Lincoln Massachusetts, 1890
Lincoln is an exclusively agricultural town occupying an elevated and central position in Middlesex County, 16 miles west by northwest of Boston, by the Fitchburg Railroad, which has a station one and a half miles south of the centre. Bedford lies on the north; Lexington and Waltham on the east; Weston and Wayland on the south; Sudbury extends from the west angle; and Concord bounds the full length of the town on its northwest.
The assessed area is 8,973 acres. Included in this are 3,581 acres of woodland, containing the New England trees and shrubs, in unusual thrift and variety. Slightly south of the village of Lincoln centre is an extensive elevation whose highest point is about 470 feet above the sea. In other parts are isolated hills, while the western border is generally elevated. Partly between these hills, northwest of the centre, is Sandy Pond (or Forest Lake), covering 152 acres, and some 200 feet above the tide. Stony Brook, its outlet, flowing southeast, forms Beaver Pond, which sends its stream to the Charles. Shawsheen River issues from a small pond near the northern border; while Charles River, with Fairhaven Bay, forms the southern part of the town on the west. On the eastern side is Hobbs Brook, furnishing power for a small saw and grist mill. Near the summit of a hill which rises from this brook is a cave which has attracted considerable attention. The bed-rock of the township is sienite. The soil is generally good, being chiefly a clayey gravel.
In the last census year there were raised in this town 123,072 quarts of strawberries and 167 barrels of cranberries. The number of fruit trees is large. The aggregate product of the 117 farms was valued at $226,882. The number of dwelling-houses was 170; the population 901; and the legal voters 193. The valuation in 1888 was $1,630,277, with a tax-rate of $6.20 on $1,000.
For many years there has been here a high school of some note. The public library has upward of 3,000 volumes, and its reading-room is provided with the leading magazines. The building is unique, pretty and very convenient. It stands, with the town-house, the Congregationalist and the Unitarian churches, in the centre, — a pleasant village with many large elm, maple, and ash trees. The roads generally are very good. From its elevation, excellent natural drainage, pure water, and abundant vegetation, there results excellent conditions for the invalid, as well as for the healthy; and not a few of the inhabitants definitely regard the town as the future "West End" of Boston.
This town was formed of parts of Concord, Lexington and Weston, and incorporated April 19, 1754. It was named by Chambers Russell, Esq., whose ancestors were from Lincolnshire in England. The first minister was the Rev. William Lawrence, who was settled in 1748. An Episcopal church has recently been established in the south part of the town.
Seven of the British soldiers were killed in Lincoln on their march to Concord, April 19, 1775; and are buried in the cemetery of the town.
Among the eminent sons of Lincoln may be named Samuel Hoar, LL.D. (1778-1856), a distinguished lawyer; John Farrar, LL.D; (1779-1853), a notable mathematician and philosopher.
pp. 418-419 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890