Century Mass. literature,
posted August 2004, revised Jan 2008
History of Barnstable County, Massachusetts
edited by Simeon L. Deyo.
1890. New York: H. W. Blake & Co
By George N. Munsell, M.D., of Harwich.
Introduction.—Barnstable District Medical Society.—Sketches of Physicians Past and Present.—Medical Examiners.
THE history of the medical profession of Barnstable county now covers a period of nearly two centuries, and the space allotted us, will not permit of long biographical sketches, but rather of dates and locations, so far as we have been able to obtain them. The members of the medical profession have been composed largely of prominent men, not only noted for their skill as physicians, but oftentimes coming to the front and taking an active part in the public affairs of the town, county and state. Many of them have been men of sterling worth, whose discretion and wisdom, combined with an extensive knowledge of human nature, have rendered them important factors in the great progressive questions of the day. Some of these we refer to in this chapter, while many others we are obliged to notice, only in brief, from the unfortunate fact that we have been unable to obtain the necessary information, and while we present to the reader a long list of honored names of those who have, during the past two hundred years, graced the medical profession, yet we feel that we have been obliged to leave unmentioned many a hero in the great arena of practical medicine, whose mission through life may have brought joy and comfort to many a suffering one, and though his name may not be written in the annals of the past, yet an honored record may be his, in the fact, that he blessed humanity.
The present membership of the Barnstable District Medical Society numbers twenty. In alphabetical order with the place of residence and year of admission the list stands thus: William S. Birge, Provincetown, 1883; Charles H. Call, Brockton, 1886; Thomas R. Clement, Osterville, 1874; Samuel T. Davis, Orleans, 1880; George W. Doane, Hyannis, 1846; Robert H. Faunce, Sandwich, 1884; Benjamin D. Gifford, Chatham, 1869; David R. Ginn, Dennis Port, 1878; Edward E. Hawes, Hyannis, 1887; Chauncey M. Hulbert, South Dennis, 1854;
George W. Kelley, Barnstable, 18S4; Horatio S. Kelley, jr., Dennis Port, 1884; George N. Munsell, Harwich, 1860; Adin H. Newton, Provincetown, 1874; Franklin W. Pierce, Marston's Mills, 1880; Peter Pineo, Boston, 1850; Samuel Pitcher, Hyannis, 1881; John E. Pratt, Sandwich, 1880; Frank A. Rogers, Brewster, 1883; William N. Stone, Wellfleet, 1869.
Dr. Samuel Adams was a physician of Truro before the revolutionary war. He was born in Killingly, Conn., in 1745, studied medicine under Dr. Nathaniel Freeman of Sandwich, and went to Truro, where in 1774, he was appointed one of the committee of correspondence. He was an ardent patriot, and when the conflict began he entered the service as a surgeon, serving through the war with distinction. Upon leaving service, he settled in Ipswich, where he engaged in the practice of his profession until 1798, when, marrying Abigail Dodge, he removed to Bath, Me., where he continued to practice until his death in 1819. Doctor Adams was a man of ability, and was highly respected in the communities where he successively resided. That he was twice married is certain. His first wife, Abigail, died July 8, 1774, in her 24th year, at Truro, where a stone marks her resting place, and that of her infant child, who died July 31, 1774, aged four weeks. Dr. Adams had several children. His son, Rev. Charles S. Adams, was once pastor of the Congregational church in Harwich.
George Atwood practiced at Marston's Mills for two years prior to 1850, when he removed to Fair Haven.
Dr. Josiah Baker was a native of Tolland, Conn., and practiced medicine in South Dennis, where he died December 7, 1810, aged 31 years.
Dr. Isaac Bangs, born in that part of Harwich now Brewster, December 11, 1752, a son of Benjamin and Desire Bangs, graduated at Harvard College in 1771 and studied medicine. He entered the revolutionary army as lieutenant in Captain Benjamin Godfrey's company in 1776, and afterward was a lieutenant in Captain Jacob Allen's company in Colonel John Bailey's regiment, in service at New York. In 1779, he was doctor's mate on board the frigate Boston, Samuel Tucker, commander. He died September 12, 1780, in Virginia. He left some account of his service in the first years of the revolutionary war in manuscript.
Dr. Jonathan Bangs was an early physician of Harwich, residing in that part of the town now Brewster. He was son of Captain Edward Bangs of Harwich, and was born in 1706. He was in practice in the town as early as 1731. He died December 7, 1745, after three weeks' sickness, aged 39 years. He married widow Phebe Bangs, January 4, 1732-3, and left one son, Allen.
J. W. Battershall, M.D., was a graduate from the College 'of Physicians and Surgeons in New York city in 1874. He was for three years surgeon in the British emigration service between London and Australia. He located at Yarmouth Port in 1870 and practiced medicine there two years, when he removed from the Cape.
William S. Birge, M.D., born in 1857 at Cooperstown, N. Y., is a son of D. L. and Amey (Spafford) Birge. He took a two years' academic course at the University of the City of New York, then studied medicine at the Long Island College Hospital, Brooklyn; at the medical department of Syracuse University and at the medical department of the University of the City of New York, where he was graduated in 1881. He practiced in Truro two years then came to Provincetown. He is a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society, and medical examiner for this district. For a time he was acting assistant surgeon in the United States marine service. He married Ella F., daughter of Zemira Kenrick.
Albert F. Blaisdell, M.D., was born in Haverhill, Mass., about 1847. He graduated from Dartmouth in 1869 in the class with Judge Harriman. He studied medicine at Harvard, and is now located at Providence, R. I. He was at one time teacher at Chatham and afterward taught school and practiced medicine in Provincetown before his removal from the Cape. He is author of several school text books and is now largely interested in educational work.
Dr. Benjamin Bourne, son of Timothy and Elizabeth Bourne, was born January 25, 1744, graduated from Harvard College in 1764, and married Hannah Bodfish. He had a large family, and left to them a large property. He was among the early practitioners of Sandwich.
Dr. Richard Bourne was a physician at Barnstable. He was born in that town November 1, 1739, and was a son of Colonel Sylvanus Bourne. He was well educated, but can claim no notice as a physician of importance. He will be remembered as the first postmaster at Barnstable. He died April 25, 1826, aged 86 years. The late Amos Otis, in his genealogical notes, has given an interesting and amusing account of him.
Dr. Eleazer C. Bowen resided in Marston's Mills from 1857 to 1860, and was succeeded by Dr. John E. Bruce from 1860 to 1862.
Dr. Nathaniel Breed was a physician of Eastham, residing in that part now Orleans. He married Anna, daughter of Thomas Knowles.
C. H. Call, M.D., was born in Warner, N. H., October 15, 1858, graduated from Harvard Medical College in 1881, and commenced the practice of medicine in Lowell, where he remained from June to August, 1881. From Lowell he went to Vermillion, South Dakota, where he resided until February, 1885, when he removed to South Yarmouth.
Dr. Elijah W. Carpenter was a successful physician of Chatham. He was born in Upton, Mass., January 31, 1814. He studied medicine at Boston under Dr. Perry, and came to Chatham about 1838, and settled. He married Mary H., daughter of Joshua Nickerson, Esq., and had four children. He removed from Chatham to Brooklyn, N. Y., and died there September 1, 1881, aged 67 years.
Dr. Chamberlain practiced medicine in West Barnstable about 1840, and was succeeded by Dr. Apollos Pratt for a few years.
Thomas R. Clement, M.D., was born March 19, 1823, in Landaff, Grafton county, N. H. He received his early education in the public schools of his native town and at Tyler's Academy, in Franklin, N. H. He studied medicine with Dr. Mark R. Woodbury, finishing with Dr. S. G. Dearborn, of Nashua, N. H. Graduating from the medical department of Burlington University (Vermont) in 1863, he began his medical practice in Mason, N. H. He was assistant surgeon in the Tenth New Hampshire regiment and held other government appointments until 1868. He practiced at Enfield, N. H., and in 1872 came to Centreville, two years later removing to the adjoining village of Osterville, where he has merited and secured a fair practice.
Dr. Daniel P. Clifford was a son of Samuel Clifford of Enfield, Mass., and for nearly fifty years practiced medicine in Barnstable county. His wife was Betsy Emery. The doctor has descendants living in several of the Cape towns. Benjamin F. Clifford of New York, and Samuel D Clifford of Chatham Port, are his sons. Mrs. George W. Nickerson, the mother of Mrs. Judge Harriman is Doctor Clifford's daughter. The doctor died at Chatham, September 23, 1863, aged 77 years. He was a man of considerable literary ability, and held a conspicuous place among the physicians of his time.
Dr. Aaron Cornish was born in Plymouth, Mass., in 1794, practiced medicine in Falmouth from 1820 to 1854, and died in New Bedford, April 7, 1864.
Dr. Samuel T. Davis, born August 4, 1856, at Edgartown, Mass., is a son of Samuel N. and Adaline N. Davis. At the age of fifteen he left the public schools and attended Mitchell's Family School for Boys two years. He commenced the study of medicine in 1875, with Dr. Winthrop Butler, of Vineyard Haven, Mass., taking two winter courses (1875-6 and 1876-7) in the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York city, graduating in February, 1878, from Bellevue Hospital Medical College. From December, 1877, to June, 1879, he was assistant house physician and house surgeon in Seamans' Relief Hospital. He was acting assistant to the Northwestern Dispensary for five months, and in July, 1879, came to Orleans, where he is still practicing. He is a member of the state medical society and was elected president of the Barnstable district society in May, 1889.
Dr. John Davis was a physician in Eastham, now Orleans, after the close of the revolutionary war. He was born in Barnstable, October 7, , and was a son of Daniel Davis. He united with the South church in Eastham, June 15, 1783. He removed to Barnstable, and was appointed judge of probate in 1800. By his wife, Mercy, among other children he had Job C., John, Robert, and Nathaniel. He died at Barnstable, May 27, 1825, aged 80years.
George W. Doane, M.D., the well known citizen and physician of Hyannis, is the eighth in lineal descent from Deacon John Doane, who came to Plymouth soon after its settlement in one of the two ships that followed the Mayflower. In 1633 he was chosen one of the assistants of the governor, and in 1636, with others, was joined with the governor and assistants as a committee to revise the laws and constitutions of the plantation. In 1642 he was again chosen assistant to Governor Winslow, and became a deacon of the Plymouth church before his removal to Nauset or Eastham in 1644. He was forty-nine years old when he arrived at Eastham and lived sixty years after, a prominent and useful citizen of the plantation. The spot where his house stood near the water, is still pointed out.
Deacon Doane's son, John Doane, jr., was appointed in 1663, by the court, a receiver of the excise or duty on the fisheries of Cape Cod. He married Hannah Bangs, and was the father of Samuel, who had three sons, of whom the youngest was Deacon Simeon Doane. Of the four sons of Simeon the eldest also earned the name of deacon and was Deacon John Doane of the last century. The oldest son of this younger Deacon John was Timothy, who was born in 1762 in Orleans, where he was subsequently a banker, bearing the sobriquet of King Doane. His son, Timothy, father of the subject of this sketch, born in 1789, was also a native of Orleans, where he learned the carpenter's trade. In the year 1816 he went to the Penobscot river, near Bangor, Me., and during the winter following he built a vessel, courted his wife, married her, loaded the vessel with lumber, and in the spring returned to Orleans. He called the vessel Six Sisters, that being the number of sisters he then had.
Of such parentage is Dr. George W. Doane, who at the age of fourteen, after several years at Orleans Academy, went to the Brewster High School one year, and in 1842 graduated from the Wesleyan Academy, at Wilbraham, Mass. In 1844 he graduated from the Harvard Medical School, just before the age of twenty-one, and at once began practice in the flourishing village of Hyannis, where he has since been one of its leading business men and where in forty-five years he has become one of the oldest and most experienced physicians on the Cape. In 1846 he became a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society, also that of Barnstable county, of which he 15
is an ex-president and one of the oldest and most honored members. Since 1882 he has been a medical examiner for the pension bureau and has long been marine hospital physician. The many duties of Doctor Doane forbid his filling any office which would demand much of his time, yet he has been a member of the town school board for many years and is active and prominent in the republican party, taking a deep interest in the body politic.
He is devotedly attached to the social side of life and loves his own pleasant home. He married in February, 1848, Caroline L. Chipman of Barnstable, who died January 27, 1866, leaving one daughter, Miss Hattie S. Doane, who is at the homestead with her father. May 23, 1868, Doctor Doane married Mrs. Susan P. Allen of Lowell, the widow of Doctor Allen, son of the missionary Rev. Dr. D. O. Allen. Her death occurred in Hyannis, May 20, 1889. Doctor Doane has been associated for forty-five years with the citizens of his town, and the county, in all the relations of an active life. As a physician he has been very successful in practice and is highly esteemed by the fraternity. His years of extensive experience and close reading have rendered his advice of great value to his medical brethren in cases requiring careful diagnosis; and his attendance is sought in consultation in his own and neighboring towns.
Dr. David Doane, an early physician of Eastham, Mass., was a son of John and Hannah Doane. He married Dorathy Horton, September 30, 1701, and had sons Jonathan, John, Nathan, Eleazar Enoch, Joshua and David. He died November 18, 1748, and lies buried in the old cemetery at Eastham.
Franklin Dodge, M.D., was born in West Groton, Mass., September 9, 1809, and died in Harwich, July 8, 1872. He prepared for college at the Leicester and Lawrence academies, and graduated at Amherst College in 1834, and from Dartmouth Medical College in 1837. He first practiced medicine in Boston, and came to Harwich in 1838, where he continued in practice to within a few months of his death. His daughter, Susan C, was married to Obed Brooks of Harwich, December 27, 1864. His eldest daughter, Georgianna, married Lewis F. Smith of Chatham, October 1, 1865.
Dr. Hugh George Donaldson, once a prominent physician of Falmouth, was born in London, June 21, 1757, and came to Cape Cod when 19 years of age. At Falmouth he taught school, pursuing his professional studies at the same time with Dr. Weeks. At the time of a great small pox excitement he became convinced of the truth of Doctor Jenner's theory of vaccination and sent to London to that medical benefactor for vaccine virus and was the first to introduce it into practice here. To prove the efficacy of the treatment to those who were incredulous and prejudiced, he placed members of his own
family in the small pox hospital after vaccinating them. He was much interested in the galvanic battery, then little used. He made one and experimented largely with it in his efforts to obtain knowledge of the wonderful power of electricity over disease. He died in 1814, of a malignant fever which prevailed in Falmouth at that time.
Dr. John Duncan was an early physician in Harwich. He removed to Boston before 1737, and died before 1756. He married Kesiah Baker of Eastham.
Erastus Emery, M.D., was born in Chatham, August 7, 1840, received his early education in the public schools of Chatham, and studied medicine with Dr. M. E. Simmons of Chatham. He graduated from Harvard Medical College in 1869, practiced medicine in Truro, Mass., for nine years, and died in Chatham, at the residence of his father John Emery, the 16th of January, 1878.
Dr. R. H. Faunce, born in 1859, is a son of Joshua T. Faunce. He graduated in June, 1882, from Harvard Medical College, and was surgical house officer in the Free Hospital for Women, at Boston, for a year, when he began practice in Sandwich.
Rev. Benjamin Fessenden, son of Nicholas and Mary (or Margaret) Fessenden was born January 30, 1701, graduated from Harvard College in 1718, was ordained September 12, 1722, and was the first person known in the practice of medicine in Sandwich. He died August 7, 1746.
Dr. William Fessenden was born in Sandwich, September 25, 1732, and settled as physician in that part of Harwich now Brewster before 1759. He married Mehitable Freeman of Harwich, February 24,1756, had nine children, and died November 5, 1802.
Dr. William Fessenden, son of Doctor William, was born in Harwich, now Brewster, and married Pede Freeman in 1807. He had five children. He died at Brewster, June 17, 1815. She died December 9, 1812.
Dr. Oliver Ford first practiced medicine at Marston's Mills, and moved to Hyannis in 1832, where he resided the remainder of his life, in active practice.
Dr. Nathaniel Freeman, an eminent physician of Sandwich, was a son of Edmund Freeman who married Martha Otis, and was born in North Dennis, March 28, 1741-2, where his father was engaged in school teaching. Removing to Mansfield, Conn., with his father's family, he completed his course of medical studies with Doctor Cobb, of Thompson, and returned to his father's native town, and commenced the practice of medicine, where he attained to distinction as a physician and surgeon. Dr. Freeman was a distinguished patriot, and leader of the patriots in the county during the revolutionary period. He died at Sandwich, September 20, 1827. He was three times
married and was the father of twenty children, one of whom was Rev. Frederick Freeman, the historian.
Dr. Matthew Fuller, the first regular physician in Barnstable, came to this country about 1640. His parents came in 1620, in the Mayflower, leaving him in care of friends. He never saw them afterward as they died soon after their arrival at Plymouth. Doctor Fuller was a man of prominence in the colony. He was surgeon general of the Plymouth forces before and after Philip's war, and was captain in the war. He died at Barnstable, in 1678. He left children. His wife was named Frances and probably came with him to this country. Doctor Fuller resided at West Barnstable.
Dr. John Fuller, son of Dr. Matthew, settled near his father's place at Scorton Neck. He was twice married, and he had three children, one son and two daughters. He died in 1691.
Charles F. George, M.D., came to Centreville and practiced medicine from 1865 to 1872. He then removed to Goffstown, N. H., where he now resides.
Dr. Benjamin D. Gifford, born November 19, 1841, at Provincetown, is a son of Simeon S. and Marinda A. (Dods) Gifford. He attended Westbrook Seminary, Maine, and Englewood school, New Jersey, graduating from the classical department of Madison University, New York, in 1864 and from Albany Medical College two years later. He practiced in Fond-du-lac, Wis., two years, in Gloucester, Mass., two years and in 1871 came to Chatham, where he has since practiced.
David R. Ginn, M.D.—The first of this name who came to the continent from England was Edward K. Ghen. He settled in Maryland last century, rearing three sons, one of whom remained in Maryland, one removed to Provincetown and one to Maine, where the subject of this sketch was born May 1, 1844, at Vinalhaven. From the age of eight he was more or less on the sea until 1865. When nineteen years of age he enlisted in the Union army in the Second Maine Cavalry, Company E, and after nearly two years was transferred to the navy where he served under Farragut in the capture of the forts of Mobile bay. He was discharged in 1865, returned home, and commenced his professional studies. After a suitable education at Oak Grove Seminary he entered in 1869 at Harvard, where he graduated in medicine February 14, 1872. In November, 1873, he came from Martha's Vineyard to Dennis Port and began practice. His business success, the erection of fine blocks in Dennis Port, are fully mentioned in the history of that village. In 1884 he erected in Harwich, near Dennis Port, his fine residence which, with his block of stores, is the subject of an illustration in the proper connection. Since locating here the doctor has gained a large practice in his own and
adjoining towns, requiring three horses and two carriages to enable him to satisfy the calls. He is a member of the Massachusetts Medical society and of the Barnstable district, and occupies a prominent position in the profession.
He was married January 8, 1885, to Annie E. Chase, daughter of Darius and granddaughter of Job Chase. His children are: Lucy Lillian, James Richard, and David Clifton. His professional duties forbid the acceptance of civil trusts but he finds time for those social enjoyments pertaining to his family, the Lodge and the Baptist church. In his profession, his business and his republican principles he steadily maintains that perseverance which has assured him the present measure of success.
Willis Webster Gleason, M.D., was born in Chelsea, Mass., May 29, 1853, and graduated from Boston Medical University in 1877. He practiced medicine in Gardner, Mass., one year, and then moved to Provincetown continuing in practice there until 1889, when he moved to New York where he is now located. While a resident of Provincetown he was medical examiner for two years, and Marine Hospital surgeon for one year.
William B. Gooch, M.D., was born in Maine, and graduated at Brunswick Medical College. He practiced for many years at North Yarmouth, Maine. Leaving there, he was appointed American consul at Aux Cayes, and leaving that position about 1843 he came to South Dennis, where he practiced until 1851, when he removed to Lowell. In 1853 he went to California, and returned to South Dennis in 1854. In 1855 he moved to Truro, where he died June 29, 1868, aged 72 years, and his remains were buried in South Dennis.
Dr. Charles Goodspeed was born in June 1770, and practiced medicine for many years in Hyannis and vicinity. He died in Sandwich March 29, 1848, and was buried in Hyannis. His son was Captain Charles Goodspeed who resided where the Iyanough House now stands.
Samuel H. Gould, M.D.—This eminent physician, who for nearly four-score years practiced successfully in Brewster and the adjoining towns, was born at Ipswich, December 19, 1814. His school days in his native town were supplemented by a course of training in Topsfield Academy and at Bradford, after which he taught with good success in the public schools of Methuen, Hamilton and Wenham. Subsequently he turned his attention to the science which was to become his life study and the art which was to be his life work. After studying medicine with Dr. Nathan Jones and Dr. E. N. Kittridge in Lynn, he graduated from Bowdoin Medical College in 1839, and located in Eastham in 1840. Remaining a few years there, he settled at Brewster in 1844, where he resided and practiced until his death, August
25, 1882. Here he occupied a prominent position in his profession, and in the social and civil relations of life. He was elected in 1867 to represent his district in the legislature, and was re-elected in 1868. He served the town eleven years as town clerk and treasurer, and for many years was chairman of the school board. Years ago, when many of the savings banks in the state closed their doors, he, being a director in the Harwich Institution of savings, assumed, by earnest request, its presidency in its most trying time, and to him was accredited its escape from embarrassment.
In his profession he was a constant attendant upon the meetings of the District Medical Society, of which he was an early and valued member ; and as a careful practitioner and counselor was highly esteemed. These professional calls were not the only blessings he conferred upon the sick. His pastor, Rev. Thomas Dawes said of him after his death: He was a man who looked beyond himself, and thought a devoted mind and religious faith essential to his patients; and possessed those qualifications that secured the confidence of men. At his funeral his pastor was constrained to confess the doctor's great help to him in the sick-room. Doctor Atwood, of Fairhaven, said: Doctor Gould presents a character eminently worthy of commendation, for in whatever situation in life he was placed his influence was always on the side of progression—in action, in morals, and every cause tending to the elevation of mankind. By those who knew him best in the social, daily round of life, his individuality, ready sympathy and usefulness will be longest remembered. The marked feature of his character around which a halo of light will ever cluster, was his loving kindness in the scenes of suffering to which his duty as a physician, neighbor and friend called him. He ministered alike faithfully to the poor and the rich, and the poor who knew him well can best fathom the depth and fulness of his generosity. To a friend he was a never failing adviser and helper, and in his honesty could endure no shams. At his death the profession lost a careful practitioner, his family a devoted husband and father, the community a valuable citizen, and this world lost one of the world's true noblemen.
Doctor Gould was a representative of a long line of worthy ancestors, the first to New England being Zaccheus, who settled near Salem in 1638. The male line of descent from this first comer, was John, Zaccheus, John, John, to Amos, the father of the subject of this sketch. Amos Gould married, in 1797, Mary Herrick, of whose nine children the sixth was Dr. Samuel H. Gould, who married, November 25, 1840, Abigail S., daughter of Moses Foster of Wenham. Her father was a sea captain thirty years in the merchant service. Of his seven children the only son was killed by a
fall from the mast, and besides Mrs. Gould one older daughter, Mrs. Harriet Haskell, survives.
Doctor Gould had three children : John E., born October 2, 1842, who died at the age of four years; Charles E., born July 9, 1849, who married M. Addie Davis of Wenham, and has one child—Susan C.; and George A. Gould, born February 25, 1854, who married Ellen M. Cook of Lowell, and who also has a daughter named Abigail M. Gould. The widow of Doctor Gould occupies the homestead at Brewster.
Solomon F. Haskins, M.D., was born in Prescott, Mass., September 8, 1858. He moved to Orange when a small boy and there received his early education; entered Dartmouth Medical College in 1876, graduating in 1879, and was one year in the University of Michigan under special instruction from Prof. E. S. Dunster. He came to Yarmouth in 1880, and remained there in practice four years, then removed to Hudson to engage in the drug business. In 1888 he removed to Orange, where he is now practicing.
Dr. Edward E. Hawes, druggist and physician at Hyannis, was born in Maine, in 1862, and was educated at Pittsfield, Me., and at Bowdoin College. After a course in medicine at New York he took his degree at the Vermont State University in 1886.
Dr. James Hedge practiced medicine and was succeeded by Dr. George Shove.
Dr. Abner Hersey, a very eminent physician and surgeon of Barnstable, was born in Hingham, in 1721, came to Barnstable in 1741, and commenced the study of medicine with his brother James, whom he succeeded in 1741. In a short period he commanded an extensive practice which never decreased during his lifetime. He married Hannah Alien of Barnstable, October 3, 1743, and died January 9, 1787. By will, Doctor Hersey gave five hundred pounds, "for the encouragement and support of a professor of physic and surgery at the University in Cambridge, and a number of books for the library." He kindly remembered the thirteen churches of the Congregational order in Barnstable county, by giving them the use and improvement of the remainder of his estate, forever, after the decease of his wife, and the payment of the legacy to Harvard University. The late Amos Otis has said of him: " Forgetting his eccentricities, he was a most skilful physician, a man whose moral character was unimpeached, of good sense, sound judgment, a good neighbor and citizen and an exemplary and pious member of the church."
Dr. James Hersey was born in Hingham, Mass., December 21, 1716, and settled in Barnstable before 1737. He was twice married His first wife was Lydia, daughter of Colonel Shubael Gorham by whom he had a son, James. His second wife was Mehitabel, daughter of
John Davis, Esq., by whom he had a son, Ezekiel. Doctor Hersey was a very skilful physician, and had an extensive practice in the county. He died July 22, 1741.
Dr. Thomas Holker was a practitioner of note in Wellfleet early in the last century, Nothing is known of his history except that he was an Englishman of learning and ability who practiced in the town and vicinity and was much respected. He was buried in the old burying ground at the head of Duck creek prior to 1765, for tradition says that when the addition to the church was made that year, it extended over his grave.
Dr. Nathaniel Hopkins, son of Prence and Patience Hopkins, was born in that part of Harwich now Brewster, January 27, 1760. He studied medicine and settled in East Brewster. He was a physician of standing and was prominent in the movement to divide the town in 1803. He was the first clerk of the Baptist church in Brewster, of which he was one of the first members. He married Ann Armstrong of Franklin, Conn., in 1799, and had ten children; eight sons and two daughters. Only two children settled in Brewster. Joseph Hopkins, the fourth son, settled in Mount Vernon, Me., where he died a few years since. Doctor Hopkins died at East Brewster, March 26, 1826.
Dr. Thomas Hopkins, son of Dr. Nathaniel Hopkins, was born in Brewster, in 1819, and studied medicine at Philadelphia. He practiced his profession a short time in his native town, then removed to Scituate, Mass., where he practiced many years; but failing health compelled his return to his native town and giving up professional work. He was somewhat eccentric, but was a thoroughly good man, respected and honored. He died suddenly, November 28, 1878.
Dr. Zabina Horton settled in Dennis as a physician before the present century. He died November 14, 1815.
Chauncey Munsell Hulbert, M.D., is one of the oldest living practitioners of this county. He was born in East Sheldon, Franklin county, Vt., on the ninth of November, 1818, and received his education at Johnson Academy. His studies were vigorously prosecuted with Dr. Horace Eaton, governor of Vermont, and subsequently a professor in Middlebury college. He attended lectures at Pittsfield, Mass.. completing the medical course at Woodstock, Vt., where he graduated in 1844. He commenced practice at Franklin, Vt., but after two years removed to East Berkshire in the same state. In 1852 he came to South Dennis, where he has since practiced his profession successfully. His ride has been extensive and his long ripe experience has made his services valuable. He is a member of the State Medical Society; has been president of the Barnstable district, and for the past fifteen years its treasurer.
In 1845 he married Lovina Paul, who died in 1865. Their son,
Munsell P., died September, 1851, aged two years. He was married in 1869, to Mrs. Lydia N. Chase, a widow with two daughters. The second wife died in 1885. Her only surviving daughter married Willis G. Myers, of Portsmouth, N. H., with whom and their two children the doctor continues the most affectionate relations.
Of him a brother in the profession says: The doctor is a practical man and has no patience with subtle theories, but keeps steadily along the well-beaten and reliable path of his profession, using every well established practice. His penchant for the practical side of his profession is illustrated at every meeting of the district society where he has a case to relate concerning his own treatment, on which he solicits the opinion of his confreres. He has a high appreciation of humor and wit, and no one of the Barnstable society adds more piquancy and humor to the after-dinner sociability. The results of his experience are always sought by the younger members of the profession, and he most sympathetically enters into their hopes and plans. He is a typical physician, full of zeal for the success of his labors, and is actuated by the highest Christian principles.
Dr. Samuel Jackson resided in Barnstable.
Dr. Thomas P. Jackson practiced medicine in Harwich and afterward at Marston's Mills from 1843 to 1845. He died in Italy.
Dr. F. H. Jenkins has practiced medicine for many years in West Barnstable, where he now resides.
Leslie C. Jewell, M.D., was born in Wales, Me., April 20, 1852, received his academic education at Bates' College, Lewiston, Me., and graduated in medicine at Boston University in 1876. He then settled in Cape Elizabeth, Me., where he practiced till 1881, when he removed to Chatham, Mass., and remained in active practice there nearly seven years. He is practicing now at Auburn, Me.
Ellis P. Jones, M.D., was born in Brewster, January 24, 1853, was educated in the University of Vermont and graduated July 15, 1889. He then located in Orleans, where he formerly resided, and commenced the practice of medicine.
Luther Jones, M.D., was born in Acton, Mass., in 1817. He commenced the practice of medicine in South Yarmouth in 1846, where he was married in 1847. Later, on account of ill health, he went to California, where he died in 1862. Millard Jones, of Yarmouth, is his son.
G. Wallace Kelley, M.D., was born November 7, 1856, at Newburyport, Mass. His early education was in Newburyport High School, and June 26, 1878, he was graduated from Harvard Medical School. He began practice at the New York Hospital in 1879, and located in Barnstable in November, 1883, where he now resides and enjoys a fine practice.
Horatio S. Kelley, jr., M.D., was born July 24, 1854, in Dennis. He is a son of Horatio S. and grandson of Nehemiah Kelley. His mother was Olive, daughter of Doane Kelley. Dr. Kelley was first educated in the schools of his town, then entered his father's store, where he remained until 1880, studying medicine in the meantime. In 1880 he went to the Boston University Medical College for a short time, in 1882 entered College of Physicians and Surgeons at Boston, and in 1883 went to University Medical College of New York, where he graduated in 1884, beginning practice as a physician at that time. Doctor Kelley, with Doctor Hulbert, built a store at West Dennis in 1885. He purchased Doctor Hulbert's interest in 1888, and still continues the business.
Dr. Jonathan Kenrick, youngest son of Edward and Deborah Kenrick, was born in that part of old Harwich now South Orleans, November 14, 1715. His father was a trader, and the first of the name who settled in the town. Doctor Kenrick married Tabitha Eldridge, of Chatham. His career as a physician was short. He died July 20, 1753, and lies buried in the old cemetery at Orleans, where a slate stone with inscription marks the place of his sepulture. It is said he was " a learned, amiable man and an eminent physician." He left three children: Samuel, Anson and Jonathan. His house stood but a few feet from the house of Seneca Higgins.
Dr. Samuel Kenrick, eldest son of Doctor Jonathan, was born in 1741, studied medicine with Dr. Nathaniel Breed of Eastham, and settled upon his father's place. He had a large field of labor, and was a successful practitioner. He attained, it is said, a high eminence as a physician in this section of the county. He died February 10, 1791. He married Esther Mayo of Eastham, and had seven children. The sons were Samuel, Jonathan (father of the present Alfred Kenrick, Esq., of Orleans) and Warren Anson, who studied medicine and settled in Wellfleet, where he died February 10, 1808, aged 44 years. Dr. Samuel Kenrick lies buried in Orleans, where a stone with inscription marks the spot. His widow, Esther, died in January, 1827, aged 86 years.
Leonard Latter, M.D., born in 1843, in Sussex, England, is a son of Leonard Latter, and he passed the London College of Pharmacy and was a drug clerk in England, ten years, and came to Barnstable county in 1869. He entered a medical college in Maine and after one term there, went to the Detroit Medical College from which he graduated in 1875. After a short practice in Michigan and in Iowa, he returned to Barnstable county, locating at Monument Beach in 1883, where he still practices. He was married in 1886 to Mrs. Margaret W. Bradbury.
Doctor Jonathan Leonard, an eminent physician of Sandwich, was
born in Bridgewater, Mass., February 17, 1763, and graduated at Harvard College in 1786. He settled in Sandwich about 1789. He was a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society. He died January 25, 1849, aged 86 years. He married Temperance Hall, May 10, 1796, and he had five children.
Jonathan Leonard, M.D.,* was the son of the above mentioned Dr. Jonathan Leonard. He was born in Sandwich January 7, 1805, was educated in the Sandwich Academy and at Harvard. Choosing medicine as a profession he commenced practice with his father in 1827, and continued in practice up to a short time before his death, January 29, 1882.
A friend writes of him as follows : "A brow on which every god did set his seal to give the world assurance of a man." For many, many years the most striking figure in all our town was Doctor Leonard. Highly educated, the son of a famous physician and himself a graduate of Harvard Medical School, he at once took a leading position in his native town, not only as a man, but as a physician and surgeon. Who that ever saw him in his later years and conversed with him can forget his appearance and the impression he left behind —that glorious head of white hair, the serene, yet withal, kindly and intellectual expression of the face, the erect form, the firm set mouth, the quick and penetrating glance of the eye, all marked him as a man highly gifted by nature and of great intellectual ability.
As a professional man he was highly respected among his brethren, stood side by side and ranked with the best among them. He possessed, in a large degree, what ought to be common, but which we, after all rarely find,—the gift of common sense, and used it successfully. As a consequence his services and opinions were sought for far and wide. At once he gained the confidence of his patients and when gained it was never lost. His hand was soft as thistle down to the throbbing pulse and aching brow. The writer still remembers the touch of that hand. But the life of man is limited. After a long and successful practice, many years of honor, at the age of three score and seventeen years, as ripe fruit in autumn falls from the tree —he was quietly gathered to his fathers—and one day the town in which he had so long lived, found he had "passed on beyond the gates." It can truly be said of Doctor Leonard that he was one of " nature's noblemen," " that the world is better for his having lived in it." He was deeply interested in all that pertained to the welfare of his native town, particularly its educational interests. In his religious views he was broad and liberal, and was always a liberal contributor to that branch of the Christian church whose teachings were in harmony with his own religious thought.
* By Hon. Charles Dillingham.
He was twice married: first in 1830 to Miss Alice C, daughter of Samuel H. Babcock, Esq., of Boston ; second in 1868 to Mrs. Mary T. Jarvis, daughter of C. C. P. Waterman, Esq., of Sandwich, who, with the daughter by the first marriage and a son by the second, resides on the old homestead in Sandwich.
Dr. Samuel Lord was a physician of Chatham. He was a son of Rev. Joseph Lord, and was born, probably in South Carolina, June 26, 1707, where his father was then settled. He came to Chatham with his father's family in 1719, and died of small pox early in 1766.
Lyman H. Luce, M.D., of Martha's Vineyard, practiced medicine at Falmouth from 1869 to 1880. He then removed to West Tisbury, Mass., where he now resides. He married Lizzie, daughter of Captain John R. Lawrence of Falmouth.
Henry E. McCollum, M.D., a graduate of Bowdoin Medical College, practiced medicine at Marston's Mills from 1847 to 1868, and subsequently died there.
William M. Moore, M.D., born in 1848 at Barnet, Vt., is a son of William Moore. He received a preparatory course at St. Johnsbury Academy and graduated July 1, 1880, from Burlington Medical College, Vermont. He practiced in St. Johnsbury and adjoining towns in Vermont, also in Carroll county, New Hampshire, from 1880 until 1888, and since October of that year has been located in Provincetown. He is a member of the White Mountain Medical Society, and of the Carroll County Society. He married Emma J., daughter of George L. Kelley.
George M. Munsell, M.D.,* born December 14, 1835, at Burlington, is the only son of Rev. Joseph R. Munsell, for years pastor of the Congregational church at Harwich. Doctor Munsell's earlier education was received in Hampden and Belfast Academies, after which he studied medicine with Dr. C. M. Hulbert of South Dennis. In March, 1860, he graduated from the medical department of Harvard College, and at once commenced practice in Bradford, Me., where he remained one year. In 1861 he returned to Harwich as an associate of Dr. Fanklin Dodge. In July, 1862, he entered the army as first assistant surgeon of the Thirty-fifth Regiment of the Massachusetts Volunteers; but resigned his commission, April, 1863, on account of ill health and returned to Harwich, Mass., where he has since actively pursued the practice of medicine. He has been for eight years medical examiner of the county; as a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society he served one year as president of the Barnstable district and one as vice-president of the state society; and now is medical director of the state department of the G. A. R., also is on the national staff.
* By the editor.
The doctor takes a keen interest in the social and civil affairs of life, in which he is an important factor. The interests of the G. A. R. have engaged his attention for several years, and four years he was commander of F. D. Hammond Post, which includes the towns of Harwich, Chatham, Eastham, Orleans, Brewster and Dennis. In November, 1889, he was elected the Republican representative from the second district of Barnstable county. In June, 1860, he married Lizzie K., daughter of Miller W. Nickerson, who was the son of Eleazer Nickerson of South Dennis. Their two daughters are : Louise H. and Lizzie T. Munsell. But few practitioners possess as fully as Doctor Munsell the respect and admiration of patients. His affability, practicability, and ambition to excel have made him successful in every walk of life.
Dr. A. H. Newton was born in Vermont in 1817, and began the practice of medicine in Truro, Mass., in 1850, where he remained until 1866, when he removed to Chatham. In 1876 he went to Provincetown, where he has practiced to the present time.
Dr. E. C. Newton, fifth son of Dr. A. H. Newton, graduated from Bellevue New York Medical College in 1887, practiced two years in Provincetown, and is now settled in Everett, Mass.
Dr. F. L. Newton, third son of Dr. A. H. Newton, graduated from Boston University Medical School in 1884, and practiced in Provincetown for two years. He then studied one year in Dublin and Vienna and settled in Somerville, Mass., where he is now in practice.
Dr. Stephen A. Paine, son of Moses and Priscilla Paine, was a successful physician of Provincetown. He was born in Truro in 1806, and spent the whole of his professional life in Provincetown. It has been well said, "but few men have been more useful and more trusted than he." He was deeply interested in education, and for many years on the school board, and the chairman many years. He was a representative from Provincetown in 1841 and 1842. He died September 3, 1869, leaving no children. He was an esteemed member of King Hiram Lodge. He was a lineal descendant of Thomas Paine, one of the first settlers of Truro.
Dr. Daniel Parker was born in West Barnstable in 1735 and died in 1810. His house was near the present Barnstable town house. John W. B. Parker, of West Barnstable, is one of his grandchildren.
John H. Patterson, M.D., was born in South Merrimack, N. H., March 2, 1863, graduated at Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass., in 1882, at Dartmouth College in 1886, and Dartmouth Medical College in 1889. He commenced practice in Harwich in December, 1889, in place of Dr. George N. Munsell, who was elected member of the house of representatives, and obliged to give up his practice for several months.
Franklin W. Pierce, M.D., was born in Edgartown, Mass., on the 11th of September, 1852. Dr. Hugh G. Donaldson was his maternal great-grandfather. He graduated from Wilbraham Academy in 1872, and from Yale University in 1876. He graduated from the University of New York City Medical College in 1879, and in May of that year commenced the practice of medicine in Centreville. Six months later he removed to Marston's Mills, where he has since resided, and is one of the medical examiners of Barnstable county. June 14, 1884, he married Annie Augusta Hale of Brunswick, Me., and has one son, born November 24, 1888. His wife died April 23, 1890.
Peter Pineo, M.D., was born in Cornwallis, Nova Scotia, March 6, 1825, studied medicine there four years, attended one full term at Harvard Medical College, and subsequently graduated from Bowdoin Medical College in May, 1847. He first practiced medicine in Portland, Me., and in Boston, Mass., and settled in Barnstable in 1850, as the successor of Doctor Jackson. He removed to Groton, Mass., in 1853, where he practiced until 1859, when he accepted the professorship of medical jurisprudence and clinical medicine in Castleton Medical College, Vermont. In June, 1861, he was commissioned surgeon of the Ninth Regiment Massachusetts Volunteers, and entered active service. In August, 1861, he was commissioned brigade surgeon of United States Volunteers, and served on the staffs successively of Generals James S. Wadsworth and Rufus King, and was General McDowell's medical director during the second Bull Run battles. He also was serving on the staff of General George G. Meade, as medical director of the First Army Corps, at Antietam, and South Mountain, in 1862. In November, 1862, he was ordered to Washington in charge of Douglass General Hospital (600 beds) and in March, 1863, was commissioned as lieutenant colonel and medical inspector of United States Volunteers and ordered to inspect the Department of the Gulf, General Banks commanding. During the years 1863-1865, he inspected every army on the Atlantic coast from Washington to Texas. He was consulting surgeon of Jefferson Davis during his confinement at Fortress Monroe. In 1866 he settled in Hyannis and took charge of the United States Marine Hospital Service of Barnstable county until 1880, when, on account of ill health, he relinquished the practice of medicine, and has since resided in Boston.
Dr. Samuel Pitcher, of Hyannis, the originator of the famous Pitcher's Castoria, was born in Hyannis, October 23, 1824. His greatgrandfather, Joseph Pitcher, came here from Scituate. Doctor Pitcher began the study of medicine in 1840 with Dr. S. C. Ames of Lowell, and during the half century since then, he has given his thought and attention to the study and practice of the healing art. In 1847-8 he was in the College of Medicine at Philadelphia, and in the latter year began
the experiments which twenty years later led to the introduction of Castoria, from which in 1869 he realized $10,000. He was at Harvard Medical College in 1850, and except when away as a student, has continuously resided at Hyannis, where his ability and worth as a citizen and physician have long been recognized. He is a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society and a director of the First National Bank of Hyannis.
D. L. Powe, M.D., was born on Prince Edwards Island, April 28, 1853, and removed to Boston in 1874, after having received the educational advantages afforded by the graded schools of his native place. In 1879 he attended the first course of lectures ever given in the Maine Eclectic Medical School, and graduated three years later. This school subsequently came under another management and is now extinct. In 1883 he located in Boston, became a member of the Eclectic Medical Society of Massachusetts, practiced a year and in the following March came to Falmouth where in February, 1885, he married Captain N. P. Baker's daughter, Mary F. He succeeded Dr. J. P. Bills, who had practiced some five years in Falmouth and Pocasset.
John E. Pratt, M.D., was born in 1850 in Freeport, Me. He attended the schools of Meriden, N. H., took a classical course at Dartmouth, and in 1877 graduated from the Dartmouth Medical School. From 1877 to 1880 he practiced medicine in Auburn. N. H. In 1880 he came to Sandwich where he has since practised. He is a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society. He was married in 1878 to Sarah E. Cornish, and has two daughters.
Dr. Apollos Pratt succeeded Doctor Chamberlain in the practice of medicine at South Yarmouth, and died in 1860.
Dr. Greenleaf J. Pratt was born in Mansfield, Mass., in 1794, and settled as a physician in Harwich about 1815. He had an extensive practice for many years. He was a representative from Harwich in 1827, and several years on the school committee. He resided at North Harwich, where he died January 13, 1858. He married Ruth, daughter of Anthony and Reliance Kelley, April 2, 1818, and had four children.
Thomas B. Pulsifer, M.D., born in 1842 in Maine, is a son of M. R. Pulsifer, M.D. He was in Waterville College from 1859 until 1861, when he entered the army in the First Maine Cavalry. He studied medicine with his father for some time, and finally graduated from Hahnemann College of Philadelphia in 1872. In 1873, he came to Yarmouth where he has practiced since that time. He married Anna, daughter of Benjamin Gorham, and has two children—Cora R. and Gorham.
Dr. Clinton J. Ricker,* who died at Chatham, Mass., March 15, 1886, was born at Great Falls, N. H., January 29, 1847. He was the
* By Prof. M. F. Daggett of Chatham.
youngest of the five children of Captain and Mrs. Josiah Clarke of Great Falls. His mother dying when he was but a few weeks old, and his father wishing to make a long journey from home, the boy was received into the home of Mr. and Mrs. Allen Ricker, residing near Milton Mills, N. H., who adopted and reared him as their son. Here he passed his boyhood days, receiving the meager advantages of the district school in winter and developing his muscles on the farm in summer.
His life was uneventful until he arrived at the age of sixteen years, when, like many other New England boys in that time of our country's greatest need, he determined to enter the service as a soldier the consent of his foster parents being refused on account of his youthful age, a compromise was effected by his going out as servant to his brother, C. Clarke, a captain of cavalry in the regular army, who promised to restrain the boy's youthful impetuosity and protect him from all harm. This promise was, however, unavailing, for in the heat of battle, though commanded to remain in the rear, he forgot his brother's rank and authority, and, burning with military ardor, he rushed into the fight and did effective service, bringing back as proofs of his contact with the enemy, wounds received from a rebel ball and sabre stroke.
In 1865 we find him at Milton Classical Institute, studying French, Latin, and other branches preparatory to a college course ; and later at Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine, from which he probably graduated in 1871, entering the Bowdoin Medical School the same year, where he took two courses of lectures. In 1873 and 1874 he continued his medical studies at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York city, taking high standing in a large class and graduating in 1874. He soon commenced the practice of his profession at New Market, N.H., and entered at about the same time into partnership in the drug business at Dover. His efforts in his chosen occupation seemed marked with success, his skill soon became known, and his practice largely increased. But reverses were in store for him. Hard work and exposure, incident to a large country practice, undermined a naturally strong constitution and he suffered a stroke of paralysis, which prostrated him for many months, and from which he never fully recovered. At the same time his business partner at Dover, taking advantage of Doctor Ricker's enforced absence, purchased a large stock of goods on as long credit as possible, and selling the goods at a discount for cash, absconded with the funds and drove the firm into bankruptcy. These and other financial losses, together with his long illness, prevented Doctor Ricker's return to practice at New Market, and the winter of 1878 he spent in Stockbridge, Mass., having been invited to care, temporarily, for the business of Doctor Miller.
Doctor Ricker next secured the appointment as assistant port physician at Boston, and here he was recognized as a skilful physician and competent official. This position he retained until his health, which had been for some years delicate, again broke down, and he was compelled by change of climate and a voyage at sea to seek its restoration.
In the fall of 1880 he came to Chatham, Mass., where he continued in practice during the remaining years of his life, and where his genial manners, sympathetic nature, and earnest efforts in behalf of his patients, as well as his marked ability as a physician and surgeon, won for him the enduring respect, confidence, and esteem of the people.
May 21, 1879, Doctor Ricker was united in marriage to Miss Louise B. Martel, of Newton, Mass., a lady of intelligence, refinement and good education, a descendant of a family once famous in French history. This lady, who survives her husband, testifies to his having possessed the many excellent qualities of mind and heart that make the domestic life beautiful and happy.
Through life he was a student in his devotion to scientific and literary pursuits, and was a frequent contributor to magazines and newspapers. He was often invited to the lecture-platform, and both in New Hampshire and Massachusetts he frequently addressed large audiences, pronouncing in Chatham in 1882 one of the finest Memorial Day addresses ever delivered in this section of the state. His keen insight into abstruse subjects, his comprehensive view of public affairs, his just discrimination and impartial criticism, combined with brilliant conversational powers, purity of diction and a vivid imagination, made Dr. Clinton J. Ricker an interesting private companion and eloquent public speaker.
James A. Robinson, M.D., was born in Claremont, N. H., November 29, 1857, and was the son of Willard H. and Martha J. Robinson. When six years of age he moved to Brookline, Mass., where he received his early education and entered Harvard College in 1876. In 1879 he entered the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania and graduated in 1882. After practicing in Taunton and adjoining towns, he moved to Chatham in 1888, where he is now located.
Frank A. Rogers, M.D.—This rising young physician, born at Newfield, Me., was educated at Limerick Academy, and at Kent's Hill Seminary, received a full academic course for Bowdoin College, but changed his mind and entered the medical department, from which he graduated in 1876. He practiced nearly a year at Bethel, Me., when he sold his interest to a classmate who had made a settlement there about the same time. He then filled the position of principal in Litchfield Academy two years, removing to Atlanta, Ga., to fill the chair of instructor in science and language in the university of that
city. After practicing his profession two years, in Nebraska, he settled in Brewster, in 1882, purchased his homestead and in 1884 opened a drug store in connection with his practice. During his term of practice at Brewster he has attained a prominent position in the profession, excelling in surgery. In 1883 he joined the Massachusetts Medical Society, and for six years past has been the secretary of the Barnstable district. High compliment is due to his mechanical and scientific genius, which, combined with his energy and perseverance assures his highest success. As a special correspondent of the signal service he has in use an electric anemometer recorder of his own invention and construction, which more effectually records the velocity of the wind than any other in the service.
Something might well be expected of a man with the doctor's antecedents. His ancestry is traceable back to John Rogers, the martyr, who was burned at the stake February 14, 1555. The first of the family who came to the New World was Rev. Nathaniel Rogers, who settled at Ipswich in 1636, where he died in 1655. His son, Rev. John Rogers, M.D., practiced at the same place, departing this life in 1684, leaving a son, Rev. John, who was pastor of the First church of Ipswich until his death in 1745. The next in the lineal descent was Rev. Daniel Rogers, a tutor of Harvard College, who died in 1785, at Exeter, N. H. His son, Thomas, moved to Ossipee, N. H., where John Rogers, grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was born and subsequently removed to Newfield, Me., where he died in 1866. At the latter place Rev. John A. Rogers was born, April 29, 1833, who in 1854 married Julia A. Nealey of Parsonsfield, Me., and settled in the ministry as pastor of the F. W. Baptist church, which service he continued until his death, February 6, 1866, leaving two children—Frank A. and Addie A., now Mrs. B. F. Lombard of Portsmouth, N. H.
Frank A. Rogers, M.D., was born October 8, 1855, at Newfield, and was married November 30, 1876, to Lottie A. Bowker of Phipsburg, Me. They have three children—Amabel, Frank Leston, and Alice M. The doctor is an active republican, interesting himself in the affairs of the body politic, and for four years last past has acted on the school board of Brewster. In the church of his choice, the Baptist, he is superintendent of its Sunday school; and in the busy scenes of science and his profession he finds opportunity for the enjoyment of those religious and social relations to which he is devotedly attached.
Dr. Moses Rogers, a physician of Falmouth, was a son of Mayo and Mercy Rogers, of Harwich, where he was born in 1818. He settled in Falmouth, Mass., where he died February 4, 1862, aged 44.
Dr. Nathaniel Ruggles was a resident physician at one time at Marston's Mills.
Dr. Henry Russell was born in Providence, R. I., June 31, 1814. He studied four years with Dr. James B. Forsyth, graduated at the University of Pennsylvania in 1841, and commenced the practice of medicine at Nantucket. Three years later he removed to New Bedford, where he practiced for six years, since which time he has resided and practiced mostly in Sandwich.
Joseph Sampson, M.D., born in Nantucket in 1784, was a graduate of Harvard Medical College, and was on the Embargo Commission in 1809, he being at that time a resident of Brewster. He was married in 1815 to Deborah R. Cobb of Brewster, was the first president of the Barnstable District Medical Society, and died in Brewster in 1845.
Dr. Samuel Savage was born in 1748. He resided near the present residence of Henry F. Loring, west of Barnstable village. He was very peculiar in his manners, and when the stage-coach was passing, would ascend a large rock, which is still there, and in sepulchral tones announce himself as a physician and surgeon. He died June 28, 1831.
Dr. Stephen Hull Sears, son of Stephen and Henrietta (Hull) Sears, was born in South Yarmouth, July 31, 1854. He studied medicine with Dr. A. Miller at Needham, Mass., graduated in medicine at Bellevue Hospital Medical School, New York, in 1879, and practiced in Newport, R. I., from December 30, 1879, until the summer of 1889, when he removed to Yarmouth, where he is now located. In December, 1881, he was appointed A. A. surgeon in the United States marine hospital service which position he held while in Newport. He was also four years surgeon of the Newport Artillery Company, by appointment of Governor Wetmore, with the rank of major. Doctor Sears married, August 23, 1881, Marianna B., daughter of Danforth P.W. and Angeline (Bearse) Parker of Barnstable, and has three children.
Dr. Joseph Seabury, second son of Ichabod Seabury, studied medicine with Doctor Fessenden of Brewster, located in Orleans in 1782, practiced there seventeen years, and died March 27, 1800.
Dr. Benjamin Seabury succeeded his father, Dr. Joseph Seabury, as physician in Orleans and vicinity, practiced there until April, 1837, when he removed to Boston, and subsequently to Charlestown, where he practiced until the time of his death, September 16, 1853
Benjamin F. Seabury, M.D., son of Dr. Benjamin Seabury, succeeded his father as physician and surgeon in Orleans from 1837 until his death there February 26, 1890. He studied medicine with his father and at the medical school of Harvard University from which he graduated. His only son is Samuel W. Seabury, now in command of a ship from San Francisco to Australia.
Dr. John Seabury, fourth son of Dr. Joseph Seabury, born February 4, 1790, practiced in Chatham fifteen years, then removed to Southbridge, Mass., and subsequently to Camden, N. C, where he died.
Dr. George Shove was born in Sandwich, October 14, 1817, where he was at one time a teacher in the school of Paul Wing. He was educated to the profession in the University of Pennsylvania. In 1846 he became a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society and of the Barnstable County Society, in which latter he was president. He was eight years surgeon of the United States Marine Hospital at Hyannis. His practice was extensive, reaching from Cotuit Port to Orleans, although he resided at Yarmouth, where he married, November 11, 1849, Lucy, daughter of Captain John Eldridge. Dr. Shove's parents were Enoch and Desire (Cobb) Shove of Sandwich. On the occasion of his death the Barnstable District Medical Society recorded resolutions, including this : " The community in which his entire professional life was passed has experienced a loss well nigh irreparable, and will hold his name in grateful remembrance for his public spirit and enterprise, resulting in little pecuniary advantage to himself but in great good to the toiling and destitute."
Marshall E. Simmons, M.D., was born in Wareham, Mass., and graduated from Harvard Medical College about 1861. He entered the army as assistant surgeon of the Twenty-second Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteers, July 29, 1862, and was promoted to surgeon of the same regiment December 29, 1862. He resigned his commission the 27th of August, 1863, and practiced medicine in Chatham until February, 1870, when he left to reside in one of the Western states. He was twice married. His last wife, the only daughter of Captain George Eldredge of Chatham, he married August 4, 1869. He subsequently returned to Wareham, Mass., where died in May, 1874.
Dr. Thomas Smith, a physician and surgeon of Sandwich, son of Samuel and Bethiah Smith of that town, was born September 7, 1718, and studied medicine in Hingham. He was eminent in his profession. He visited the sick far and near. He had a family.
Dr. Thomas Starr was among the first comers to Yarmouth. He was not in sympathy with the first settlers, being regarded as rather latitudinarian in his principles, and was once fined for being what was regarded as " a scoffer and jeerer at religion." Justice compels the statement that this simply consisted in preferring another minister to Rev. Mr. Matthews, and giving his reasons therefor. He left town about 1650, there being insufficient practice of his profession for his support.
Dr. Ezra Stephenson practiced medicine at Marston's Mills from 1832 to 1838.
John Stetson, M.D., was born in Abington, Mass., and graduated from Dartmouth Medical College in 1850. In 1851 he commenced the practice of medicine in West Harwich, where he still resides.
William Stone, M.D., was a practicing physician at Wellfleet prior to 1843. His father, whose name he bore, was also a physician at Enfield, Mass. In locating at Wellfleet, William Stone succeeded Dr. James Townsend, who had been a physician there for a number of years. Subsequently he married Doctor Townsend's widow and removed to Harvard, Mass., where he died.
Thomas N. Stone, M.D., born in 1818, was a son of Dr. William Stone. He was a graduate (1840) of Bowdoin College and Dartmouth Medical School, from which he received his medical degree, October 24, 1843. He practiced in Wellfleet from the time he graduated until 1875, with the exception of two years in Truro. He removed from Wellfleet to Provincetown in 1875, where he died May 15, 1876. He was a very pleasing speaker and writer. He was a member of the school committee of Wellfleet nearly thirty years, representative in 1873, and state senator in 1874 and 1875. His first marriage was with Hannah D., daughter of William N. Atwood. Their two sons were William N. Stone, M.D., and Thomas N., deceased. His second wife was Nancy B., another daughter of William N. Atwood. Their two daughters, one Helen L. (Mrs. F. H. Crowell of Nebraska), and Anabel (widow of E. W. Snow).
William N. Stone, M.D., born in 1845 in Truro, is a son of Thomas N. Stone, M.D., and a grandson of William Stone, M.D. He attended Lawrence Academy two years and Wilbraham Academy one year, then took a four years' course at Harvard Medical College graduating in June, 1869. He began practice in Wellfleet in 1869 with his father, who retired six years later, leaving a large practice to the young doctor. He married Adeline Hamblin and has two children—Thomas N. and Adeline H.
Dr. Jeremiah Stone, son of Captain Shubael and Esther (Wildes) Stone, was born November 2, 1798, and was a prominent physician of Provincetown.
Dr. Alfred Swift, son of Thomas, was born in North Rochester, Mass., March 3, 1797; studied medicine with his brother in Vermont; came to Harwich first, and then removed to Dennis, about 1828, where he died July 27, 1875. His wife, Elizabeth Jane Gray of Martha's Vineyard, died September 9, 1871. He had an adopted son, Charles Haskell Swift, who married Mrs. Mary J. Brooks, daughter of Heman Baxter, and now lives in Dennis. Doctor Swift is best remembered for his kindness to the poor.
Dr. James Thacher, was born in Barnstable, February 14, 1754. He studied medicine with Dr. Abner Nersey, and entered the army as surgeon in 1775, serving seven and one-half years. At the close of the war he married Susanna Hayward of Bridgewater, and settled in the practice of medicine in Plymouth, where he died in May, 1844, in his
ninety-first year. He published several works, including his journal while in the revolutionary war.
Dr. Charles N. Thayer was born at Attleboro, Mass., in 1828. His childhood was passed in Mansfield, where his early education was received. His father, Simeon Thayer, was a soldier in the war of 1812. His grandfather, Isaac Fuller, served in the revolution, and he was a non-commissioned officer in Company I, Fourth Massachusetts, during the late rebellion. On the maternal side he traces his ancestry to the Doctor Fuller whose name is enrolled on the Puritans' monument at Plymouth, Mass. He resided for some time in Pembroke, Mass., where he was engaged in the lumber business, and represented that town in the legislature of 1855. He studied medicine with E. R. Sisson, M.D., of New Bedford, and attended lectures in Boston. In 1869 he opened an office in Falmouth, and established an extensive practice. In 1884, his health becoming impaired, part of his practice was dropped and a store was opened, with the management of which, in connection with his professional duties, he is now engaged.
Dr. Townsend was a physician of Orleans at the beginning of the present century. He had two children, Hannah and Julia, baptized at Orleans by Rev. Mr. Bascom, the former in 1801, the latter in 1803.
Henry Tuck, M.D., of Barnstable, was born February 16, 1808, and died June 24, 1845.
Alexander T. Walker, M.D., a practitioner of the alopathic school, was born in Canada, in 1844. He received his early education in Canada, and graduated from Dartmouth College, N. H., in 1869. Before entering Dartmouth he was in New York two years—one year in the College of Physicians and Surgeons, and one year in Bellevue Hospital Medical College. Since graduating he has attended lectures six seasons—two courses in Bellevue Medical College (one under Doctor Loomis, in the hospital), one course in Vermont University in Burlington, and two courses in the medical department of the University of the City of New York. In 1870 he located in Maine, but came to Falmouth in 1883, where he has since practiced.
James T. Walker, M.D., of Falmouth, born April 25, 1850, at Toronto, is the youngest of a family of six sons, three of whom are physicians and the others clergymen. He was educated in the Toronto city schools and at eighteen years of age graduated from the Provincial Normal School. Four years later he graduated from Queen's College, Toronto, at the head of the class of '72, and was chosen its valedictorian. In 1873 he came to Martha's Vineyard where he taught school and studied medicine three years. In 1876-7 he attended the Detroit Medical College and was two seasons at Burlington in the University of Vermont, where he was graduated in June, 1879, and
was again valedictorian of his class. His first practice was at Martha's Vineyard, whence in March, 1880, he came to Falmouth as successor to Dr. Lyman H. Luce. Here he married Evangeline G., daughter of I. H. Aiken.
James M. Watson, M.D., of Falmouth, was born at Sangerville, Me., January 16, 1860. He graduated in 1881 from Foxcroft Academy and in 1883 from Maine Central Institute at Pittsfield, Me. In March, 1886, he received his degree from the medical department of the University of the City of New York, also a course in Bellevue Hospital (under Prof. William N. Thompson), and has since practiced in Falmouth. In April, 1890, he graduated from the Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital of New York. He is a registered pharmacist and a member of the state board of pharmacy.
George E. White, M.D., was born in 1849 in Skowhegan, Me., and was educated in the schools of Skowhegan and in the Eaton Family and Day School. From 1868 to 1877 he was in business in Boston. In 1877, he entered the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia, from which he graduated in 1880, opening a practice in Sandwich the same year, where he has been since that time. He is a member of Dewitt Clinton Lodge, A. F. and A. M., of which he was master in 1884 and 1885, and again in 1889.
Dr. Jonas Whitman, an early physician of Barnstable, was born in 1749, graduate of Yale in 1772, and died July 30, 1824. His father, Zachariah, was a son of Ebenezer, whose father Thomas, was a son of Deacon John Whitman of Weymouth. He had three sons: John, a graduate of Harvard in 1805 ; Josiah, M.D., at Harvard in 1816; and Cyrus Whitman.
Timothy Wilson, M.D., was born in Shapleigh, Me., July 27, 1811, and died in Orleans, Mass., July 18, 1887. His education was obtained in the public schools of his native town, and at the academy in Alfred, Me. He began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. William Lewis of Shapleigh, afterward attending the medical departments of Dartmouth and Bowdoin Colleges, graduating from the latter in 1840. He settled in Ossipee, N. H., but was forced to leave on account of the long, severe winters, and look for a more congenial climate, the result of which, was his settling in Orleans in the summer of 1848, where he continued in active practice until failing health forced him to abandon it about one year preceding his death. He always took a lively interest in matters pertaining to education. In early life he took an active part in politics, being a strong anti-slavery whig, until the formation of the republican party, with which he ever after acted.
Besides these physicians already mentioned in this chapter, are others concerning whom no information has been obtained save the fact that they at some time practiced medicine in the county. Concerning-
some of them, traditions might be given , but nothing sufficiently authentic to merit a place here. The apocryphal names are: James Ayer, N. Barrows, J. W. Baxter, John Batchelder, Jonathan Bemis, Jonathan Berry, John E. Bruce, W. F. S. Brackett, J. W. Clift, J. W. Crocker, Bart. Cushman, N. B. Danforth, D. W. Davis, D. Dimmock, Daniel Doane, J. B. Everett, Benjamin Fearing, J. B. Forsyth, C. A. Goldsmith, John Harper, J. L. Lothrop, Ivory H. Lucas, J. W. Nickerson, John M. Smith, W. O. G. Springer, Henry Willard, Bennett Wing, and Edward Wooster.
By chapter 26 of the Public Statutes of Massachusetts, Barnstable county was divided into three medical districts, in each of which an "able and discreet man learned in the science of medicine shall be appointed, whose term of office shall be seven years." District 1, embraces the towns of Harwich, Dennis, Yarmouth, Brewster, Chatham, Orleans and Eastham; district 2, Barnstable, Bourne, Sandwich, Mashpee and Falmouth; district 3, Provincetown, Truro and Wellfleet. The medical examiners now in office are: Drs. George N. Munsell of Harwich, Franklin W. Pierce of Barnstable, and Willis W. Gleason of Provincetown.