Hubbardston Massachusetts, 1890
Hubbardston lies on the highlands on the west side of Wachusett Mountain, and nearly in the centre of the northern half of Worcester County, 64 miles from Boston. The Worcester Branch of the Fitchburg Railroad has a station at East Hubbardston, and the Ware River Railroad has one at Williamsville, in the western part of the town; these places, with Hubbardston (centre), being the villages and post-offices.
In form this town is nearly a square, all its boundaries being straight lines except an intrusion of Princeton where the eastern angle should be. Gardner and Westminster lie on the northeast side, Princeton and Rutland on the southeast, Barre on the southwest, and Phillipston and Templeton on the northwest. The area is very nearly 36 square miles. The assessed land is 25,001 acres. There are 9,300 acres of forest; while many farms additional are now given up to a young growth. Pine, hemlock, birch, maple, beech and chestnut are the woods that predominate. Along the village streets, also, are numerous shade trees, elm, horse-chest nut and ash. There are several ponds, the largest being Comet (Asnaconcomic) Pond, of 220 acres, and having an elevation of 910 feet; and Moose Horn Pond, containing 130 acres, at 980 feet above sea-level. The latter is remarkable for its encompassing wall of stone. Burntshirt, Natty and Canesto brooks flow southward through the town, finally joining Ware River, which flows down through the centre. These furnish motive power for several lumber and box mills, a chair factory, satinet mill, and other smaller establishments. The value of furniture made in the last census year was $35,383.
The geological structure of the town is calcareous gneiss, with lolerite in two or three localities. There is also, near the edge of Templeton, on the northwest, a valuable deposit of copperas. The soil is a clay loam on the hills, and gravelly loam in the valleys. The farms number 233. The value of their product is given in 1885 as $172,726. The population was 1,303, of whom 381 were legal voters; and the dwelling-houses numbered 340. The valuation in 1888 was $699,965; with a tax-rate of $16 on $1,000.
Hubbardston has nine school buildings, valued with appurtenances at about $15,000. The public library contains some 5,000 volumes. The library building is of brick, three stories in height; and contains also the post-office and rooms for town officers. Jonas G. Clark, of Worcester, a native of Hubbardston, erected the building in 1875, and recently presented it to the town. Another well-known native is Ethan A. Greenwood, the founder of the Boston Museum.
The "Monthly Advertiser " is the periodical of the town. The three churches are Congregationalist, Unitarian and Episcopal. Hubbardston furnished 150 soldiers for the Union armies in the late war, and lost 47. A handsome monument of Vermont marble in cottage style has been erected to their memory.
This town was taken from Rutland and established as the district of Hubbardston on June 13, 1767. It was made a town by the General Act of August 23, 1775, being named in honor of Thomas Hubbard, of Boston. A part of it was annexed to Princeton in 1810. The first minister of the town was the Rev. Nehemiah Parker, ordained June 13, 1770.
Nason's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890, pp.387-388