CapeCodHistory.us home page,
posted July 2006
note: Pictures to be added later
Falmouth, history and situation section
History of Barnstable County, Massachusetts
edited by Simeon L. Deyo.
1890. New York: H. W. Blake & Co
biographical sketches section of CHAPTER XX, Falmouth.
Lewis Baker, born in 1827, son of Edmund and grandson of Nathaniel Baker, has been a merchant in Waquoit since 1859. He married Emma B. Holmes of this town. Their family of five children are: Lewis W., Edwin J.. Hiram C, Bertha M. and Merton D. Baker. This Nathaniel Baker was originally of Yarmouth.
Newell E. Baker, brother of Lewis, was born in 1845. His place at Waquoit is the homestead of Captain Jarvis Bourne. His wife, Lizzie J. E., is a daughter of Captain Micajah Fisher. Their children are: Florence M., Alice M. and Walter N. Baker.
Mayhew Baker, son of Edmund and grandson of Nathaniel Baker, was born at Davisville in 1822. He was appointed keeper of the Falmouth almshouse in 1869, and has been reappointed annually since. He gave up his position in 1890 on account of ill health. His wife, Temperance Davis, is a daughter of Oliver Davis, granddaughter of Prince Davis and great-granddaughter of Ichabod Davis. Their three children are: Annie M. (Mrs. Herbert H. Lawrence), Herman E. Baker and Alberta H. Baker.
Captain Nehemiah P. Baker, of Teticket., a retired whaleman, seems to have inherited a love for the pursuit, as his long years on ship, and the calling of his ancestors would indicate. His father, Braddock Baker, was a successful coasting captain, and his grandfather, Barnabas, was a master in the whaling avocation, all from Falmouth, where Captain Nehemiah has chosen to rest from his labors. He was born October 10, 1823, and at the age of thirteen he went before the mast in the ship John Adams. He made two voyages in this capacity, and on his third was advanced to boat-steerer. On his fourth voyage he went as third officer, and as first on the fifth voyage, in 1847. He became master of the Gen. Pike in 1850, and in that position afterward successfully commanded the Nimrod, the William Gifford and the Rainbow, on long voyages of four years each. Other vessels of which he had command on shorter trips, were the Marengo, Coral and the Mary and Susan. The vessels were all full-rigged, first-class whalers except the William Gifford, which was bark-rigged, and the Marengo, which was a merchantman, and in which he transported a general cargo to San Francisco.
For the thirty-four years he was a whaleman he never lost a man overboard nor had one fall from aloft, and although daring in his nature and exposed to all the dangers consequent upon the Vocation, he
encountered no serious accident. One of his men, in the same boat with himself, lost a limb, the loss of blood causing death before the ship could be reached; the man was at the oar, and the line that was being run rapidly out by a whale became coiled around the limb, amputating it.
In 1871 the captain retired from active service, but subsequently made four trips to the Pacific to take the command of vessels in the interest of the owners or underwriters, and these missions were satisfactorily conducted. His ships were made in New England, and he owned and retained a share in each of them.
He married Thankful R. Fish, daughter of Francis Fish, and a descendant of an old historic family. Their children are: Charles S., who married Josephine Cameron, of Prince Edward's Island; Mary F.. wife of Dr. Darius L. Powe, of Falmouth; Nellie B., born in New Zealand, and wife of James A. Darling, of East Greenwich, R. I., and Jessie B., wife of Joseph C. Fish, jr., of Quissett. Mrs. Fish was the first of the children to gladden the hearts of the grandparents with a grandchild.
The captain, although a descendant of one of the most conspicuous and important families of the Cape, went to sea too early to gain even the education attainable then, but the forecastle, in after years, found him a diligent student and an accomplished seaman. The greatest trial he has encountered in the voyage of life has been from the use of alcoholic drinks by his friends, and so warm is his heart and humane his principles that he has determined to fight rum in defense of his fellow beings. He has espoused the cause of the prohibition party as the best way to effect this purpose, and he is the first in its ranks. His motto is "Never give up the ship," and as long as the principles of that party have a tendency to annihilate the evil, or until a better course is laid down on the chart of his manly heart, he will be a master in that line. He is not a follower of any particular religious sect, but his works and life are actuated by the most vital and important principles of the Christian faith. His anchor is "Do as you would be done by." and so deeply is it imbedded in good soil that no gales of life can drag it and cast the stately vessel upon dangerous rocks or shoals.
Christopher G. Bearse, born in Teticket in 1822, is a son of Daniel, born in Barnstable in 1781, and grandson of Daniel Bearse. When just eighteen years of age he began work as ship-cooper in Woods Holl, and continued in the business there while ship-building was carried on. Since then he has worked in New Bedford. He has been a member of the republican party since its organization. His first wife was a daughter of Captain Joseph Hatch, of Woods Holl. She died, leaving one child, Martha, now Mrs. John Coats, who lives in Texas.
Mr. Bearse's present wife is a daughter of the late Job Taber of Fairhaven. They have one daughter. Charity (Mrs. J. K. P. Purdum).
Crocker H. Bearse, born in 1810, is a son of Moses and grandson of Gershom Bearse, who formerly resided in Hyannis, dying there about 1838. Crocker H. married Susan Eldridge (deceased). His present wife, Maria T., is a daughter of Ichabod Childs and the widow of David G. Pierce. Mr. Bearse settled in Waquoit in 1832. and worked at shoe-making' several years. He was twenty-nine years merchant and postmaster, two years deputy sheriff, and a constable of the town for at least thirty years. In 1876 he was an independent candidate for the legislature to represent Sandwich and Falmouth, and was elected by about fifty majority. He has been an officer in Marine Lodge, A. F. & A. M.
Benjamin S. Bowerman. born in 1838. is a son of Prince G., whose father, Daniel, was a son of Barnabas and grandson of Daniel Bowerman. This family have been generally farmers for several generations and members of the Society of Friends. Benjamin's wife is Chloe G., a daughter of Prince G. Moore. They have one son, Albert S. Bowerman. Prince G. Bowerman's wife was Sarah, daughter of Charles Swift.
Daniel Bowerman5 (Barnabas4, Daniel3, Barnabas2, Daniel1) was born in 1832. He went to California in 1854, and was there engaged in mining seven years, and for eight years did carpentry in San Francisco. His wife (his brother Joshua's widow) was Mary J. Buffum, from Maine. She died January 2, 1887. They have one child, Virtue R., a girl of fourteen. Daniel Bowerman3 was an only son and owned the farm and house, near West Falmouth, where this grandson, Daniel, now lives.
.Samuel Bowerman, one of the eminent lawyers of Massachusetts, was a grandson of Samuel Bowerman (son of Stephen), who lived at West Falmouth.
Charles H. Burdick, born in 1852, is a son of William and grandson of Benjamin Burdick. He followed the sea three years, after which he worked at farming about three years. He then, in 1883, learned the house-carpenter trade, and now carries on an extensive business in contracting and building, employing fifteen or more men.
Josiah S. Burgess7 (James6, Bangs5, in revolution 1776; Simeon4, Joseph3, who married Thomasina Bangs of Yarmouth; John2, who married Mary Worden of Yarmouth; Thomas1, the Pilgrim) was born in 1818. His first wife was Susan Collins who left two children: J. Herbert and Helen L., now Mrs, Albert W. Tobey of West Falmouth. His second wife was Julia Waters, whom he married December 8, 1853. He was married in 1880 to the widow of Rev. Benjamin L. Saver. Mr. Burgess earl}- learned blacksmithing and has made this his business through life.
Barzillai C. Cahoon.—As you ride along the road from Falmouth to East Falmouth, the first residence on the left on entering the latter village will attract your attention on account of its beauty and situation. Thirty years ago this was a small cottage and the bank in front was high and unsightly. In 1859 the subject of this sketch purchased the farm, graded the hill into a fine terraced lawn, and transformed the cottage into the present substantial mansion. The surroundings are complete, and the residence is supplied with hot and cold water. The farm has undergone the same magical change from natural sterility to a high state of fertility, and all by the industry and thoroughness of the owner, Barzillai C. Cahoon. He removed here from Plymouth, the place of his nativity, and his business in life has been as a stock dealer and drover. Fie purchased and sold stock of all kinds not only on the Cape, at Nantucket and the Vineyard, but shipped by the carload from the Western states. In 1861, in connection with the other business, he began to supply the people with fresh meat, and was the first to attempt to supply the people in the winter; but his business grew to that extent that he kept four wagons on the road constantly and two as extras.
He was born January 21, 1830, and was the son of Samuel, whose father was Stephen Cahoon—all of Plymouth. The wife of Barzillai Cahoon was Mary D., daughter of Josiah Jones of Waquoit, and a sister of I. T. Jones of Sandwich. Their children are: Frederick A., who married Hattie Stone of Plymouth: Clara E., the wife of T. P. S. Phinney of Waquoit; George H., who married Lydia Tripp of Westport; Mary A., the wife of E. E. C. Swift, jr., of Falmouth: Ina T. and Abbie R., who reside at home.
Mr. Cahoon has been engaged in the culture of cranberries for the past twelve years, having given up his former business in 1879. Like other business enterprises that engaged his attention.he makes farming a success. He mostly uses in his bogs the Early Black vine and finds an early and ready market. He recently sold one crop of eight hundred barrels of cranberries at an average price of eight dollars per barrel when other varieties were comparatively of no value.
Although conversant with the affairs of state and being prominent in the ranks of the dominant party, he has ever declined any office of importance that would interfere with the routine of his business. He could not sacrifice too much from his own duties to fill positions that others could as acceptably. He is well and prominently known throughout the county by his extensive dealings and uniform uprightness. His choice in sacred affairs is that of the Methodist Episcopal church, to the material support of which he is a cheerful donor, and the teachings of which have been the fundamental principles of an extensive relation with his fellow being. He is at the head of a
class of mercantile men of whom there are but a few in retirement; and the same industry and neatness is as marked in his farming' operations. A view of his fine residence, when the passer-by enquires "Whose is it?" or the accompanying' sketch will be an earnest that the entire cultivated farm of Mr. Cahoon is a corresponding monument to his energy and good taste.
William W. Chadwick, born in 1820. is a son of Thacher Chadwick,, who died in 1850, and a grandson of Barnabas Chadwick, who was born in 1765 and died in 1838. Thacher Chadwick was a soldier in the war of 1812, and his widow received a pension. In early life Mr. Chadwick engaged in ship and house building, but is now a farmer. His first wife, Harriet N., was a daughter of Isaiah Hatch. At her death she left one son, Willard N., and one daughter. Mary P. (Mrs. George H. Turner). Mr. Chadwick's second wife, Hannah R., is a daughter of Frederick Davis. Their children are: Hattie F. (Mrs.. William B. Dillingham), and Annie W. Chadwick.
Frederick N. Childs, born in 1834. is a son of Ichabod H.. grandson of Joseph and great-grandson of Joseph Childs. His mother was Rebecca R. Phinney. From the time he was fifteen years old until 1863 he was engaged in whaling; was mate with Xenophen Rich, of Provincetown. He is now engaged in farming. His wife was Mary A., daughter of Philander Crocker, of Richmond, Indiana. They have one son, Granville N. P. Childs.
William Childs7 ('Thomas6, born 1799; Joseph5, born 1775: Joseph4, born 1750: Joseph3, born 1724; Joseph2, born 1699; Richard1, born 1649;) was born in 1825, and died in 1889. From his eighteenth year until 1874 he followed the sea, being master of whaling vessels the last twenty years. One of his vessels was captured and burned by Captain Semms in 1861, and was paid for through the Geneva Arbitration. Captain Childs' wife is Laura A., daughter of Thomas Hamblin. Their four children are: Annie E., Alice L., a teacher, William A. and Eliza W. The oldest daughter is the wife of Ignatius Sargent, a native of Philadelphia, now living, retired, at Waquoit.
George E. Clarke.—Among the agencies that have perceptibly shaped or influenced the history or this town, a decided place must be accorded to the character and services of George Ellery Clarke. Born in 1822 at Needham, now Wellesley, and receiving a liberal education, he came to Falmouth in 1852, a graduate of Williams College, to take charge of Lawrence Academy as its principal. He brought into this service not only a lively interest in classical and general learning, which was quick to inspire a hearty zest for scholarship in his pupils, but also a moral earnestness based on Christian life, which elevated the motives and aspirations of several young men who are now among the foremost factors of the character and reputation of
Falmouth. It is in his share of the moral and mental shaping of the present manhood of Falmouth as a teacher, that he stands most clearly as a history-maker for the town. He lives to see the faithful and earnest endeavor of those eleven best years of the prime of life, which were given to the principalship of Lawrence Academy, reproduce many fold in useful lives here and elsewhere.
In 1863 he acted as cashier of Falmouth Bank for six months, and afterwards for nine years honorably filled the position of chief clerk in the lighthouse department in Boston. Returning to Falmouth in 1873, he became cashier of the Falmouth National Bank, and for sixteen years afterwards diligently conducted the growing interests of this institution.
But during his long course of business life, his hold has not been lost on the higher interests of the community. A member of the school committee for three periods comprising nine years of intelligent service, he was assiduous in shaping the school-system of Falmouth into a manifestly improved condition, and placing it under proper superintendency. During most of the periods of his residence in the town since 1859, the religious basis of his interest in the community has been acknowledged in his position as deacon in the Congregational church. And his personal efforts for the enlightenment and help of the public, by numerous lectures and speeches on economical and political questions, have been recognized in various parts of the town as instructive and substantial.
During the period of his principalship in the Academy he was married to a daughter of Samuel Shiverick, a descendant of the first pastor in the church at Falmouth. Their only son is Lewis F. Clarke, the editor and proprietor of the Falmouth Local. Mr. Clarke was elected to the state legislature as a republican in 1889.
Seth Collins, born in 1821, is a son of Benajah and Rebecca (Baxter) Collins. Benajah was a brother of Seth Collins of Chatham, and a son of Samuel Collins. At fourteen years of age Captain Seth went to sea, which he followed until 1868. during which time he became a successful master mariner. His first wife was Diana P. Jones, who died leaving one daughter. Eliza J.. now Mrs. Harrison G. Phinney of Cotuit. His present wife, Mary, is a daughter of Allen Crocker. Their children are: Simeon D., Willie A.. Ida R. and Benajah B. Collins.
John H. Crocker, born in 1857, is a son of Allen Crocker, born in West Barnstable, grandson of Ansel and great-grandson of John Crocker of Barnstable. He is largely interested in cranberry culture in Falmouth, being manager for a company—in which he is a large stockholder—which owns nearly fifty acres of valuable bog lands here.
684Albert F. Crowell, son of Joshua, 1802-1884, and grandson of Joshua Crowell, who was lost in Plymouth bay in 1804, was born in North Falmouth in 1836, and married Franklin Nye's daughter. Charlotte R., who died in 1885. Mr. Crowell's farm contains the site of an early residence of Solomon Nye, whereon was built, probably in 1772, the present residence of Mr. Crowell.
Charles E. Davis was born in this town in 1843. He followed the sea for several years, enlisted in the United States navy in 1862 and served one year. He again went to sea and in 1865 was commander of a vessel. He is now located at Woods Holl, where he deals in wood and coal. He is principally engaged in wrecking, a business of considerable importance, formerly carried on under the name of the Woods Holl Wrecking Company.
Frederick Davis, once the postmaster at Falmouth, was, during the first third of this century, one of the principal merchants of the village. He was a native of Barnstable, but was married and settled in Falmouth. He was a tailor by trade and for years was secretary of the Masonic lodge here. Henry H. and Andrew J. Davis of Boston are his sons.
Frederick C. Davis, born August 12, 1860, is a son of Israel B. Davis, who was born in Davisville, where his father Job, son of Thomas, then lived. Frederick C. twelve years since located oyster beds on the neck west of Waquoit bay. Beginning' with but seventy-five cents, he has built up the principal oyster business of this section. His oyster beds here and on Buzzards bay amount to about two hundred acres. Fie has been interested in sheep raising two years. He is married to Susan B. Hammond.
George H. Davis, son of Nymphas, grandson of Joseph and great-grandson of Joseph Davis, was born in 1841. His wife is Emma E. Sanborn, from Exeter, New Hampshire, formerly a teacher here. They have one child, Alma L. Mr. Davis has been variously engaged as cattle dealer, contractor, real estate solicitor and farmer. He is serving his fourth term as overseer of the poor of Falmouth, and has held other minor offices.
Henry T. Davis, born in Woods Holl in 1838, is a son of Thomas G. Davis, whose father. Jabez, born 1766. was a son of Solomon, born 1720, and a grandson of Jabez and Annah (Wicks) Davis, all of whom have been residents of Falmouth. Thomas G. Davis was born May 15, 1808, and died March 14, 1877. He was married in 1835, to Mahala E., daughter of Josiah and Rebecca Eldridge. She was born September 17, 1809, and died April 8, 1890. Their children were: Mary B., Henry T.. Lydia B., Georgianna, Josiah E., Rebecca E. and Thomas G., jr. Henry T. volunteered as an officer in the navy, October 1, 1863, and served until August 7,1867. He followed the sea as a whale-
man until 1874. In the spring of 1875 he began a grocery business in Woods Holl, as a member of the firm of Davis & Hamblin, and was burned out in 1877. In 1879 he opened his present market, the principal one at Woods Holl. He was married March 1, 1875. in Portland. Me., to Mary, daughter of Willard and Margery Clapp. They have had four children: Georgianua C, Walter G.. G. Willard and Henry T.. jr.
James H. Davis of Quissett was born in 1831. His father, John Davis, was a son of John Davis (son of Solomon) who lived in an old house on the place now owned by James H. Mrs. James H. Davis is Hattie, daughter of San ford Herendeen, who, with the exception of Christopher G. Bearse, is the only survivor of all the men engaged in the building and fitting of whaling ships from Woods Holl. Mr. Davis' family consists of three children: Etta L., Alonzo O. H. and Theodore D. His business is farming.
Samuel F. Davis was born in 1833. His father, Francis Davis, was a soldier and pensioner of the war of 1812, and his grandfather, Francis Davis, was a former resident of Quissett. At sixteen years of age Mr. Davis went to sea, and in 1865 was master of a vessel. Fie returned from his last voyage—whaling—in 1885. In 1888 he, with Rowland R. Jones, bought the coal business of George E. Clarke, and in April, 1889, Mr. Davis purchased his partner's interest and.is now sole owner of the business. His wife is Salome E., daughter of Stephen Davis. They have six children, three of whom were born on the island of St. Helena.
William C. Davis was born in 1854. His father, Samuel P., born in 1809, died in 1888: was a son of Solomon Davis, and a grandson of Solomon Davis. Mr. Davis, in 1885, began at Falmouth a furniture business, to which he soon added undertaking, a business which his father and grandfather had carried on before him. In 1889 he erected a substantial block in Falmouth village, where his prosperous business is now located.
Stephen Dillingham, 1799-1871, was a son of Joseph and Esther (Rogers'i Dillingham (married in 1795), and a grandson of Ignatius and Elizabeth Dillingham, each of whom lived to the age of ninety-six-Stephen was a merchant in Falmouth with his brothers, Reuben and Abram, from 1830 to 1835. Fie subsequently ran coast sloops successfully for a time, and was also connected with the glass company at Falmouth, as before noticed. His wife, Elizabeth, is a sister of James E. Gifford. Their family were: James T., a manufacturer at Sheboygan, Wis., who died April 15, 1889: Hannah G. (Mrs. George Plummer and Henry, who was drowned in Sacramento river in 1859.
One of .Stephen Dillingham's sisters, now living at Lynn, Mass.. married Jonathan Boyce, now deceased. Their only son, Gilbert R
Boyce, married Annie R., daughter of Silas and granddaughter of Silas and Phebe (Palmer) Gifford of Falmouth. Their home was at West Falmouth, where Gilbert R. Boyce died May 26,1882, leaving one son. James A. Boyce, now in business there.
George W. Donaldson, a son of Doctor Donaldson mentioned at page 226, had nine children, one of whom, Hugh G. Donaldson, died here in 1876. leaving Alice, now bookkeeper in the Falmouth National Bank, and John F. Donaldson, who was born here in 1858, and who now carries on an ice business of about 1,000 tons annually, which his father began here about seventeen years ago. George W. Donaldson was a prominent man here in his time. He served as deputy sheriff, justice of the peace, and frequently as executor of wills.
Dea. Lorenzo Eldred, 1815-1888, was a son of Captain William, 1780-1859, grandson of Captain Lemuel. 1751-1842, and great-grandson of Jehosophat Eldred. Lorenzo Eldred was a deacon in the Congregational church at Falmouth about twenty-three years, and was also Sunday school superintendent several years. Always a farmer, he owned at his death two hundred acres of the original Lemuel Eldred tract, which was inherited by his only heir, Charles H. Eldred, who now occupies it with the deacon's widow. She was Mercy F. Grew. They were married in 1845.
Samuel Eldred, of North Falmouth, was, in June, 1889, the oldest man living in this town. He was born February 13, 1796, followed the sea in the southern trade, and from the age of twenty-one was for fifteen years commander of vessels. His father, Samuel, a revolutionary soldier, was a son of Lemuel, and grandson of Jehosophat Eldred, who, in 1731, having come from England, bought, at North Falmouth, of Isaac Green, "the 14th and 15th Lotts in the allotment." Captain Eldred's house is on this purchase. It was erected about 1790, by Thomas Eldred, the captain's uncle. Captain Eldred's brother, Wil-lian, married Patience F., sister of Dea. Lorenzo Eldred. They have one son, Edwin A., in Minneapolis, and one, William H. Eldred, who was born in 1833, and in 1852 removed to Worcester, Mass., where he has a wife and two children: Arthur W. and Marion F.
Eliel T. Fish, born in Sandwich, in 1830, is a son of Elihu, and grandson of James Fish, of Sandwich, who died prior to 1830. Eliel's parents removed to Woods Holl in 1836. When he was seventeen years of age he went to sea, which business he followed until 1876, being captain of whale ships twelve years. Since 1876 he has kept a grocery store at Woods Holl, and at the death of Owen Eldridge, in 1880, he succeeded him as postmaster, a position which he occupied until May, 1889. He married Harriet O. Davis.
Joseph Crowell Fish, of Quissett, is the descendant of a long line of ancestry, who have materially assisted in the settlement, growth
and present stability of Falmouth. His grandfather, Samuel Fish, born in 1734, married Sarah Dimmick. He was a patriot of the revolution, and nobly did his duty. He died in 1816. honored and beloved. The children of his marriage numbered eight, born in Falmouth.
His son, Thomas Fish, father of the subject of this sketch, was born December 28, 1762. He served in the revolutionary war while a young man. On the tenth of December, 1788, he was married to Susannah, daughter of David and Sarah Crowell. He was called Deacon Fish from his service of a quarter of a century in the First Congregational church, in that office, and the distinguished symmetry of his Christian life. The same uprightness marked his public life, and it is said that the most scrutinizing eye could discover no defect. He was many years justice of the peace, twenty-one years in the legislature, and twenty years selectman of the town, besides filling other official trusts. In 1802 a companj' was formed for ship-building at Quissett, and Deacon Fish was appointed its agent, which business he vigorously prosecuted for ten years, launching many well constructed crafts. His children were: Cynthia, born October 29, 1791; Celia, September 5, 1793; Susan E., July 8, 1795; Milton, July 31, 1799; Thomas, October 29, 1802; Joseph Crowell, August 11, 1804; David W., April 2, 1807; and Henry L., May 30, 1809. Of these, Thomas and Joseph C, the only surviving sons, reside in Quissett, and their only living sister, Susan E., the widow of Prince Jenkins, resides at Falmouth. Thomas has three surviving sons: Levi, Allen and the popular hotel proprietor, George W. Fish. Susan has two sons: Foster H. Jenkins, of Vineyard Haven, and Joseph Jenkins, of TVinona, Minn. Cynthia, one of the deceased sisters, was the wife of the late David Lewis, and one of their sons is H.C. Lewis, of Falmouth. Celia Fish, the other sister, deceased, was the wife of Dr. Aaron Cornish, of Falmouth.
Joseph C. Fish, the youngest, married Albinia Daggett, daughter of Peter Daggett, a descendant of an illustrious family of Marthas Vineyard. They were married August 15, 1839. Their children are: Thomas D., a ship broker in New York city, who married Albina Yale, of Vineyard Haven, who died leaving one child, Mary Y., now fifteen years old; Robert L.. a freight broker of New York city; and Joseph C. Fish, jr., now on the home farm, who married Jessie B. Baker, and has one child, named Albinia D.
Mr. Fish has lived where he was born, in sight of the shipyard and under the roof honored by the deeds of his father, and has preferred this quiet home to the excitement and criticisms of a public life; and although urged to act as deacon in the church of his choice, he has always modestly declined. Nevertheless, he has proved himself a shining light in the First Congregational church, which he has mate-
rially aided for the past half century. He has ever been an earnest worker in the cause of temperance, and not only believes that his example and ballot should go to help the cause, but he faithfully follows his convictions. His life has been of the same manly bearing, the same meekness and the same noble sensibilities, day by day, year by year, and under all circumstances. The many characteristics of his worthy ancestry have been repeated in history and tradition, and of these Joseph C. Fish is the true representative. His own life of over four score years, marked with upright living, will transmit to posterity and leave on record the same virtues.
Joseph F. Fish5 (Isaac4, James3, Rufus2, Roland1') was born in 1843. His mother was Rhoda R., a daughter of Francis Fish, whose father was Rufus2. Joseph F. learned the tinners' trade in early life and has made that his principal business. He located a shop at Teticket in 1866, where he still resides. His wife was a Miss Pherson, of Maine.
Solomon L. Fish, son of Francis, grandson of Rufus, and great-grandson of Roland Fish, was born here in 1829. He learned the masons' trade, and was for about thirteen years in South Braintree, Mass. His wife was Mary Webster Deane, of South. Braintree. They have two daughters: Flora R. (Mrs. Harry Childs, of Wareham) and Erne L. Fish, at home.
Ezra F. Geggatt, born in 1852, is the youngest child of John, a son of James Geggatt, whose father came to this country with Lafayette, and settled in Massachusetts. John Geggatt located between Hatchville and West Falmouth, where he died in 1879, leaving three sons and several daughters. His wife was a Miss Fish. Ezra F. followed whaling from 1869 to 1871. He is now engaged in farming and has a hue apple orchard, from which in one year he gathered eight hundred bushels of apples.
Rev. Benjamin Rowley Gifford, who died at Woods Holl in August, 1889, was born at Quissett in 1819, and was ordained as an Episcopal clergyman in 1857. Prior to his retirement in 1880, he was rector at Waterloo, and at Ottumwa, Ia., Kewanie, Ill., and at Ipswich, Bridgewater and Natick, Mass. He was married in England in 1873. His father was Braddock Gifford. of Quissett, and his mother was Mary, daughter of Benjamin Rowley, a descendant of Moses Rowley, who was at Quissett in 1691. Braddock Gifford was the son of Ebenezer,, who was one of the thirteen children of Christopher Gifford (1722-1801) and grandson of Josiah and Mary (Chadwick) Gifford. This Josiah was the grandson of Christopher Gifford. who was in Teticket as early as 1690, and whose father, William Gifford, was a resident of Sandwich prior to 1668, in which year he removed to Falmouth. William Gifford was probably a son of Walter Gifford, who in 1630 came
from England to Massachusetts and is believed to be the ancestor of all who bear the name in New England. Christopher Gifford of Te-ticket had three sons—Isaac. Christopher and Enos—but which of them is Josiah's father is not certain.
David F. Gifford. son of Amasa and grandson of Mordecai Gifford, an early Quaker at West Falmouth, was born in West Falmouth. His wife was from Falmouth. They have two sons: John N.. who is in Australia, if living, and Seth A., at home, who is interested in quarrying and contracting.
Henry F. Gifford, born in 1818, is the oldest son of Asa and Hannah (Bourne) Gifford. His grandfather, Jesse, was a son of John Gifford, who at an early day built a house near the present residence of Celia Weeks, on the West F'almouth road, where the remains of the old cellar may still be seen. This John Gifford died in 1786. Henry F. went whaling when but thirteen years of age. and followed that business until 1856, when he bought his present farm. In 1861 he went to the Pacific coast, but since 1866 has lived here somewhat retired, cultivating small fruits and doing some cabinet work. His wife. Harriet H., is a daughter of John Butler.
James E. Gifford5 ('Theophilus4, 1783-1852: Zacheus3. William5, William1) was born in 1832. The ancestor of this family. William, lived and died where James E. now lives, but the present house was built by William2. James E.. for a quarter of a century in business here, is widely known as a Friend. He has represented this district at general court as a republican, and served the town one year as selectman. His wife, Eliza A., is a daughter of Benjamin Bowerman, of St. Albans, Me. They have had two children. Benjamin H., who died in 1875, eighteen years of age, and Martha J., at home.
Mrs. Sophia E. Gould, of Falmouth, is the only surviving child of Ezra Bourne, who came to Falmouth prior to 1825 from Buzzards bay, where his father, Dea. Bethuel Bourne, lived and died. Ezra married a daughter of Joseph Crocker, and was lost at sea. His widow then married his brother, Warren N. Bourne, who died here in 1881.
Captain Caleb O. Hamblix is a worthy representative of the seafaring men of the Cape. The line of descent in his ancestiy is direct, though far removed, from James Hamblin, who was a member of Mr. Lothrop's church and who settled near Coggin's pond in Barnstable, in 1639. The records of the family, Mr. Otis tells us. are deficient. Benjamin Hamblin, the captain's grandfather, was born in Sandwich during the last century and was. in 1812. captain of a company sent out from Sandwich. Caleb, his eldest son, and the father of the present Caleb O. Hamblin, was born in the village of Snake Pond, now Forestdale, in Sandwich, and became a seafaring man. On his last voyage from the West Indies, he brought as a stow-away,
the well-known Doctor Harper of Sandwich. Caleb was twice married and reared eight children. The first wife had two children: Sylvanus F., who married Captain Nathaniel Hamblin's daughter Hannah, and died in California leaving a widow and three daughters; and Chloe F., who married Mr. Tripp of Springfield, Mass., who died in Andersonville prison, leaving two sons, and his death was the direct cause of her subsequent fatal illness. The second wife was Mary A. Kern, sister of Theodore and Francis Kern, who for several years successfully managed the Boston and Sandwich Glass works. Her children were: Mary Ann, wife of Cyrus Bassett, who spent the summer of 1889 in North Carolina for her health; Caleb O., the subject of this sketch; Elias Thacher, glass blower in New Bedford; George H., who died in California; Theodore F., residing in Montana; and A. J. Hamblin of West Falmouth.
Captain Caleb O. Hamblin was born in Forestdale, Sandwich, Mass., January 28.1835. At the early age of ten years he commenced work at the Sandwich glass factorv, receiving but two winters schooling after he was eight years old, which fact necessitated much studious labor in the forecastle in after years. At fifteen he went to sea in the brig Ocean of Sanchvich. The voyage proved a failure and the next year he made a second voyage in the same brig and managed to pay his outfit for the first. His third voyage was in the brig Amelia of Sandwich, in which he was advanced to the position of boat-steerer or harpooner. He next made two voyages in the ship Congress of New Bedford, Captain Reuben Kelley, in the Indian ocean, and on the second voyage he acted as second mate. Captain John C. Hamblin was master of this ship on the second vo\ age and mate on the first. Captain Kelley, former captain of the Congress, then induced Mr. Hamblin to ship with him as first mate of the ship Governor Troupe, and after twenty-eight days at home, he again went to sea on a voyage of forty-two months, returning with a good cargo. His worth having been made apparent, his employer, Edward C. Jones, of New Bedford, the agent and part owner of the last two ships, offered him the position of master of the ship Robert Edwards, bound for the Indian and Pacific oceans. On this voyage of forty-eight mouths he went around the world, returning with a good cargo of oil.
He afterward made two successful voyages as master and part owner of the ship Eliza Adams. He was accompanied by his wife and family on these voyages extending over eight years. He afterward made part of a voyage in the ship Milton, to the Arctic ocean, being compelled to return home on account of sickness. His last voyage was as captain and half owner of the brig Henry Trowbridge of Stonington, Conn., on a sealing and whaling voyage off Cape Horn. They encountered many hardships and on the passage home, .during a ter-
rible tornado, the vessel became dismasted and sprung a leak, compelling him to make the Azore islands under jurymasts. a distance of 750 miles, where he sold the brig and shipped his cargo to Boston. He arrived home December 29, 1882, and on account of the sickness in his family considered it his duty to remain.
The daring of the captain often led him into danger. One of his narrow escapes from death is of peculiar interest. While second mate of the Congress, he made fast to a sperm whale on the coast of Australia, and as he stood in the bow of the boat, lance in hand for another throw, the monster with open mouth, struck the bow of the boat under his feet with such force as to break it in, and Captain Hamblin was thrown partly into a pair of jaws twenty-two feet long. His right leg was wholly in the whale's mouth and he astride the jaw, was carried down some fifty feet. With wonderful presence of mind he took two turns of the lance line around his hand, the other end being fast to the boat, this being the only way presenting itself as a means of escape, from the jaws of death. At the end of the downward ride, the length of the prescribed rope, the jerk came, as he had anticipated, and although the strain to his arm was of course terrible the arm was not torn off as he feared, but with an ugly wound along the leg, from a single tooth, he was drawn from the whale's mouth and to the boat.
In March, 1863, he married Emily B. Robinson, daughter of Irving Robinson, a shipbuilder of Woods Holl, who worked on the Awashonks .and other vessels built there. Mr. and Mrs. Hamblin have five boys living: Caleb E., born February 22,1864; Sylvanus A., born February 23,1868; Wmfield S., August 11, 1873; Percie C, June 14, 1875; and Robert W. Hamblin, born April 14, 1877. Two sons and two daughters died in infancy. The oldest and the youngest of the living children were born in Falmouth, the second on the Eliza Adams, in mid-ocean, the third in Australia, and the fourth in New Zealand.
In 1870 Captain Hamblin bought the Swift place in West Falmouth, and built up his present beautiful residence, where he enjoys the fruits of a well spent active life. He loved his profession and excelled in it. He shrinks from the entanglements of a political life and although he takes a deep interest in national and local civil .affairs, and is a member of the republican party, he declines office. His support is freely given the Methodist Episcopal church, and his life is an exemplification of the golden rule. He is yet in the full tide of life, enjoying rest from dangers and toils which have enrolled his name high among those who have made the Cape conspicuous in the maritime world.
Captain John C. Hamblin.—The family of which Captain Hamblin was a worthy representative is found in the first settlements of
Barnstable and Falmouth, filling places of trust in the church and in the affairs of the plantations. Among the lines of descent we find Benjamin, a resident of Falmouth during the latter part of last centuiy, who reared a son, Benjamin, the father of the subject of this article.
Captain Hamblin was born in October, 1829. He was educated in the common schools, and at the age of twenty he commenced a seafaring life, choosing that branch of the service most congenial to his nature—whaling—which he followed in its various subordinate appointments for eight years, when he took command. His first voyage was in the bark Lagoda, and the three succeeding ones were in the Congress, both vessels of New Bedford; then two voyages in the Roman, and in the bark Islander he made his last voyage, which he completed in August, 1873, after twenty-four years of active service, sixteen of which he was master. He died at West Falmouth July 18, 1875. His active life was passed on the main and no opportunity was afforded to exercise his executive qualities in the affairs of the town. During the last two years of his life, which he passed on shore, he purchased a store in Falmouth, which he successfully managed until his death. He was an upright man and a Mason, and his humane and social qualities so softened the sterner and courageous elements of his nature that his decease was greatly mourned by a large circle of friends. He was charitable without ostentation, mild, yet decisive, and a true friend and counselor.
He was married in October, 1856, to Maria F. Tobey, whose parents, deceased, were Captain Elisha and Henrietta Tobey, of Monument Beach. The children of Captain and Mrs. Hamblin were: Henrietta T., born in September, 1858; Alice M., born March 2, 1860; Harry W., March 9, 1862; John A., January 14, 1864: Bertha M., August 31, 1867; Benjamin F., May 18, 1869; Ernest S., August 30, 1872, and Leonella B. Hamblin, born December 18, 1875. Of these the four oldest are married—Henrietta T., married Edward H. Thompson of Worcester, Mass., in February, 1883; Alice M. was married in December, 1879, to Horace E. Swift of West Falmouth; Harry W. married Elizabeth E. Howland of the same place, in September, 1883; and John A. Hamblin was married in June, 1888, to Mary E. Greenwood of New Hampshire. The captain's residence was at West Falmouth, where his wife and younger children have a pleasant and happy home.
Solomon Lawrence Hamlin was born in Teticket in 1827. His father, Simeon, was a son of Seth Hamlin. His mother, Nancy, was a daughter of Dea. Solomon Lawrence. Solomon L. Hamlin followed the sea from 1840 until 1870, and was for four years master of the bark Eugenia, a whaler in New Zealand and Australian waters. He has been a merchant in Falmouth since 1874, and was deputy collector here five years. His wife is Chloe H., a daughter of Moses
Robinson of this town. Their family consisted of three sons and two daughters. The oldest son, William B., was lost at sea November 9. 1879. The other sons are in business with their father, and the daughters are living at home.
Vinal N. Hatch, born in 1808, was one of the ten children of Benjamin and Rachel (Mayhew) Hatch. Rachel's father, Joseph Mahew, died in the continental army in the war of 1776. Benjamin Hatch was a son of Jonathan (whose grave was the first in the East End cemetery) and a grandson of Ebenezer Hatch. Vinal N. is the oldest of the three brothers now living. His wife, Martha E., is a daughter of Ezekiel E. Swift. Mr. Hatch is a mason by trade. His children are: Mahala S. (Mrs. Willarcl N. Chadwick), Tirzah (Mrs. Fred. Dimmick) and Vinal F. Hatch of New Bedford, whose wife is Ellen F. Phinney of Sandwich.
Benjamin H. Hatch, a brother of Vinal N., was born in 1816. He, like his father, has always been a farmer, and at his father's death in 1861 he was appointed his successor as deacon in the Hatchville church. His wife, Catherine, is a daughter of Gershom Jones. They have five children: Robert H., Etta F. (Mrs. Henry F. Hatch), James J., Ida M. (Mrs. Joseph Phinney), and Wallace—all of vrhom are married and have children. Deacon Timothy Hatch, of Waquoit, born in 1810, is the other surviving brother of Vinal N.
Shubael N. Hatch, born June 27, 1830, is a son of James H. Hatch, a deceased brother of Vinal N. James H. married Deborah N., daughter of Amasa and Sylvina (Nye) Gifford, who survives him. Their daughter, Paulenia Freeman, is Mrs. James Winslow, of Fairhaven.
Silas Hatch, born in 1833, is a son of Deacon Silvanus Hatch. 1789-1855; grandson of Moses, 1762-1855: and great-grandson of Ebenezer
Hatch. Silvanus was a captain at the coast in the war of 1812. Silas.a republican always, is now serving as selectman for his twelfth year. He is often, appointed as guardian of minors and executor of wills. His business is farming. His wife, Henrietta M. Davis (deceased), left three children: Herbert C, Eugene P. and Cora M, Hatch. His present wife was Mrs. Elizabeth M. Dillingham.
William H. Hewins is a son of William Hewins, whose father, Amasa Hewins, was a son of William Hewins. William H. was born in Sandwich, Mass., and in 1867 began a small store business, at Falmouth. His business increased and in 1885 he erected the double building which he now occupies. He has been town clerk and treasurer since 1883. His wife died in 1889, leaving one daughter. His father, William Hewins, was born in Sharon, Mass., and was one of seven children. He came to Cape Cod when he was a young man.
Russell Hinckley, born at Marstons Mills, is a son of Chipman and Abagail (Hamblin) Hinckley, and grandson of Nathaniel Hinckley. His wife, Lydia P. Baker, is a daughter of Francis and granddaughter of Obadiah Baker. Mrs. Hinckley's mother was Lucy Berry. Mr. Hinckley's family consists of tiro sons: Francis C. and Clarence Lincoln, who was born on the day President Lincoln issued the emancipation proclamation. A daughter, Mary G., was drowned, July 3, 1875, aged ten years. She was born on the day Lee surrendered to Grant.
Seba A. Holton, principal of the Falmouth High School, married Grace, daughter of Obed Pierce. In 1881 he became principal of Lawrence Academy and Falmouth High School. He received an honorary degree from Dartmouth in 1887.
William H. Howland7 (William6, Zacheus5, Jabez4, Shubael3, John2,. John1) was born in North Falmouth in 1816. When he was ten years-old—his parents having died—he went to Plymouth county, Mass. He subsequently learned carpenter work and has dealt extensively in lumber, doing business in Cambridge and Boston. He retired from business in 1878 and now resides at West Falmouth, where he had passed several preceding summers. He spent in Quincy. Illinois, at different periods, seven years of his life. He was first married in 1845, to Martha, daughter of Joseph Poor of South Danvers (now Peabody),. Mass. She died in 1852. Their children were: Walter Channing, born 1846, died 1848: and Mary Lee, born 1849, died 1882. In 1856 Mr. Howland was married to Helena Maria, daughter of .Samuel Eells,, of Hanover, Mass. They have two children: Alice Tower, born 1857; and Elizabeth Eells, born 1859. Alice T. is married to George E. Kimball, of Woburn, Mass., who is doing a successful lumber business in Hingham, Mass. They have six children living, having lost their youngest in 1889. Elizabeth E. married H. W. Hamblin of Falmouth, an electrician. They are now living in Portland, Me., and have three children. i
James B. Huckins, who has been for fourteen years in the meat business at Falmouth, is a native of Barnstable, where his father,. James, and his grandfather, Captain Joseph, resided. This Captain Joseph Huckins is the one who once ran the packet between Barnstable and Boston.
Henry W. Jenkins, born in 1829, is a son of Wilson R. and grandson of Benjamin Jenkins, the latter a soldier in the war of 1812. He has done a carpenter business since he was seventeen years of age, and for a long time did a large business in contracting. His wife was a Miss Nickerson from Harwich. Their family consisted of: Angelia (deceased), Wilson R., Bessie M. and Elvie M. Jenkins. Wilson R. has been engaged with his father in building for several years.
Myron C. Johnson, the merchant at Quissett, is a native of Onon-daga count}-, N. Y., where he was a farmer prior to 1880. He married Etta E. W., daughter of Azariah, and granddaughter of Abram Wing, of the well known Quaker family of Sandwich, and in 1881 located in Falmouth. He has one son, Asa Edward Johnson.
George W. Jones, born in Falmouth in 1857, is a son of Benjamin F. and Maria C. (Withington) Jones. Benjamin F. followed the sea as commander of whaling ships until 186S, and died in 1879. He was a brother of Silas Jones, president of the Falmouth National Bank. George W. was at sea in earlv life for about six vears. Fie subse-quently went west and was engaged there in a lumber business for a time. He located m Falmouth in 1887, where he is still in business as proprietor of the "Continental Shoe Store."
Josiah C. Jones, born in 1837, is a son of Roland C. and grandson of John Jones. He followed the sea from 1855 until 1877, always coasting, and has made a few voyages since that time. He is now engaged in contract work, fitting cranberry bogs, teaming, etc. His wife, Athalia L., is a daughter of Ebenezer N. Phinney. They have one daughter, Laura A.
Captaix Silas Jones.—The family of Captain Jones originated in Nantucket. His grandfather, Thomas, came to Falmouth in the year 1750, and married Bethia, daughter of Rowland Robinson, Esq., a leading citizen of the town. Captain Jones' father, also named Silas, was born in Falmouth in 1772. He married Love, daughter of Samuel Shiverick. He was a shipmaster, making several voyages in the China trade and on the northwestt coast. He was a representative in the general council in 1839 and 1840, and died April 20, 1845, aged seventy-five years.
Silas Jones, the subject of this sketch, was born in Falmouth, February 25, 1814, and enjoyed the usual educational advantages that were afforded the youth of the town. At the age of sixteen he went to sea on a whaling voyage, with a view of adopting that arduous and hazardous calling as his professon for life. In 1835 he sailed from Falmouth in his ship Aivashonks, Captain Coffin, for a four years' cruise in the Pacific ocean, in the position of third officer. This voyage was destined to be a memorable one. The vessel had a crew of about thirty men, including officers. When about twenty months out. while passing the group of Marshall islands, just north of the equator, the ship was hove to, near the island Namarik, for the purpose of getting refreshments. The natives came on board in great numbers, and seizing the cutting-in spades, commenced the work of slaughter upon the ship's company, and immediately cleared the deck, killing the captain, first and second officers and four seamen. Mr. Jones succeeded in reaching the cabin, with one sailor boy, named Charley Marshall, and in
securing the fire-arms, rescued the ship, after a hard struggle of about one hour. The charge of the ship now devolving on Mr. Jones, he made a direct passage to the Sandwich islands, and in fifty days arrived at Honolulu, and delivered the ship to the American consul at that port. He was offered command, but modestly declined accepting the responsibility until he had acquired a little more experience. But his promotion was not long deferred, and he continued to sail in command of a Falmouth ship until 1864. when he retired from the sea.
In 1860 his fellow citizens of Falmouth elected him. by a large majority, their representative in the legislature of Massachusetts, to which position he was re-elected the following year, serving both terms upon the committee on the Hoosac Tunnel. In 1857-58 he was a member of the board of selectmen and assessors, and for several years heretofore has served as moderator of the town meetings. In 1881, upon the decease of Hon. Erasmus Gould, he was chosen president of the Falmouth National Bank, of which he had been some years previously a director. These trusts, fulfilled with scrupulous fidelity, indicate the estimation in which Captain Jones is, and ever has been, held by his fellow citizens, and vindicate his title to be regarded as a representative man of his town.
He married, May 19, 1845, Harriet B. Robinson, daughter of Joseph Robinson, of Falmouth. From this union were six children: George F., Rowland R., Lucy S., Nellie M., Mary R. (Doane) and Silas, jr.
Rowland R. Jones, son of Silas Jones, was born in 1850. His wife is a daughter of the late Dr. Norman C. Stevens of Boston.
B. Baylies King was born in Mansfield, Mass.. in 1824. In early life he was a boat maker, afterward in the carriage business. Subsequently he opened a livery stable in Sheldonville, and from there moved to Attleboro, where he engaged in the same business. He afterward bought a farm in Foxboro, and from there came to Falmouth in 1875. In the following year he became a dealer in lumber and builders' hardware. He is junior warden of Marine Lodge, A. F. & A. M.
Herbert H. Lawrence5 (Isaac4,1826-1879; Solomon2, Joseph'2. John1) was born in 1857. Isaac was a prominent resident here, filling at different times the offices of justice of the peace, tax collector and deputy sheriff. His wife, Hannah, was a daughter of Winslow and Hannah (Clark) Hall. Herbert H. Lawrence is at present engaged in Teticket in teaming, farming and milk business. His wife is Annie M., daughter of Mayhew Baker.
Hiram N. Lawrence, born in 1840, is a son'of Charles C, grandson of Solomon, and great-grandson of John Lawrence, of English descent, who came to Falmouth from West Barnstable. Solomon Lawrence was one of a long-lived family. Fie lived to the age of ninety-
five; one of his brothers lived to be one hundred years old, another ninety-four, and a sister lived to the remarkable age of one hundred years and one month. Hiram N. learned the mason trade, but for twelve years he took charge of a farm in Barnstable, returning to Teticket in 1879, to the homestead farm, where he still resides. His wife, Ellen, is a daughter of Alden B. Landers, of this town. They have one son, Austin, and one daughter, Susan, now Mrs. Joseph Nickerson.
John R. Lawrence, born in 1820, is a son of Solomon Lawrence (1790-1845), grandson of Joseph, and great-grandson of John Lawrence, whose father was Peleg Lawrence. Solomon was a master ship carpenter, building ships at Woods Holl for Elijah Swift. When John R. was but fourteen yearsold he gave his first note for a suit of clothes and went to Cape Horn. He followed whaling thirty-six years. Mrs. Lawrence was Harriet, daughter of Alex. Clark, of Nantucket, who later had a woolen mill in this town. They have two sons—John Abbott and Harry V. Lawrence. Their only daughter, Lizzie, was Mrs. Dr. Lyman H. Luce, of Marthas Vineyard. She died, leaving one daughter, Bessie, now a girl of sixteen. Harry V. was married November 28, 1889, to Alice Forbes, daughter of Oliver C. and Sarah L. A. Grinnell. She was born on Naushon island July 18, 1868. He has a thriving business here as florist and seedsman.
Joseph T. Lawrence was born in 1849. His father. Thomas R. Lawrence, a farmer, was a son of Joseph and a grandson of John Lawrence. Thomas R. married Almira Bearse, who survives him, since his death in 1864. They had five children, of whom Lyman M. and Joseph T. are the only ones residing- in Falmouth. Joseph T. married Jennette Stevens, of Centreville, and has one son. Alfred C.
Lewis H. Lawrence, son of Thomas and grandson of Silas Lawrence, was born in Falmouth in 1823. Thomas and Silas were both carpenters. The business carried on by Thomas was in building houses—all but the frame—in Falmouth, and then taking them south and putting them up there. He died about thirty years ago. He had six sons and one daughter. The sons were all seamen, five of them shipmasters. The oldest brother was a painter by trade, but his health becoming impaired, he went to sea for a few years by advice of his physician. In 1849 he went to California and died there about 1865. Four of the sons, including Lewis H., and the daughter are still living. Lewis H. was at sea when fourteen years of age, and was master of a whaler at twenty-six. He was master on four voyages, averaging nearly four years each, until 1871. He is now doing an ice business here of about eight hundred tons per annum. His wife, Eunice F., is a daughter of Frederick Davis, of Falmouth. They have had four sons, two of whom are living: Thomas Augustus and Frederick
Oliver M. Lawrence, son of Ansel, grandson of Solomon, and great-grandson of John Lawrence, was born here in 1843. For sixteen years he did a shoe business in Lynn. Mass. He returned to Teticket in 1885, to care for his father, who has since died. His present business is farming and poultry raising. He was married while in Lynn, to Nettie Corey. Their daughter, seventeen years of age, is Bertha C. Lawrence.
Solomon H. Lawrence, born March 15, 1847, is a son of Henry, now living, whose father, Solomon, was a son of John Lawrence, to whom the Lawrence family of Falmouth are now able to trace their ancestry, and who is believed to have been the brother of Joseph Lawrence, an early resident of South Sandwich. Solomon H. married Mary A., daughter of Simeon Childs, of Centreville. They have three children: Sidney W., Howard F. and Edith A. Lawrence.
Henry C. Lewis, born in 1832, is a son of David, grandson of David and great-grandson of Jesse Lewis. His father, after following the sea for some years, enlarged his house, where Henry C. now lives, and carried on a grocery business in it for years. It is the building before mentioned as the hotel of the village for several years.
Thomas Lewis, born in 1806, was a son of Thomas Lewis, and grandson of Lothrop Lewis, whose emigrant ancestor, George Lewis, came from East Greenwich, county of Kent, England. In 1832 Thomas married Cynthia E. S., daughter of Frederic and Rebecca Parker, and they lived to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage, in the old home. Their children were: Frederic Thomas, Sarah Butler, Mary Sanford, Charles Sanford and Rebecca Parker. From 1853 he continually held public offices until his death, May 30, 1884. He was chosen a director of the Falmouth Bank in 1841 and continued in service forty-three years, and was secretary of the Board of Trustees of Lawrence Academy, which position he resigned. He united with the First Congregational church in 1842, of which he remained an honored and consistent member. He was a man of intelligence and staunch integrity and faithful in all the relations he sustained. His fellow citizens had full confidence in his administration of public trusts, relied upon his judgment and followed his counsel in matters of business.
William Thatcher Lewis, son of Thomas, grandson of David and great-grandson of Jesse Lewis, was born in 1830, at the homestead, lately burned, where his father lived. Thomas Lewis was a deacon in the Hatchville Congregational church, and a useful man in his time. He was the youngest son of David and Pheba (Crowell) Lewis, who removed from Centreville to Falmouth. William T. is now a painter by trade, residing at East Falmouth, where he is a steward in the Methodist Episcopal church. His wife. Martha, is a daughter of John Swift, and the widow of the late Isaiah T. Lewis.
Shubael M. Norton, son of Constant and Harriet TV. Norton, was born in Tisbury, in 1839. He early learned boot making and worked in South Braintree. He enlisted in the Union army, August 8, 1862, with Company B., Forty-third Regiment; re-enlisted August 28. 1863, as sergeant, Third Artillery, serving until October, 1865. He was several times promoted for gallant and meritorious conduct and participated with honor in many important engagements. In January, 1866, he removed to Woods Holl, and worked for the Pacific Guano Company. In 1867 they began the manufacture of sulphuric acid, in which department Mr. Norton has been and is still employed. He is a member of the Charles Chipman Post of Sandwich; has held various town offices. His wife, Mary T., is a daughter of Thomas Robinson, who died in California in 1850. They have three children.
The Nye family are the descendants of John Nye, who had two sons: John Nye, jr., of Sandwich, and Ebenezer Nye of Falmouth, born 1650. This Ebenezer settled about 1688 at North Falmouth, and had four sons: Benjamin, of Woods Holl neck; Meltiah (1682-1750), Elnathan and Bethiah. Meltiah had three sons: Solomon, Meltiah, jr.t and Shubael, the latter of whom had three sons: David, Meltiah and Sylvanus.
Daniel B. Nye, born in 1815, is a son of Daniel B. and grandson of Nathan Nye, a inerchant of Sandwich. He was born in Sagamore, where his brother Nathan now lives. He followed the sea from 1837 to 1871, in whaling, and was captain seven years. His present business is farming. His wife, Philena D., is a daughter of Joshua, granddaughter of Elihu and great-granddaughter of Seth Nye. Joshua Nye had five children: Elizabeth F., of Providence; Elihu, who died in 1882, his widow surviving; Dr. Alexander G., of Weymouth; Achsah B. Burnham, of Melrose, and Philena D.
David B. Nye, born in 1857, is a son of Thomas R. and grandson of Francis Nye. His wife, Ruth Annie, is a daughter of Rev. Benjamin L. Sayer. They have one daughter, Annie Brainard Nye. Mr. Nye in summer carries on a livery and passenger business at Menauhant.
Frederick F. Nye7 (Samuel6, 1795-1888; Samuel5, John4, Benjamin3, John2, Benjamin1) was born in 1827. He followed the sea for five years prior to 1849, when he went to California, where he remained twenty years. While there he was married to a lady from Ohio. He is now engaged in farming at North Falmouth on a farm which was owned by his father, a deacon in the Congregational church, who lived here for years. The old house was burned in 1879. Frederick's mother was Betsey, daughter of Captain William Handy of Bourne, a prominent man in his day. He was captured by the French in the trouble leading to the French Spoliation Claims. He built vessels at Reel Brook in Bourne.
Herbert F. Nye, born October 4, 1848, is a son of Francis A., grandson of Francis and great-grandson of Samuel Nye. He was educated in Falmouth High School and Phillips Academy in Andover, and on leaving school he entered the employ of the Old Colony Railroad Company. Three years later, in July, 1872, he became station agent at North Falmouth, where he is still employed. His wife is Adelia F., daughter of Franklin and Pheba Nye.
Hiram Nye, born in 1842, is the only son of Alden, born 1814, whose father, Alden, was a son of Elihu and grandson of Seth Nye. Hiram went to sea before he was fourteen years of age, and followed the sea, in merchant service and whaling, until 1886, the last three years as captain of the ship Fleetwing from New Bedford. His wife, Lucy M., is a daughter of George Bonum Nye, of Marion, Mass. They have two daughters. Major Joshua Nye of 1812 was also a son of Elihu.
Captain Abishia Phinney was born May 1, 1821, in a humble cottage at Waquoit, and was the son of Asa and Annie (Bradford) Phinney. They named him in honor of his paternal grandfather, who was a son of Peter Phinney, one of the early white settlers of that portion of the county formerly included in Mashpee. Asa, whose wife was a descendant of the colony's second governor, was an active citizen in the first days of Waquoit, being its only merchant, a tavern-keeper, and its second postmaster. The family name, now scatteringly represented on the Cape, has been a part of the industrial and civil history of the county for more than two hundred years, and is best known in Falmouth to-day by the resident whose name heads this sketch. He received the education afforded by the common schools of that day, and at the age of twenty-three he went to sea. After a brief experience he became master of a vessel and he continued twenty-four years in the coasting and fishing business, coasting from Boston to Norfolk, Virginia, and cod-fishing. Salt manufacturing on the Cape opened a prosperous trade along Long Island sound and up the Connecticut river, and six years of his coasting were passed in this lucrative branch of trade. Over fifty sailing vessels from the Cape were thus engaged at that time in those waters, until steam vessels and the cars superseded the slow sailing vessels.
Mr. Phinney's success on the Grand Banks was all that could be realized from the energy and industry of a seaman of his nature. He invested in shares of vessels and prosecuted the business vigorously for several years until 1868, when he retired. During twenty-four years of coasting and fishing, twenty-one of which he was master, no accident of a serious nature occurred. His small craft was run into Waquoit bay, but the major part of the vessels he was connected with made Woods Holl the home port.
While yet at sea he married Rebecca Briggs of Dartmouth. who at her death left two sons and one daughter. Of these only the daughter, Pheba A., survives. She is the wife of Benjamin F. Crocker of New Bedford, a representative of that illustrious family on the Cape. Their children are: Rebecca F., Addie and Allen. For his second wife Captain Phinney married Hannah B. Crocker of Barnstable, one of the descendants of the well known and worthy Bourne family. From Richard Bourne her line of descent is through Shearjashub, Meltiah, Silas, Meltiah, Hannah, who married Zenas Crocker, and Zenas, their son. who had seven children, of whom Mrs. Phinney was the fourth. Many valuable and antique pieces of furniture belonging to the ancient progenitor of this family were willed to Mrs. Phinney, and are now held by her as heirlooms.
Captain Phinney is an active participator in the affairs of the town, and although declining office, has been the frequent representative of his town in republican conventions of the county. He has been through life a supporter of the Methodist Episcopal church of his village, and for the past twenty years has been a consistent member, aiding greatly in its material and spiritual existence.
The culture of eight acres of cranberries forms a portion of his business, and he still finds time to fill a large shop with material for manufacturing barrels, of which he has several thousand made annually. He continues his avocations on land with that perseverance which characterized his career on the sea. He is prominent in all enterprises for the advancement of his fellow-men, and his counsel is sought in matters of church and state. He is a worthy connecting link with the days when the fishing and coasting business was the industry of the Cape, and when Barnstable county in every manner took the highest award for efficiency on the sea.
Obed Pierce, son of Pardon Pierce of Dartmouth, Mass., and grandson of Elisha Pierce, of Westport, Mass., was born in Dartmouth, Mass., in 1827, and in 1855 located at Falmouth, where he married Eliza J., daughter of Ephraim Lawrence. Between the years 1840 and 1876, Captain Pierce was in the whaling business in the Atlantic and the Pacific oceans, and was master on three of these voyages. His only son is Howarcl L. Pierce, and his only daughter, Grace L.. is the wife of Professor S. A. Holton.
John Cleaver Potter, son of Daniel A. and grandson of Daniel L. Potter, who died in Middebury, Vermont, was born in 1855. This family are in the same family line with Clarkson N. Potter and Bishop Potter of New York. John Potter's mother, Celia (Gifford) Potter, born in Teticket in 1831, died in 1861, was a daughter of James and Mary (Hatch) Gifford. James Gifford was a brother of Braddock Gifford, mentioned on page 688. James Gifford's children were:
Harriet N., Lizzie Y., James, Celia W., Isabella, Mary M. and Watson H. Gifford. Of these only Harriet, Marv and Watson are living. John Potter is now doing business in Boston. His wife is Christina Thomson Neill. They have one child living, Ethel May Potter. Their only son died in infancy.
Solomon D. Robinson, a son of Rowland and grandson of James Robinson, a descendent of Rev. Isaac Robinson, was born in Falmouth in 1828. He was a merchant in Taunton several years prior to 1866, when he came again to his native town. He is the efficient superintendent of Oak Grove Cemetery.
David L. Sanford, born in 1817, is a son of Ephraim and grandson of William Sanford, who with his two brothers, Samuel and Benjamin, came to this country from Wales. Benjamin was a soldier in the revolution, and subsequently customs officer in Falmouth. By trade he was a cabinetmaker, and there are many desks now in Falmouth that were made by him. David L. Sanford is a carpenter, and has done quite a business in putting up houses in the South. His first wife, Betsey L., was a daughter of Francis Fish of Falmouth. After her death he was married to a daughter of Isaac Buck of Barnstable. .She is not living.
John T. Sherman, son of Charles and Mary (Baker) Sherman, and grandson of Benjamin Sherman, was born in East Falmouth in 1826. His mother was a daughter of Obediah Baker of this town. He is a mason by trade, and was engaged in this business, in New Bedford, for over thirty years. He returned to Falmouth about five years since. He is also engaged in cranberry raising, having three acres of made bog and some rough bog in preparation. His wife, Mehitable B., is a daughter of Andrew Baker. Thev have one daughter, Grace P., thirteen years of age.
Asa Shiverick.—This family name, illustrious through five generations in Barnstable county, is well represented in Falmouth to-day by Asa Shiverick, of Woods Holl. He was born in East Dennis, January 14, 1816, and that town justly claims the honor of his early citizenship and his enterprises, with those of his father, which we record in the Dennis chapter. The progenitor of all who bear this name was the Rev. Samuel Shiverick, of Falmouth, an early settler, a pastor and teacher. His son, David, was the father of Thomas, the grandfather of the present Asa Shiverick, whose father, also named Asa, removed to Dennis, where he married Susannah Howes, a descendant of the original Thomas Howes of 1639. Asa and his brother, Thomas, a resident of Chicago, and Sarah, wife of Richard Sugden, are the only surviving children of that generation.
During boyhood the subject of this sketch received a limited education in the primitive common school of East Dennis, and at the age
of seventeen went to Boston to commence work in Lot Wheelwright's ship yard. In 1834, when eighteen, he went to Kennebunk, Maine, and worked during the summer, returning in the winter to enjoy a single term of school in the new academy, or select school, that had been established in his native village. After another season in Boston, in 1836 he went to Buffalo, N. Y., where he worked one year. He returned to East Dennis in 1837 and engaged in building vessels with his father, who was then in that business. Asa and his brother, David, went into the copartnership at that date, and later, Paul and another brother joined them, the father retiring in 1849. From 1889, the date of the launching of the brig Giraffe, until 1854, when the schooner Searsville was completed and launched, these enterprising men built a vessel each year, and in the year 1852 they built two. Between the years 1850 and 1862 they built eight ships, which were not only a credit to Mr. Shiverick, but are pointed to with pride by the citizens of his native village.
On the sixth of December, 1838, Mr. Shiverick married Mary Sears, sister of Nathan Sears. She died July 21, 1847. leaving one son, Charles. He then married Betsey C, the widow of Jotham Howes; she died November 13, 1855. These wives were sisters, and daughters of Edmund Sears, a descendant of the original pioneer of that name. His last marriage was May 14, 1857, with Ruth Tobey, daughter of Jonathan H. Tobey, also of Dennis, and their children are: A. Frank, superintendent of the guano works, Woods Holl; Arthur, Betsey C, at home; Lunette, who married W. O. Luscomb, Woods Holl; and Ruth, at home. Charles Shiverick died at Omaha, Neb., March 18, 1890, where he, with his younger brother, Arthur, had been engaged in furniture business. At his death Arthur became head of the firm.
Mr. Shiverick has led an active life and accomplished much, not in the political intrigues of the day, but in building up industries and institutions, which will remain a lasting monument to his memory. His excellent executive ability has been often sought in the affairs of the body politic, but he as often declined. As a thorough representative of the Jeffersonian principles of democracy, when asked to represent his district in the legislature, his ardent republican friends even admitted his worth; but he preferred the more social and congenial walks of life. In 1886, after ten years of superintendency of the guano works at Woods Holl, he asked to be dismissed, and the request was granted on condition that he would continue his valuable counsel in its business affairs.
His support is given to the Episcopal church, and although conservative and unostentatious in all things, his long life has been marked with that charity and good will to man which has endeared
him not only to those high in state, but to those in the most humble walks of life. In the enjoyment of the well merited confidence of his contemporaries, Mr. Shiverick lives as a marked type of the passing generation of nobility, to which, in every manner, the younger generation is indebted for its prosperity and prospects.
Samuel F. Shiverick, son of Samuel and grandson of Samuel Shiverick, was born in Falmouth in 1828. and when sixteen years of age went to New Bedford and learned a cooper's trade. In 1847 he made the first of six whaling voyages. He has been in the government employ since March, 1870, when he entered the employ of the Light House Department at the Woods Holl Buoy depot. Fie was in Cohasset depot, near Boston, four years and at Lovell's Island depot eleven years; returned to Woods Holl in 1885, where he is still employed.
Hiram E. Small, born in 1887. is the only son of Arnold Small— born in 1800 at Waquoit—and grandson of James Small. Arnold Small removed to North Falmouth about forty years ago and resided' there until his death. Hiram E. is a carpenter. His wife. Joanna, is a daughter of the late Captain Joseph W. Nye. who was a brother of Ferdinand G. Nye, previously mentioned.
Abiel Swift, a farmer of North Falmouth, born in 1816, is a son of Joshua and a grandson of Sylvanus Swift of North Falmouth, and great-grandson of Benjamin Swift, all being' in line with this old family of Friends. His brother, David H. Swift, died on a whaling voyage. The grandfather, Sylvanus, built the south—the older—portion of the-house where Abiel now lives, and Joshua, in his time, added the northern part. Mrs. Abiel Swift is Isabella, a daughter of Thomas Swift of another family down the Cape. They were married in 1854.. Eugene E. C. Swift87, Elijah6, William5, William4 William3, William2, William1) was born in 1836. He carried on a mercantile business in Falmouth ten years and at Woods Holl five years. His livery business, and running barges from Falmouth depot to Falmouth Heights, in the summer season, requires thirty horses. His efficient service as postmaster at Falmouth was from 1885 to October 12, 1889. He was in business six years in Cincinnati, where he was married. He has two sons and two daughters. (Thomas L.
Ezekiel E. Swift, born in 1828, is a son of Ezekiel, who was a brother of Elijah Swift. His father and uncle ran in a line of packets from Falmouth to New Bedford, via Woods Holl, a line which for twenty-five or thirty years was the only established communication with New Bedford. Ezekiel E. learned ship-carpentry and house-joinery, and, after carrying on business five years at Sandwich as contractor and builder, has since 1852 been similarly engaged at Woods Holl. He married Lucy T., daughter of Marshall Grew. Their chil-
dren are: Helon W., Love F., Hannah B., Eliza A. and Edward E.,the last of whom is in business with the father.
George W.Swift7 is a son of Elijah6and Hannah (Lawrence) Swift. He was born in 1819. He is a descendant in the line, William5, William4, William3, William2, William1. William Swift1 came to this country from Essex county, England. He was in Watertown, Mass., in 1634, and in Sandwich in January, 1642-3. He died in Sandwich in January, 1644 ('N. S.). The name at that time was spelled Swyft. Mrs. George W. Swift, married in 1841, is Frances E. Chase from Vermont.
Silas F. Swift5 (Moses4, Paul3, Benjamin2, Benjamin1) was born in 1835. Benjamin1 was married to Hannah Wing, February 24, 1703. Their son Benjamin married Waitsell Bowman, and lived near where Abiel Swift now lives at North Falmouth, where Paul3 was born.
George N. Tobey7 (John6, 1807-1886; John5, 1766-1849; John4, Eleazer3, John2, Thomas1) was born in East Falmouth in 1846. This ancestor, Dea. Thomas Tobey1, came from England to this country at an early date and located on Long Island, N. Y., subsequently removing to Sandwich, Mass. John4 married Mercy Howes, and their son John married Patience Nye. George N. Tobey's wife is Hattie M. Carver, formerly of Vermont. He was in the East Falmouth store four years, as manager for the association, then for twelve years in a milk business in Somerville, and is now engaged in farming in his native town.
John A. Tobey7, born in 1839, is the oldest child of John Tobey6. He engaged in carriage building (wood work) in Mansfield prior to 1876. In 1878 he returned to Falmouth, and has since been engaged in farming and cranberry raising. He was married while at Mansfield, to Phebe Webb. They have three children: Willie A., Zama and Hattie Mabel.
Asa Phinney Tobey, born in 1836, is a son of Isaiah and Jane (Phinney) Tobey. His grandfather was John Tobey5. For twenty years prior to 1876 he worked at carriage building in New Bedford. Mrs. Tobey was Eliza J. Heyer, of Dartmouth, Mass. .She was born in Providence, R. I., in 1838. Their only child, Minnie, is Mrs. Robert Runyon, of Newark, N. J. Mr. Tobey represented Falmouth, Bourne and Sandwich in the legislature in 1884. He is now serving his eighth year as collector of taxes for this town.
George H. Turner is a son of Zenas L., whose father, Japheth, was one of the fifteen children of Japheth Turner. George H. was a farmer in Hatchville until 1884, and in November of that year he began a grocery business in Falmouth, in 1888 adding a bakery business. His wife was Mary P. Chadwick. Their children are: Wendell A. and Annie.
John O. Wicks, born in 1831, is a son of Nymphus Wicks, a seaman,
who died in 1842, and grandson of Elisha and Mary Wicks. He followed the sea from 1849 until about 1866, after which he was employed at an ochre mill, on Marthas Vineyard, fourteen years. He was married in 1857, to Elvira S., daughter of Hezekiah Hoxie, of West Falmouth. They have three children: Chloe L., Charles L. and James H. Wicks. Chloe L., who married Alonzo W. Tilton in 1876, has one son and two daughters.
Joseph S. Weeks, born in 1840, is a son of S. O. Weeks, born 1815, and grandson of John and Susan (Shiverick) Weeks [Wicks]: Susan was a daughter of Joseph Shiverick, who served seven years in the war of the revolution. His father was David Shiverick, who was born in 1726, and died in 1811. S. O. Weeks married Maria R., daughter of James, son of Rufus Fish. She is a sister of Arza Fish, of Teticket. Mr. and Mrs. S. O. Weeks have five children: Susan (Mrs. Andrew Handy), Sarah H. (widow of Ephraim Edwards), Joseph S., Arza F. and Lucy P. (Mrs. Ebenezer Handy). Joseph S. married Lydia B. Swain, of Nantucket. They have two children: George W. and Chester S. When but sixteen years of age Joseph went to sea and was gone four years. At twenty he began a business as carpenter-and builder, which he still follows.
Joseph Wing, son of Sylvanus (17S9-1847), grandson of Presbery, who came from Sandwich to North Falmouth, and great-grandson of Joshua Wing, who died in Sandwich in 1790, was born in North Falmouth in 1815. Mr. Wing was a blacksmith by trade, but abandoned that business to care for the home place, which he now owns—the house built by Silas Swift in 1783. Mr. Wing's mother, Hannah, was a daughter of Abiel Swift and granddaughter of Sylvanus Swift. Mr. Wing has been twice married, his present wife being a lady from South Boston. He has three children: Mary F. G., who was married in January, 1889, to William F. Garrison, Joseph D. and Susan L.