Maynard Massachusetts, 1890
Maynard is a thrifty manufacturing town situated in the western part of Middlesex County, 27 miles from Boston. It is bounded on the northeast by Acton and Concord, on the southeast by Sudbury, on the southwest by Stow, and on the northwest by the latter and Acton. The assessed area is 3,050 acres; and there are included about 1,270 acres of woodland.
The Assabet River flows northeastward through the town, furnishing a valuable power at Maynard village, which occupies the central part of the town. Its lots are spacious, and the streets well shaded with handsome maples. The post-office for the town is located here. The Marlboro Branch of the Fitchburg Railroad gives connection with other towns and roads north and south. The Assabet Manufacturing Company's woollen mill employs some 875 persons, and is the principal industry of the place. Twenty-two persons were in 1885 employed in the powder-mill. The various food preparations amounted to $62,820. Other manufactures were iron and other metallic work, lumber, furniture, carriages and leather. There were 47 farms, whose product in the year 1885, reported in the last State census, aggregated in the sum of $65,171. The number of dwelling-houses was 535; the population 2,703 of whom 492 were legal voters. The valuation in 1888 was $l,959,396, with a tax-rate of $9 on $1,000.
The schools are graded from primary to high, and occupy 4 buildings valued at some $20,000. There is a free public library of about 3,000 volumes; an association library has a smaller number; and three Sunday schools are well supplied. The "Maynard Journal " is the weekly newspaper for the town. The Methodists, Congregationalists and the Roman Catholics each have a church edifice here.
The locality of Maynard was long known as "Assabet Village," which, with the surrounding rural parts, was taken from the towns of Stow and Sudbury, and incorporated, April 19, 1871. It was named from the Maynards, citizens of the place, to whose excellent management is due the prosperity of the town.
pp. 448-449 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890