Lunenburg Massachusetts, 1890
Lunenburg is a pleasant farming town in the northeastern corner of Worcester County, 42 miles from Boston. The Fitchburg Railroad has a station in the south part of the town, and a daily coach connects the centre with Fitchburg Depot. The town is bounded on the north by Townsend, on the east by Shirley, on the south by Lancaster and Leominster, and on the west by Fitchburg.
The assessed area is 15,940 acres, but the entire extent is about 30 square miles. There are some 7,800 acres of forest, consisting mostly of oak, chestnut and pine. Nichols Hill in the south, Robbs in the east, and Hunting Hill in the northeast, are the chief elevations. There is a large pond in the southeast and two smaller ones at the west of it. The principal streams are Malpus Brook in the north, Pearl Hill Brook in the west, and the streams connecting the ponds,— all tributaries of the Nashua, which forms in the adjoining town south. On these are several saw and grain mills. The outcropping rocks are granite and slate, chiefly. The soil is clayey, and quite fertile.
The product of the 214 farms in 1885 had the value of $198,488. Strawberries were raised to the quantity of 47,078 quarts, — worth $4,275. The chief manufactures are lumber in various forms, coopers' ware, and food preparations; the last amounting to $102,418, The aggregate value of goods made was $196,053. The dwellings number 292; the inhabitants 1,071; and the legal voters 327. The valuation in 1888 was $678,732, with a tax-rate of $14.50 on $1,000.
The principal village is at the centre, where there is a fine town-hall. There are also several handsome dwellings in modern style; the hotel being of the Queen Anne order. The two churches are good examples of the old village style; the denominations being Congregationalist and Methodist. The schools occupy eight buildings valued at about $5,000. The town library contains some 2,500 volumes.
The town of Lunenburg was originally the southern portion of the "Turkey Hills" region, and was incorporated August 1, 1728. The name was chosen in compliment to King George Second, one of his hereditary titles being " Duke of Lunenburg." The township then included Fitchburg, which was set off in 1764. The first church was organized and the Rev. Andrew Gardner settled over it, May 15, 1728.
Two soldiers stationed here in 1749 were killed by the Indians, and the family of Mr. John F. Fitch was captured. During the late civil war the town sent 167 men into the Union armies, of whom 33 were lost. Their public memorial is a marble tablet bearing their names, in the town-hall.
Among eminent natives of this town were Asahel Stearns, LL.D. (1764-1839), M.C., and professor of law in Harvard University; and Luther Stearns Cushing (1803-1856), editor and jurist.
pp. 429-430 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890