 14th of October, 1816, is the Russell Marston of this sketch.
His boyhood was passed where three generations of ancestors had lived, and with such knowledge of books as a boy might get in a few winters and fewer summers in a country school, he began at sea, what almost every Cape Cod boy sooner or later made the goal of his ambition. The three dollars which a boy might expect for a month of general usefulness on a coasting vessel was the princely salary by the earning of which young Marston obtained his first ideas of the value of money. This stern discipline, which has produced so many careful, conservative men. has borne its fruit in his life as well; for upon that discipline he has built a successful career and a fortune.
By 1846 he had command and ownership in a small coasting vessel named the Outvie, but he determined to abandon the sea, and in the spring of 1847, as half owner of a small victualling stand on Commercial street, in Boston, he began the development of the business which has since made his name familiar to half the men of New England. In 1853 he located in Brattle street, where he and his only son, as R. Marston & Co., continue the popular and prosperous restaurant business.
In the small beginnings and stern necessities which surrounded Mr. Marston from early life we may find the foundation of his subsequent business success, but for the main-springs of his moral character and the source of those radical political views which have distinguished him we must probably look further back. That he has an inborn reverence for right and an abhorrence of injustice no one may question. Although the son of a democrat he was early fired with a lifelong hatred of slavery by the irresistible logic of Garrison and the captivating eloquence of Wendell Phillips, and once committed to the cause of the oppressed as a matter of right, nothing was too much for him to undertake in their behalf. He was counted a Garrisonian and fearlessly took his stand as an abolitionist with Garrison, Thompson and Phillips, when such a course hazarded a man's social position, political prospects and business opportunities, and for a time his was the only business place of the kind in Boston, opened to the colored man.
Finding then that the churches were general!y arrayed on the side of the slave-holders as their champions or apologists made a lasting impression upon his mind and easily obliterated whatever of reverence for church authority he might have inherited from his Puritan ancestors, and at last we find him in the modern school of liberal thinkers.
In his domestic relations Mr. Marston has been signally favored. On the eighth of February, 1842, he married Sarah Crosby, of Centreville, sister of Alvin Crosby, mentioned as the venerable merchant there. Two children—Howard, and Helen Garrison—blessed this union.
Howard married Ella M., a daughter of F. G. Kelley, and has one son— Shirley Marston. Helen married Hammon Woodbury, and has two children—Ethel M., and Marston Woodbury. Mr. Marston's beautiful home and the summer residences of his children are in Centreville, where he has for thirty years identified himself with the community and its interests, and never forgetting the days of his own obscurity, with an open hand and a warm heart, he keeps himself in continual sympathy with the less fortunate and the humble.
Julius Nickerson, born in 1855, is a son of Aaron Nickerson, who died in 1889, grandson of Aaron and great-grandson of Seth Nickerson, of Harwich. His mother was Caroline, daughter of Benjamin Ewer, a soldier in the war of 1812. Mr. Nickerson was at sea for twenty years prior to 1888. His wife is a daughter of the late Charles C. Bearse.
Samuel Nickerson, son of Samuel Nickerson whose father formerly lived in Harwich, was born in Harwich in 1809. and died in 1884. He was at sea on the Banks when but eleven years of age, and at fifteen was a cripple, and then learned carpentry. Later he was coasting until fifty years of age, when he bought cranberry property and was manager for the company, besides keeping a retail boot and sho*3 store. His widow surviving, was a Miss Page. Her children are: Winfield Scott, now in Harvard College; Rosa Page, widow of Charles N. Scudder, and Judson V., deceased.
Seth Nickerson, born 1814, is a son of Seth, 1780-1865; and Polly (Hall) Nickerson, 1784-1860. These were both born in Harwich, and removed from there to Cotuit in 1811. Here they built the house now occupied by their son, Roland T. Seth Nickerson went to sea at eleven and at the age of sixteen went whaling and at twenty-two was master of the Massachusetts. He now resides at Cotuit and is interested in cranberry culture. His deceased wife was a daughter of Joseph Nickerson. Their children are: Benjamin, died May 14, 1887; Carleton B., and Ella, now Mrs. W . L. Miner, of Brockton. His present wife was from Virginia.
M. M. Nye, born in 1826, is a son of Jabez and Polly C. (Hinckley) Nye. His maternal grandfather was John Hinckley (a descendant of Governor Hinckley), who formerly owned the place now occupied by Mr. Nye. Jabez Nye was a thorough mechanic and was at one time foreman ship-builder in the Charlestown navy yard. M. M. Nye went to sea at fourteen years of age and at nineteen was second officer. In January, 1849, he went to California in the ship Edward Everett, and in 1852 to Mexico, where he stayed nearly two years. In 1862-63 he was purser on an Atlantic ship to Liverpool, and was subsequently five years superintendent for the state at Rainsford island and was two years mail agent on the Old Colony Railroad before be-
ginning his present store business in 1876 at the spot where his father had his boat shop in 1807. His wife, Mary A., is a daughter of Charles Lewis.
Amos Otis, the author of the Otis Papers, was one of the prominent men of this county. After teaching successfully for fifteen years, he began his career of forty years as cashier of the Yarmouth Bank. He had the true instincts of an historian, and in preparing his genealogical notes of Barnstable families he did a grand philanthropic act, which secures for his name a place among the Cape Cod worthies, whose names he so faithfully tried to rescue from oblivion.
Lucian K. Paine, of Hyannis Port, is a brother of Josiah Paine, the historian, and a son of Josiah Paine—a writer of some note. He has been a carpenter and builder here since 1872, and during this period has built more than a score of the finest cottages at the Port. He also built the Methodist Episcopal chapel at Centreville, and was the architect and builder of the Captain Mezeppa Nickerson cottage.
Charles F. Parker is the only living son of James H. Parker, who was born at Osterville in 1829, and was lost in Long Island sound in 1869. He was master mariner on a merchant coasting vessel. His father James, was a son of James, whose father David, was a son of Daniel and grandson of Robert Parker. Charles F. was a merchant in Harwich from 1875 to 1877, when he removed to Osterville, where he carries on a general store. He has been town clerk of Barnstable since March, 1885. His wife Emma, is a daughter of Thomas Matthews, of Yarmouth.
Charles G. Perry was born in Hoboken; he came to Hyannis to live in 1880, having married Dora, a daughter of Alexander Baxter, 2d, and was a merchant here about four years, and postmaster from 1885 to 1889. His mother was a daughter of Dr. Charles Goodspeed.
Andrew Phinney, son of Robert, was born in 1815 and died in 1884. He was a carpenter by trade, and in his later life a tradesman in stationery, traveling on the Cape. His widow, Olive G., was first married to Benjamin Jones, and has two children: Emma Jones and Stanley M. Phinney. Mrs. Phinney's father, Arthur B. Marston, was a son of John and Olive (Goodspeed) Marston, and for several years prior to 1852 was an owner in the Marston's Mills fulling mill, where he did the cloth dressing and coloring.
Captain Eli Phinney, born in 1825, is a son of Freeman and Harriet (Crosby) Phinney. Freeman's father was Solomon, son of Eli, and grandson of Thomas Phinney. This Thomas Phinney lived in a brick house that stood about twenty rods south of the Barnstable and Centreville road, near Ambrose Lewis' residence. Captain Phinney went to sea at eleven years of age. He began as cook in a thirty-two ton sloop, and filled all the places from cook to captain. He was always
in merchant service; was in the gulf ports, in the West Indies and in European trade, and was master twenty-eight years, retiring- in 1875.. His wife, Mary B., is a daughter of Watson, son of Winslow Crocker. They have two children: Harriet F. (Mrs. Chester Bearse) and George H. Phinney, of Boston.
Nelson Phinney, son of William and Jane Phinney, married Eunice, daughter of Presbrey and Susan Clark, and died at Centreville in 1886. His children were: Edwin S., Rufus E., Nelson. a lawyer in Michigan; Joseph, a banker in Kansas; John A., of Salt Lake City; Susan J. (Mrs. John B. Cornish); Emily (Mrs. Robert Kelley): Alice, a teacher; Carrie K. (Mrs. Albert Sweetser). Edwin S.. born in 1845, married Grace F., a daughter of Freeman B. and Harriet Howes. His children are: Beth F., who died in 1888; Clara E., Robert M., and Harriet S. Mr. Howes and his oldest daughter, Harriet, died in Sacramento, Cal. Rufus E. Phinney, born in Barnstable in 1847, died in Monroe, Mich., in 1884. He graduated at Michigan University in 1871, and was then elected principal of Monroe High School; was admitted to the bar in Michigan in 1874; elected judge of probate in 1876; re-elected in 1880, and was nominated as judge of superior court, Judge Cooley being prime mover in this nomination, but this office he positively declined. He was also noted as the life and soul of the red ribbon movement in his locality, being a most fearless temperance advocate,
Colonel Joseph L. Proctor, son of Jacob Proctor, was born in Lu-*nenburg, Mass., in 1834. In July, 1880, he bought the Bay View Stock Farm at West Barnstable. Its six hundred acres embrace the place where Brigadier Otis was born, and part of the Judge Shaw place. Colonel Proctor was thirteen years a commissioned officer in the regular army, resigning in October, 1873. His father. Jacob, who died in 1888 at the age of ninety-nine, was the last charter member of the Bunker Hill Monument Association.
Nelson Rhodehouse, born in Vermont in 1828, was at sea from the age of fourteen until 1875, making nine voyages round Cape Horn, five round the globe, seeing nearly every country to which a ship could be sailed. He was in the Ocean Rover, a whaler, burned by Captain Semmes, of the Alabama. He has been a resident of Cotuit since 1858. His wife is Rebecca B. Ewer, from South Sandwich. Their two daughters are Malinda, now a teacher in Harrisburg, Pa., and Catherine M.. now Mrs. Harold I. Smith, of New Bedford.
Seth Rich, born in 1823, is a son of Isaac Rich of Wellfleet, who was captain of a fishing boat, and died in 1842. Seth was at sea, fishing, from the age of eleven until twenty-five years of age. After the most discouraging struggles he began on the road, in a stationery business, which he followed sixteen years, and from a capital of $1.47
(borrowed) acquired a fair property and has a nice home in Osterville. He was married in 1864 to Augusta, daughter of Robert Lovell. Their family are Howard L. (a clerk in Boston), Walter I. (a bookkeeper in New Jersey), Florence, and Carrie M.
Wilson Ryder, born April 8, 1818, is a son of Barnabas and grandson of Edward Ryder. His wife, Betsey, was a daughter of John Marston of Yarmouth. She was born February 2, 1821, and died September 8, 1885. The present Mrs. Ryder was Eveline M. Lingham, from Brockton. Mass. She was born May 22, 1840. Wilson Ryder's children are: George W., born September 12, 1840; Elizabeth E., born May 8, 1842; Almira C, born July 31, 1843; Rebecca PL. born August 11, 1845: Franklin, born September 6, 1847: Luther M.. born July 15, 1849; Clara M., born July 22, 1854; and Asa C, born December 22, 1858.
Joshua H. Ryder, brother of Wilson, was a painter at Cotuit Port for some thirty years prior to his death there in 1879. His sons, Albert E. and Wallace, succeeded him and now carry on a prosperous business as carriage and house painters and decorators. Albert's wife is Annie W. Harlow of South Sandwich and he has one son. Wallace married Laura B., daughter of Charles D. Clayton, an Englishman who came as a boy to Cotuit and married Mary H., daughter of Grafton Phinney, of an old family here.
The ancestor of the Sears family on Cape Cod was Richard Sears, an early settler in Dennis. His descendants were Paul2, born in East Dennis; Paul3, also born in East Dennis; Paul4, who settled in Acushnet, born in East Dennis; Nathaniel5, Nathaniel6, William7, Nathaniel Sears8, who was born in Rochester, Mass., in 1825, and is now a resident of Hyannis. He was at sea in a whale ship five years before he was twenty years of age. After various changes in business he, in February. 1856, became postmaster and station agent at South Middleboro, and in 1859 removed to Hyannis and has since been conductor on the Old Colony railroad, excepting the two years in which he represented the Upper Cape district in the state legislature. His family consists of his wife and one son, Charles B. Sears of Fairhaven.
Henry B. Sears was born in Dennis in 1843. His father. Eldridge C, is a son of Eldridge Sears, who was born in 1801 and died in Dennis in 1881. Henry B. Sears learned the blacksmith trade in Dennis, and in 1866 bought, of William Jones, the only blacksmith shop in Centreville, which he still carries on. It is the same shop which Clark Lincoln built on another site, as before mentioned. His wife, Cynthia, is a daughter of Abijah Howes of Dennis.
Andrew F. Sherman, the register of deeds, was born in 1837. and in 1858 came to Sandwich as clerk for his brother, Thomas C, then a
merchant there. Five years later he succeeded him in business in the building now occupied by S. I. Morse. Later he was a few years in Washington, after which he resumed business in Sandwich, where he remained until January, 1887, when he was appointed to his present office as successor to Asa E. Lovell, deceased. He has been twice elected as his own successor, after unanimous nomination by both the republican and democratic county conventions. During his clerkship in Sandwich, he married Maria E., daughter of Captain Charles Freeman. His only son, A. Frank Sherman, jr., was editor of the Sandwich Observer prior to Mr. Pratt, as noticed by Mr. Swift at page 263, and now has charge of the printing for the Sandwich Card and Tag Company.
Captain Abner L. Small, born in 1812, is a son of Benjamin Small, who lived at Little River. He went to sea at ten years of age, at twenty-one was captain, and followed the sea in coast service until 1873. His wife, Betsey, deceased, was a daughter of Pardon A. Burlingame. She left three children, two of whom are living: Lester A., and Celia K., now Mrs. Luther G. Baker. Mr. Small's present wife, Mary, also a daughter of Pardon Burlingame, has two children: Alvan B. Falker, by a former marriage, and Benjamin M. Small, bookkeeper for Columbia Rubber Works, Boston.
Eben Smith, only son of Eben and grandson of Reuben Smith, was born in 1848. His mother. Lydia, daughter of Isaiah Hinckley, is a descendant from Governor Hinckley, and his wife is Anna L. Pope, of Newton. Mass. They have one daughter, Ethel R.
Nicholas Snow came from England in the ship Ann in . He married Constance, daughter of Stephen Hopkins, and moved to Nauset, now Eastham, in 1645. He died at Eastham in 1676. and his wife. Constance, died in 1677. They left sons—Mark. Joseph, Stephen, John, and Jabez—besides several daughters. Stephen married for his first wife widow Susanna Rogers, daughter of Stephen Doane, of Plymouth, October 28, 1663, and settled in Eastham. He married for his second wife Mary Bigford, in 1701. He died December 17,1705. His children, all by first wife and born in Eastham, were: Bathsheba, married John King; Hannah; Micaijah, married William Cole; Mehitable; Bethiah, married John Smith, and Ebenezer. Ebenezer, son of Stephen, married Hope Norton, December 22, 1698, and died before 1725. His children were: Susanna, Thomas, Ebenezer, Nathaniel (born February 7, 1705), Henry, Thankful, Elisha, Hope, Aaron, and Samuel. Nathaniel, son of Ebenezer, married Mary Doane, daughter of Nathaniel and Mary Doane, of Eastham, in 1731. He lived in Eastham, and died before 1777. His children were: Samuel, born June 6, 1733; James, July 28, 1736; Doane, February 9, 1739; and Nathaniel, April 19,1743. The last named, Nathaniel Snow, was married,
in Eastham, to Thankful Hopkins, and had children: Samuel, born October 30. 1767: James, July 28, 1769; and Nathaniel, July 11, 1771. His wife, Thankful, dying, Nathaniel Snow married Mercy Webber, of Barnstable, in 1775, and removed soon after to Hyannis, building a house at the head of what is known as Snow's creek. He brought with him his three sons—Samuel, James, and Nathaniel. James died young, and Nathaniel moved to Maine and had a large family. Nathaniel Snow had, by his second wife, Mercy Webber, three sons— Jonathan, Doane, and Prince—and five daughters—Thankful. Annie, Hannah, Mercy, Abigail, and Prudence. Samuel Snow, son of Nathaniel. married Mercy Beane and had three children: Alvan, died in September, 1861; Samuel, died, aged twenty, and Catherine, who married a Beane and died, aged about fifty-five. Alvan Snow married Almira Hinckley, of Barnstable, and had three children—Samuel, Sylvanus, and Esther, of whom only Samuel is living. He is married to Sarah J. Armington. Their son, Frank Snow, is married to Minnie Hallett, and they have a son—Sirley M. Snow. Samuel Snow is serving his second year as county commissioner. He has been in the state legislature as representative and as senator.
Joseph W. Tallman, son of Stephen B. Tallman of Cotuit, was born in 1848. His trade is mason work, in which he has done a contract business for the last twelve years. He was at sea for a time when a boy. His wife was Ellen C. Howland, of Sandwich. Their three sons are: Harry L., Ariel H., and Joseph W., jr.
Stephen B. Tallman, a mason of Cotuit, born March 20. 1827, is a son of Jonathan Bush Tallman, born 1788, and his wife, Hannah Weaver, who lived to the age of 101 years and eleven months. His grand-parents were Samuel and Sarah (Bush) Tallman of Newport, who were married May 9, 1786. Mr. Tallman's wife, Mary B., is a daughter of Joseph Cammett, a carpenter, who was a guard on the coast in the war of 1814. His father Peter, was a son of Peter Cammett, whose father Peter Cammett came from England when a child, in care of a Truro captain, who also brought at the same time a little girl named Peggy Hunniwell, whom Peter subsequently married.
Herbert S. Taylor, born in 1865, is a son of George A. Taylor, of Chatham, grandson of George and great-grandson of George Taylor. He came to Barnstable in 1883, as partner in a meat business, with Prentice H. Davis. Three years later he took the entire business which he still successfully carries on. His wife, Mercie B.. is a daughter of Captain Lewis B. Doane, of Harwich.
Robert M. Waitt, son of Samuel and Persis (Hallett) Waitt, was born in 1824. His mother was one of twelve daughters of Benjamin Haliett and a sister of Hon. Benjamin F. Hallett. Captain Waitt went to sea at ten years of age as cook, following the sea seventeen
years, most of the time in coast trade, the last six years being master. He was an inspector in the Boston custom house eight years prior to 1861. He then did, with a short interval, a restaurant business in Boston until 188S. His wife, Ellen, is a daughter of Capt. Matthias Hinckley, a descendant from Governor Hinckley. Their only living child is Arthur M. Waitt, a graduate from the Boston Institute of Technology, and an official in the car department of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway. Captain Waitt's residence is one of the oldest houses in Barnstable village. It was built in 1717 by one of two sisters named Doane, who came from down the Cape.
Joseph Whittemore, son of Hiram and grandson of Edward Lloyd Whittemore, was born in South Dennis in 1819. He has carried on a paint shop since 1849, in Barnstable. His wife, Betsey, is a daughter of Freeman Phillips of Dennis, and granddaughter of Benjamin Phillips of Harwich. Their children were: Joseph (deceased), Annah (Mrs. Alfred Kelley of Yarmouth), Alice (Mrs. Andrew Newcomb of Brewster), Louisa, Maria (deceased), Sarah (Mrs. Moses C. Waterhouse), Joseph F. of East Wareham; Hiram, a contractor at Middleboro, and Bessie M.