Bourne Massachusetts, 1890

Bourne occupies the northwest extremity of Cape Cod and Barnstable County, and is about 56 miles from Boston, on the Old Colony Railroad. The stations are Buzzard's Bay, Bourne and Bournedale, on the main line, and Monument Beach, Pocasset, Wenaumet, Cataumet, and Sagamore on the Woods Holl Branch. All these are post-offices except Wenaumet.

The town is bounded on the north by Wareham and Plymouth, on the east by Cape Cod Bay and Sandwich, south by Falmouth, and west by various bodies of water forming the eastern extremity of Buzzard's Bay. The harbors are Buttermilk Bay, Red Brook Harbor, Cataumet Harbor, and Back River Harbor. The last is near on the south of Monument River, and forms the western terminus of Cape Cod Canal. Wenaumet Neck, on which there is a lighthouse, projects southwesterly into Buzzard's Bay, having Bassett's and Scraggy Neck islands on the south and Burgess or Tobey's Island on the north. The town is 11 miles long by 5 wide. The assessed area is 23,472 acres, including 11,621 acres of woodland. The latter occupies the larger portion of the eastern side of the town, and is chiefly in oak and pine. It is the habitat of numerous red deer.

The geological formation is drift and alluvium. The land is generally level, a group of three hills near the centre, and Pine Hill in the southeast part, being the chief eminences. The soil varies in different localities from clay to loam and sand. There are several small ponds: Manomet Lake, and Ellis, Queensewel, Deep Bottom, Mill, and Flax ponds, two more at South Pocasset, and others in the wilderness at the southeast.

The number of farms is 71; and their total marketed product in 1885 was $71,159. The dairies furnished $6,178 ; the poultry yards, $3,082; and the cranberry bogs and orchards, $49,462. There are 270 acres devoted to cranberries, valued at $67,572. At Sagamore is a car shop; at Bournedale an iron foundery and axe shop, and at Pocasset the Tahanto Art Works, making metallic goods in ornamental forms. The aggregate of these manufactures in the same year was $69,337. A considerable number of the inhabitants are engaged in the fisheries ; the commercial catch in 1885 being valued at $24,418. The oyster beds yielded $18,922 of this amount.

The shore fishing is very good here, and bluefish and bass are plenty in the bay. From the prevalence of southwest winds and the shallowness of the water on the eastern side of Buzzard's Bay, its temperature is unusually agreeable; and this, with the good beaches, has made them favorites with sea-bathers. The town is a favorite -summer resort, and there are numerous fine residences. The valuation of the town for 1888 was $1,077,400; and the tax $12 on $1,000. The population is 1,363, with 495 dwellings.

Bourne has graded schools, occupying nine buildings valued at about $9,000. The Baptists have a church at Pocasset, and the Methodists one at Bourne and another at Sagamore.

Bourne embraces the northern end and the western side of Sandwich, from which it was taken; the act of incorporation having the date of April 2, 1884, The name was chosen in honor of Hon. Jonathan Bourne, an aged and esteemed citizen of New Bedford, whose name had long been attached to a hill in Sandwich, as well as to a neck of land in Wareham. This gentleman was born in Bourne, near the present village of Bourne (then Monument Village and a part of Sandwich), on March 25, 1811. He was the son of a farmer; but went to New Bedford when 18 years of age, and hired in a grocery store; and from that arose in fortune and esteem. At one time his investments in the whaling business were larger than those of any other person. He served the Commonwealth in an official capacity in the legislature and as a member of the Governor's Council. He died in New Bedford, August 7, 1889.

Eminent among former citizens may be named Benjamin Burgess, Isaac Keith, Rev. S. W. Coggeshall, D.D., Heman Swift and Ebenezer Nye.

pp. 189-191 in Nason and Varney's Gazetteer, 1890

 
Barnstable county 1890, Gazetteer 1890