Greenwich Massachusetts, 1890
Greenwich is a narrow town occupying a long space on the eastern side of Hampshire County, and near its north line. It is about 73 miles west of Boston. On its north is Prescott; Dana and Hardwick bound it on the east, Enfield on the south, and the latter and Prescott on the west. The assessed area is 11,323 acres; of which 4,290 are woodland. The villages are Greenwich and Greenwich Village. The Athol and Springfield Railroad runs north and south through. the town.
The East and Middle branches of Swift River drain the middle and northern parts, furnishing some motive power. Except in the valley of these streams, and of another small branch at the southwest, the town is quite hilly. Mount Lizzie, south of Greenwich (centre), is the most noted eminence. The scenery is diversified by small ponds in all quarters of the town, the largest of which are Curtis, Davis and Flask. The atmosphere is healthful and the people industrious. The land is elevated, rocky, and difficult of cultivation; yet the soil is fertile, and good crops of hay and grain are produced.
The aggregate product of the 77 farms, in the last census year was $62,441. There are two saw mills, a factory making brooms and one for wood and iron goods, the value of the aggregate products being $28,473. The valuation in 1888 was $265,161, with a tax-rate of $13 on $1,000. The inhabitants number 532, and are sheltered in 145 dwelling-houses. There are 152 legal voters.
The town has seven school buildings valued at some $2,000. There are a Congregational church here, and a good Sunday school, which has a library of about 400 volumes. Greenwich sent twelve soldiers into the war for the Union, of whom three were lost by sickness.
The Indian name of this place was Quabin. It was settled by immigrants from the north of Ireland; and these in 1749 organized a church, which still continues. The Rev. Pelatiah Webster was the first pastor. The plantation of Quabin was established as the town of Greenwich on April 20, 1754.
General Amiel W. Whipple was born here in 1817, and died from wounds received at the battle of Chancellorsville, May 7, 1863.
Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890, pp. 344-345