Millis Massachusetts, 1890
Millis, situated on the west side of the Charles River and on the northwestern side of Norfolk County, is a new and very pleasant town, mainly agricultural in its pursuits. The Woonsocket Division of the New York and New England Railroad passes through the midst of the town, having a very attractive station at the centre village — Millis,— 23 miles from Boston. The other village is Rockville, on the Charles River in the southern part of the town. Millis is bounded on the north by Sherborn, on the east by Medfield, on the southeast and south by Norfolk, and on the west by Medway. The assessed area is 7,000 acres; including 2,312 acres of woodland. The surface for the most part is gently undulating. In the south, cast and north are groups of small hills. Boggistere Brook enters the town at the northwest, and, forming two ponds and marking the form of three oxbows in its course, it unites with the Charles River at the northeast corner. One of these is South End Pond, lying near the Charles. Near its western shore are to be seen the remains of fortifications erected during King Philip's War. The Charles River forms the boundary line for the entire eastern and part of the southern sides of the town; and at Rockville furnishes a fine power, which is only partially utilized. There were, according to the last State census, 59 farms, whose aggregate product in 1885 had the value of $87,470. Cranberries, apples and strawberries are largely cultivated. The extensive and somewhat famous " Oak Grove Farm" is in this town. There are here a canning factory, an organ pipe factory, a church organ factory of long-established reputation, a carriage factory, a broom and brush factory, and several smaller establishments. The value of the aggregate product in the year mentioned was $40,646. The valuation of the town in 1888 was $467,955, with a tax-rate of $11 on $1,000. The number of assessed dwelling-houses was 171; and the legal voters numbered 167. There is an excellent high school, with the lower grades. The papers published here are the " Advance" and the "Observer." A well-equipped free public library, located in suitable apartments, has been given to the town by the Millis family, who are resident here.
This town was formed from the eastern part of the town of Medway, and incorporated February 24, 1885. The water and air are excellent, and the town is regarded as unusually favorable to health. The central village is noted for its quiet and home-like aspect.
pp. 467-468 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890