Granville Massachusetts, 1890
Granville is a large mountainous town in the southwestern part of Hampden County, about 115 miles southwest of Boston. It has Blandford, Russell and Westfield on the north, the last and Southwick on the east, Tolland on the west, and Granby and Hartland, in Connecticut, on the south. The area is upwards of 25,500 acres,— 23,772 acres being assessed. There are 8,561 acres of woodland.
A hill called "Great Rock," west of East Granville village, and near the centre of the town, is a picturesque object in the landscape; Mitchell's Mountain, a mile or two south, rises to the height of 1,362 feet; and Bad Luck Mountain, South Mountain and Prospect Hill are also notable eminences, adding to the variety and grandeur of the scenery. There are two large ponds in the northwest, and smaller ones in the eastern part of the town. Tillison's and Dickinson's brooks flow easterly from the central part of the town, and Hubbard's River and Valley Brook, in the western and middle sections, now southward, affording valuable water-power. In the valleys the land is fertile, and the hillsides furnish excellent pasturage. The wood product is large, being, in the last census year, $17,767. The yield of fruits, berries and nuts was also large, reaching $13,924. There are upwards of 25,627 fruit trees. The farms number 219; and their aggregate product was $155,999. Four saw mills find employment; and there is one grain mill; but the most important manufacture is that of drums, which employs about 50 persons. Other manufactures are children's toys and games, leather, whips, powder kegs and certain machinery,—amounting in the aggregate to $106,463. There are 255 dwelling-houses. The valuation in 1888 was $360,746, with a tax-rate of $22 on $1,000. The population is 1,193, of whom 339 are voters.
Granville, South Granville, West Granville and Granville Corner are the villages, the first three being post-offices. Westfield and Southwick centres are the nearest railroad stations.
This town has nine school buildings, valued at about $7, 000. There are a good public hall and four churches. Of the latter, two are Congregationalist, one is Baptist and one Methodist. Granville sent 135 soldiers into the armies of the Union in the late war. There were, in 1885, 27 residents of the town over 80, 5 over 90, and one over 100 years of age.
This township was sold by Toto, an Indian chief, to James Cornish, in 1686, for a gun and sixteen brass buttons. It was first settled in 1738; and in 1751 it had 70 families. A church was formed at East Granville (still the largest village) in 1747, when the Rev. Moses Tuttle was ordained pastor. In 1756 he was succeeded by the Rev. Jedediah Smith, whose family founded a settlement in Louisiana. The place first existed in the civil system as the plantation of Bedford. On January 25, 1754, it was established as the district of Granville, and on August 23, 1775, was incorporated as the town of Granville. In 1810, a part of its territory was established as the town of Tolland. It was named in honor of John Carteret, Earl of Granville. A church at Granville, Ohio, was founded by emigrants from this place. Isaac C. Bates (1780-1845), an able lawyer and United States senator, was a native of this town.
pp. 339-340 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890