Carlisle Massachustts, 1890
Carlisle is a small farming town of 130 dwelling-houses and 526 inhabitants, situated in the central part of Middlesex County, about 20 miles northwest of Boston. Carlisle station, on the Lowell Branch of the Old Colony Railroad, is in the northwest part of the town; and Bedford Station on the Boston and Lowell Railroad, accommodates the southeast portion. The post-office is at the centre.
The general form of the town is oval. Chelmsford bounds it on the north, Billerica on the northeast, Bedford on the southeast, Oxford on the south, and Acton and Westford on the west. The assessed area is 9,571 acres. The principal settlement is at the centre, and consists of two churches (Congregational and Unitarian), a town-hall, school-house, stores, mechanics' shops, and a few dwelling-houses. Farm-houses are scattered sparsely over the remainder of the territory.
The western part is somewhat hilly, but without high elevation. The geological structure is calcareous gneiss, in which tourmaline, garnet, scapolite and actinolite occur. Bowlders are plentiful all over the town. The northern section is drained by River-meadow Brook, which has some motive power; and the eastern by a small tributary of the Concord River, on which there is a saw mill.
The manufactures are chiefly sawed hoops; for which there are two factories, employing eight men. The aggregate value of manufactured products in 1885 was $7,700. There are 4,739 acres of woodland, the growth of which is principally pine (hard and soft), oak and birch, with some maple and chestnut. Fruit trees are grown in the town to the number of 9,025. The farms number 97; and their aggregate product in 1885 was $84,834. The valuation of the town in 1888 was $404,523, with a tax-rate of $15 on $1,000. There are five school-houses, valued at about $3,000. The public library contains about 500 volumes; and there are two Sunday-school libraries.
Carlisle furnished 85 soldiers for our armies in the late war, of whom 49 were citizens. The loss was about twelve; and to the memory of these has been erected, in the centre, a monument of granite surmounted by a marble statue of the goddess of liberty.
This town was formed of parts of Acton, Billerica, Chelmsford and Concord. Its first incorporation was as a district, April 28, 1780; the next as a town, on February 18, 1805. Carlisle, in England, a well-known town, was remembered in the name. The first church was erected in 1783. The Rev. Paul Litchfield, settled November 7, 1781, was the first minister.
Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890, pp. 222-223