Lynnfield Massachusetts, 1890
Lynnfield lies in the southeasterly section of Essex County, 13 miles north of Boston, on. the old Boston and Newburyport turnpike. For railroads, it has the Salem and Lowell line, running along the valley of the Ipswich River, which forms its north line; the Newburyport line, through Lynnfield Centre; and the Wakefield and Peabody line through South Lynnfield, — all branches of the Boston and Maine Railroad system. North Reading bounds it on the north, Peabody on the east, Lynn, Saugus and Wake-field on the south, and Reading and North Reading on the west. The assessed area is 5,932 acres. More than one third is woodland, containing oak, maple and birch, with a large proportion of white pine. On the shores of Pilling's or Westerly Pond still stands the "forest primeval." The outlet of this pond furnished the power for the old Adam Hawkes Woollen Mill. Southeast of this is Suntaug Lake, of 200 acres, on the Peabody line, a beautiful sheet of water. Will's Brook flows north into the Ipswich River, and Beaver Brook south into the Saugus River, which forms most of the southern and southwestern line. In the northern part are Pine and two other considerable hills. The principal rock is sienite, which is quarried to some extent for building purposes. Peat is found 15 feet in depth in some of the meadows. The land is broken and uneven, yet generally productive. The number of farms is 46, and their aggregate product in 1885 was $91,166. The manufactories consist of one lumber mill and the, Gerry Cider Mill; the latter sending into the various cities thousands of barrels of cider and, vinegar annually. The aggregate of manufactured products in the last census year was $146,229. The number of dwelling-houses is 170. The valuation in 1888 was $557,492, with a tax-rate of $9.25 on $1,000. The population was 766, and the legal voters number 180, The post-offices are Lynnfield and Lynnfield Centre. South Lynnfield is the other village.
There are three school buildings, occupied by primary and grammar schools, and valued at some $5,000. Two Sunday-school libraries have 1,277 volumes.
This town was originally a part of Lynn, and. bore the name of "Lynn End." It was set off as a parish in 1712, and a meetinghouse built in 1715. The Rev. Nathaniel Sparhawk, the first minister, was settled in 1720. The parish was established as a district in. 1782, and incorporated as a town February 28, 1814. The chairman of the selectmen, writing in 1888, says, "The genuine Puritan meeting-house is still standing on the green at the centre, and the lower part is still used as a town-hall." In this church, in the early period, the seats were assigned in town meeting. There is now a Congregational church at South Lynnfield, established in 1854; there are also in the town a Unitarian and a Methodist church.
p. 433 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890