Boylston Massachusetts, 1890
Boylston is an agricultural town in the eastern part of Worcester County, about forty miles west of Boston, on the Central Massachusetts Railroad. There are stations at Boylston (Sawyer's Mills) and West Boylston The post-offices are the first and Boylston Centre; which, with Straw Hollow, are also the villages. It is bounded on the north by Sterling and Clinton, east by Berlin and Northborough, south by Shrewsbury, and west by West Boylston. The land is elevated and broken, yet of good quality.
Merrimack schist and calcareous gneiss constitute the geological formation. There is much clay suitable for bricks. Iron ore, good building stone and crystallized quartz, are found. The location of the quartz is Diamond Hill, near the centre. In the southern part of the town is Sewell's Pond, with a feeder coming from the East Woods, noted for rattlesnakes. In the eastern part of the town is Rocky Pond, of eighty-six acres, with bottom full of bowlders, and a pretty island near the centre. Its outlet is Cold-Water Brook, in Northborough. The southern branch of the Nashua River flows through the northwest section of the town, affording power for manufacturing purposes. Along its course are rich intervale lands. There are 127 farms, whose aggregate product, in 1885, was $127,437. The area of the town is 12,243 acres, of which 3,173 acres are woodland. At Straw Hollow there is a fine large creamery. There is a cotton yarn factory at Sawyer's Mills. Muddy Brook (formerly called Meddegaskee), a tributary of the South Branch, furnishes power for a saw mill and a grist mill. The value of the manufactures for the period mentioned was $10,339. The valuation, in 1885, was $523,573, and the tax-rate $15 on $1,000. The population is 834, and the number of dwellings 172. There is a good town-hall, of granite, a Congregational church at the centre, and a Roman Catholic church at Sawyer's Mills. The town has six school-houses, valued at $6,600. There is a town public library, containing about 2,000 volumes, and one or more Sunday-school libraries. The climate is salubrious, and its people have been noted for longevity. The number of soldiers furnished by the town for the late war was 41, of whom seven were lost.
Boylston was named in honor of the family of that name in Boston. The territory was taken from Shrewsbury, and was incorporated in 1786. In 1806 parts of Boylston, Holden and Sterling were established as West Boylston; and again, in 1820, part of Boylston was annexed to West Boylston A church was organized here October 6, 1743; and in the same month the Rev. Ebenezer Morse was ordained as pastor. He was dismissed in 1775 for opposition to the war with England. A leading physician of the town for forty years, and a native, was John Andrew, M.D., who died in 1872. The noted John B. Gough resided in this town.
p. 193 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890