Longmeadow Massachusetts, 1890
Longmeadow is a fine farming town in the southern part of Hampden County, about 102 miles southwest of Boston. It lies on the east shore of Connecticut River, which separates it from Agawam. Springfield bounds it on the north, Hampden on the east, and Somers and Enfield, in Connecticut, on the south. The assessed area is 13,570 acres; in which are included 4,082 acres of woodland. There is little hilliness except in the eastern section, where the bed-rock is red sandstone. From the quarries here are taken large quantities of what is known as the " Longmeadow red freestone." In 1885, more than 200 men were employed in quarrying and dressing the stone. East Longmeadow, the village and post-office in this section, is on the Hartford and Springfield Branch of the New England Railroad. On the upland, parallel to the river, in the western part, is a broad street numerously occupied by dwellings. The southern cluster is Longmeadow post-office and village, and the northern is West Longmeadow village and a station on the Connecticut River Railroad. This street for several miles is beautifully shaded by elms, maples and other ornamental trees, and between it and the river extends a smooth and fertile meadow, The town has 159 farms, whose product in the last census year was valued at $193,729. The principal streams are Pecowsic, in the northern part, and Longmeadow Brook, in the southern, both flowing into the Connecticut River; the first gathering among the hills in the east, and the latter having its source in a marsh near the centre of the town. Both furnish power for saw and grist mills. Building-stone, some lumber and food preparations, and iron and metallic work are the manufactured products; the last item having the value of $18,863. The value of the aggregate product was $98,515. The valuation of the town in 1888 was $1,067,462, — with a tax-rate of $12.50 on $1,000. The number of dwellings was 370; the population 1,677; and the legal voters were 377. There are a handsome town-hall of the native brownstone and ten school buildings valued at some $15,000. There are two Congregational churches, and one each of the Methodists, Baptists and Roman Catholics.
This township was formerly a part of Springfield, but was set apart and incorporated October 13, 1783. It took its name from the beautiful meadow which extends along the Connecticut River nearly across the town. Its Indian name was Masacsick. Longmeadow sent 100 men into the Union armies during the late war; 20 of them losing their lives in consequence.
pp. 420-421 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890