Goshen Massachusetts, 1890
Goshen is a small farming town in the northwest part of Hampshire County, having Ashfield on the north, Williamsburg on the east, Chesterfield by a serrated line on the south, and the same and Cummington on the west. The land is mountainous and broken. More's Hill, in the northeast angle, has a altitude of 1,713 feet. The town is rich in minerals, having a fine granite quarry, and furnishing specimens more or less abundant of tin ore, galena, graphite, granite, spodumene, blue and green tourmaline, smoky quartz, beryl, zoisite, mica, albite, and columbite. It is a delightful field for the mineralogist. Mill and Rogers' brooks flow around a beautiful eminence in the easterly part of the own, and thence into Mill River. Stone's Brook, which glides through Lily Pond, and Swift River, running through the westerly part of the town, are affluents of Westfield River. The otter, mink, ox and raccoon are common here; and the Canada lynx sometimes makes the town a visit. Grouse are very numerous, and trout are abundant.
The town has 68 farms, including 10,271 acres; and the people are engaged in raising neat cattle, sheep, corn, potatoes, oats, hay, fruit and tobacco, and in preparing wood and lumber for market. Honey and maple-sugar should be named among the valuable productions. The aggregate products of the town in 1885 were $59,688. The town has two saw mills, one post-office, a good town-hall, four school-houses, one Adventist church and a Congregational church organized December 21, 1780. Twenty-four soldiers, of whom seven lost their lives, went from this town to the late war.
Goshen was named from an old Hebrew town, the term meaning "approaching." It was incorporated May 14, 1781. The valuation in 1888 was $134,133, with a tax-rate of $17 on $1,000. The dwelling-houses numbered 74; there were 96 voters; and the entire population was 336. Williamsburg, five miles southeast, on the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad, is the nearest station.
Nason's Gazetteer, 1890, p.334