Leverett Massachusetts, 1890
Leverett is a mountainous town in the southeastern part of Franklin County, 106 miles west of Boston. The township has the form of a rhombus. Montague lies on the north, Wendell on the northeast angle, Shutesbury on the east, the latter and Amherst on the south, and Sunderland on the west.
The assessed area is 12,999 acres, which includes 7,032 acres of woodland. There is also a considerable area of waste land. The wild cat and wild turkey were found here until a recent period. There are several tracts of level or undulating land in the north of the town, but in other parts such surfaces have only a narrow space along the streams. Yet there are no very high elevations. Among its minerals are found galena, heavy spar, blende and copper pyrites.
Sawmill River, rising in the next town east, flows through the northern part of Leverett, receiving affluents, and pursuing a tortuous course to the Connecticut. It furnishes power for several saw and grist mills. Cranberry River and Plain Brook rise in the northwest; the first running west, the latter south. The north branch of Mill River rises in the north part and flows south through the midst of the town, receiving at the border Roaring Brook from the southeast part. The latter has a beautiful cascade, and supplies the power for two or more saw mills.
The manufactures consist of lumber, wooden boxes, agricultural implements, charcoal, kindlings and food preparations. The value of the goods made in the last census year was $88,787. The product of the 129 farms was valued at $108,573. The dwelling-houses numbered 181; the inhabitants 779; and the legal voters 227. The valuation of the town in 1888 was $289,775, with a tax-rate of $15.60 on $1,000.
The Central Vermont Railroad passes near Leverett centre. This and North Leverett are the post-offices; and other villages are Dudleyville, Slab City, East Leverett and South Leverett. The town has six school buildings, valued at about $3,000. The Baptists have a church at North Leverett and the Congregationalists one at the centre. A church was organized here in 1734, of which the Rev. Henry Williams became pastor.
The territory of this town was taken from Sunderland (of which it formed the eastern part) and incorporated on March 5, 1774. It was named in honor of John Leverett, president of Harvard College.
pp. 413-414 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890