Massachusetts in 1890:
villages, rivers, hills and mountains, bays, lakes and ponds etc.
return to home page, county list, city & town list, Massachusetts Gazetteer
[original title page]
CITIES, TOWNS AND VILLAGES,
ALSO, THE PRINCIPAL
MOUNTAINS, RIVERS, PONDS, BAYS, CAPES AND ISLANDS
* For a list of the cities, see article on Civil Divisions, etc., on page 26. Shire towns arid cities are indicated by capitals for the entire name.
alphabetical section anchors:
A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, Z
Abbot Village, in Andover, — which consult.
Acoaxet, a village in Westport.
Acre, a village in Clinton.
Adam's Corners, in Northbridge.
Adamsdale, in Attleborough.
Adamsville, a village in Colrain.
Ætna Mills, a village in Watertown.
Albeeville, a village in Mendon
Allendale, a village in Pittsfield.
Allerton Point, the northeastern extremity of Hull.
Allston, a railroad station and village in the Brighton District, Boston.
Angier's Corner, a village in Newton.
Annisquam, a harbor and a village in Gloucester.
Annursnack Hill, in Concord, 370 feet in height.
Apponegansett, a village in Dartmouth.
Aquashenet, a village in Mashpee.
Argilla, a village in Ipswich.
Arlington District, a village in Lawrence,
Arnoldsville, in Adams.
Arrowhead, a village in Pittsfield.
Arsenal Village, in Watertown.
Artichoke, a village in Newburyport
Asbury Grove, a village in Hamilton.
Ashdod, a village in Duxbury.
Ashley Falls, a village in Sheffield.
Ashley Falls, a village in Sheffield.
Ashleyville, a village in West Springfield.
Asnybumsket Hill, in Paxton, 1407 feet in height.
Asnyconic Pond, in Hubbardston.
Assabet River, in the western part of Middlesex County, joins the Concord River in the town of Concord.
Assinippi Village in Hanover; also one in South Scituate.
Assonet, a village in Freetown.
Assonet River, in Freetown.
Assowampset Pond, in Lakeville and Middleborough.
Asylum Station, a village in Danvers.
Atherton, a village in Tewksbury.
Atlantic, a village in Quincy.
Atwood's Corner, a village in Newburyport.
Auburndale, a village in Newton.
Auburnville, a village in Whitman.
Ayer's Village, in Haverhill.
Babbatasset Village, in Pepperell.
Back River Harbor, in Bourne.
Back Row, a village in North Reading.
Barry's Corner, a village in Boston.
Bass Point Rocks, a village in Gloucester.
Basset's Island, southeast of Bourne.
Baker's Island, off Beverly shore, bearing two lights.
Bakerville, a village in Dartmouth.
Bald Hill, in Douglass, 711 feet in height.
Bald Pate Hill, in Newton, 312 feet in height.
Baldwinsville, a village in Templeton.
Ballardvale, a village in Andover.
Bancroft, a village in Middlefield.
Bardwell's Ferry, a village in Shelburne.
Bare Hill, in Stoneham, 820 feet in height.
Bare Hill Pond, in Harvard.
Barleyneck, a village in Orleans. [sic]
Barnard'sville, a village in Worcester. [sic]
Barney's Joy Point, south of Dartmouth.
Barrett's Junction, a village in Belchertown.
Barrowsville, a village in Norton.
Barry's Corner, a village in Boston.
Bass Point Rocks, a village in Gloucester.
Bassett's Island, southeast of Bourne.
Bay State Village, in Northampton.
Bay View, a village in Boston; also one in Gloucester.
Beach Bluff, a village in Swampscott.
Beachmont, a village in Revere.
Bearcroft, a village in Attleborough.
Bear Mountain, in Wendell, 1,281 feet in height.
Beaver, a village in East Bridgewater; also, one in North Adams.
Beaver Brook, a village in Danvers.
Beechdale, a village in Williamstown.
Beech Plain, a village in Sandisfield.
Beechwood, a village in Cohasset.
Bel Air, a village in Pittsfield.
Belcher's Corner, a village in Stoughton.
Bellerica Heights, a village in Tisbury.
Belleville, a village in Acushnet; also, one in Newburyport.
Bellevue Hill, in West Roxbury district, Boston, 334 feet in height.
Belvidere, a village in Lowell.
Berkshire, a village in Lanesborough.
Bethlehem was incorporated as a district, June 24, 1789; and united with Loudon to form the town of Otis, on June 19, 1809.
Billingsgate, a village in Wellfleet.
Billingsgate Island, at entrance of Wellfleet Harbor.
Billington Sea, a pond in Plymouth.
Birchdale, a village in Merrimack.
Blackinton, a village in North Adams; also one in Williamstown.
Blanchardville, a village in Palmer.
Blaneyville, a village in Attleborough.
Bleachery, a village in Lowell; also one in Waltham.
Blissville, a village in Orange.
Blithewood, a village in Worcester.
Bloomingdale, a village in Worcester.
Blue Hill, a village in the south part of Milton; also a range of hills, viz. : Great Blue Hill, in the north part of Canton (655 feet in height); Little Blue Hill, also in Canton (335 feet); Hancock Hill, in Milton (507 feet); and the following in Quincy: Bugbee Hill (439 feet), Bear Hill (495 feet), Glover's Hill (430 feet), Chickataubut Hill (518 feet), Wampatuck Hill (357 feet), Rattlesnake Hill (314 feet).
Bobtown, a village in Pittsfield.
Boston Corner was incorporated as a district, April 14, 1838. It then occupied the extreme southwest corner of the State; but being separated from the town of Mount Washington, which was the extreme southwestern town, by a lofty ridge, was physically inconvenient for jurisdiction by the State; and it consequently became the theatre of prize-fighting and other illegal practices. In order to bring it under proper restraint, it was ceded to the State of New York, to which it naturally belonged, May 14, 1853. It contained about 940 acres of land and 75 inhabitants. It was first settled by Daniel Porter, in 1763, or earlier.
Boston Harbor has its outer limits marked on the south by Point Allerton, the northeast extremity of the peninsular town of Hull, and on the north by Point Shirley, the southeastern extremity of the town of Winthrop, the two points being about four miles apart. The intermediate space is largely occupied by islands, which afford additional protection to the waters within. The harbor embraces an area of about 75 square miles. The main ship entrance is by Point Allerton and Fort Warren to the inner harbor, which is deep, and sufficiently capacious to hold 500 ships at anchor between Forts Winthrop and Independence.
The first of these defences is situated nearly in the centre of the inner expanse of the harbor, with the latter on the south, equally distant from it and from the outer point of South Boston on its westward side. The other and stronger fortification, Fort Warren is on Georges Island, directly facing Lighthouse Channel, which is the main entrance of the harbor, before mentioned. About one and a half miles distant, a few points north of east, is Boston Light, with. the Brewsters (islands) on the north and Point Allerton on the south. The tower of this light is 80 feet high, and is connected by a covered way 80 feet long with the keeper's dwelling. There are also two fog-signal buildings. The lantern gives a flashing white light, visible 16½ miles. About one half mile northeast from Fort Warren, in the direction of Great Brewster, is The Narrows Light Station, popularly known as the "Bug Light," being a low structure set upon seven iron pillars, or piles. Between this and Fort Warren is the main ship channel; which passes, further in, between Lovell's and Gallop's islands.
[Castle island and Fort Independence.]
South of Fort Warren are Nantasket Roads. About one and a half miles west of this fort is Long Island, about whose southern extremity are the waters of Back or Western Bay. Directly west of this, behind Thompson's Island, is Dorchester Bay; and north of the latter is Old Harbor Bay, washing the southern shore of South Boston. West of this place, and separating it from Roxbury district, is South Bay with its bridge-locked entrance from the north.
Close on the southeast of Point Shirley is Deer Island; and between this and Long Island, directly south, is Broad Sound, the main northern entrance of the harbor, marked by a light on the northern end of the latter island. Directly west of Broad Sound, and on a line with South Boston, is the clear expanse of water known as President's Roads. At the northwest is the entrance to Mystic River and Charles River basins, both crossed by one or more bridges.
In the extreme south of Boston Harbor are the smaller ones of Hingham and Quincy; while on the southeast is Hingham Landing; and north of the last, in Hull, are, successively, Sagamore Bay, Nantasket Landing and Hull Landing.
For further mention of the islands in this harbor, see the article on Boston, and that on each island.
Bostonville, a village in Wellesley.
Bourne's Hill, in Sandwich, 297 feet high.
Bourne's Neck, the southeastern extremity of Wareham.
Bowenville, a village in Fall River. Bourne's Hill, in Sandwich, 297 feet high.
Bowkerville, in Saugus.
Boxborough, a village in Rockland.
Braggville, a village in Holliston.
Braley's, a village in Freetown.
Bramanville, a village in Millbury.
Brandt Rock, village in Marshfield.
Brattle Station, a village in Arlington.
Braytonville, a village in North Adams.
Breed's Island, a part of the city of Boston, lying near on the northeast of East Boston.
Brewsters, The (Great, Middle and Outer), islands near the middle of the outer line of Boston Harbor.
Brick City, a village in Leicester.
Brigg's Corner, a village in Attleborough.
Briggsville, a village in Clarksburgh.
Brighton, the western section of Boston. incorporated as a town February 21, 1807; annexed to Boston by Act of May 1, 1873, and by vote of the city and town.
Brightwood, a village in Springfield.
Brittaniaville, a village in Taunton.
Broad Sound, the northern entrance to Boston Harbor.
Brookdale, a village in Peabody.
Brookside, a village in Westford.
Brook Station, a village in Princeton.
Brook's Village, in Templeton.
Brookville, a village in Holbrook.
Brownell's Corner, a village in Westborough.
Brush Hill, a village in Milton.
Bryantsville, in Pembroke.
Bucksville, in Millbury.
Buffum Village, in Oxford.
Bullardvale, a village in Winchendon.
Burgess Island, midway of the shore line of Bourne.
Burgess Point, in southern projection of Wareham.
Burkville, in Conway.
Burlingville, in Millbury.
Burncoat Pond, in Leicester.
Burrageville, in Ashburnham.
Burtt's, a village in Tewksbury.
Buttermilk Bay, the northeastern waters of Buzzard's Bay, between Wareham and Bourne.
Buzzard's Bay, a body of water in the southern part of the state; also a village in Bourne.
Byfield, a village in Georgetown; also one in Newbury.
Calf Island and Little Calf Island are on the north side in the outer group of islands marking Boston Harbor.
California, a village in Clinton.
Cambridge Avenue, a village in Gloucester
Campello, a village in Brockton.
Camp Ground, a village in Cottage City.
Canals. See Blackstone and Middlesex canals.[Blackstone Canal history is in Worcester County.]
Candlewood, a village in Ipswich.
Cannonville, a village in Mattapoisett; also one in New Bedford.
Canoza Lake, a beautiful sheet of water in Haverhill.
Cape Ann, the extreme eastern portion of Massachusetts north of Cape Cod. It is in Essex County, and in a general way embraces the town of Rockport and adjacent islands.
Cape Cod, in a general way, signifies the whole of Barnstable County (which see), which embraces the southeastern extremity of Massachusetts; more specifically, the extremity of that projection, in Provincetown,— which see.
Cape Cod Bay is that large body of water enclosed by the arm-like projection of Cape Cod, at the southeast of Massachusetts.
Carltonville, in Salem.
Carsonville, in Dalton.
Carterville, in Berlin; also in Chelsea.
Carysville, in Bellingham; also in Chelsea.
Castle Hill, in Saugus, is 288 feet in height.
Castle Island, in Boston Harbor, contains Fort Independence.
Castle Village, in Truro
Cataumet, a village, also a harbor, in Bourne.
Cedar Swamp Pond, in Milford.
Cedarville, in Plymouth.
Central Square, a village in Woburn.
Central Village, in Seekonk; also in Westport, and in West Boylston.
Centralville, in Lowell.
Centreville, in Barnstable; also in Grafton, in Uxbridge, and in Winchendon.
Chace's, a village in Taunton.
Chaffinsville, in Holden.
Chamberlain's Corner, a village in Westford.
Chandler's Hill, in Worcester, is 748 feet in height.
Channel Island, in Fort Point Channel, Boston Harbor.
Chapel Station, a village in Brookline.
Chapinsville, in Lawrence.
Chappaquansett, a village in Tisbury.
Chappaquoddie, a village in Edgartown.
Charles River, according to New England's first geographer, Morse, was the Quinobequin of the Indians; but, in the early period of settlements here, called the "Massachusetts River." It forms in the region where Worcester and Norfolk counties meet; first issuing, under its own name, from Cedar Swamp Pond, in the central part of the town of Milford. Flowing southward, its slender stream enters a smaller pond in the southern part of the town; thence flowing eastward, it receives, near Bellingham centre, the waters of its chief branch, flowing from Beaver Pond in the northern part of the town. Then, making an abrupt turn, it leaves Bellingham at the northeast corner. Receiving other streams from every direction along its course, it meanders through or beside the towns of Franklin, Medway, Norfolk, Medfield, Sherborn, Dover, Natick, Needham. Dedham, West Roxbury (Boston), Newton, Weston, Waltham, Watertown, Brighton (Boston) and Cambridge, sweeps in a broad stream by Charlestown (Boston), and, uniting with the Mystic, mingles with the sea in Boston Harbor. It is navigable by small vessels to Watertown, seven miles from its mouth, where its meets the tide. Little marshy land is found along its borders, though some small tracts at its mouth might give a contrary impression. It flows through a hilly region in a very devious course, furnishing many small powers at its numerous descents. Its source is scarcely more than twenty-five miles from Boston in a direct line; but its actual length is probably more than twice that distance. It frequently doubles upon itself; sometimes for several miles, and thus finds a comparatively quiet way, earning its terse characterization by the poet Longfellow, as it passed before his dwelling, as the "placid Charles : " — see the poems, "To the River Charles," and "The Bridge," by Henry W. Longfellow.
Charles River Village, in Dover; also in Needham.
Charlestown, the northwestern section of Boston, a peninsula. Incorporated as a town, June 24, 1629; incorporated as a city, February 22, 1847; annexed to Boston by Act of May 14, 1873, and by the votes of the two cities.
Chartley, a village in Norton.
Chase, a village in Dudley.
Chattanooga, a village in Ashland.
Chaubunagungamaug Lake (or Gumgamaug Lake), in the town of Webster.
Cheapside, a village in Deerfield.
Chebacco, a village, also a pond, in the town of Essex.
Chemistry, a village in Waltham.
Cherry Valley, a village in Leicester.
Chestnut Hill, a village in Blackstone; also one in Newton.
Chickataubut Hill, in Quincy, of the Blue Hill group, is 518 feet in height.
Chicopee River rises in Spencer, Leicester and Paxton, in Worcester County, where it bears the name of Seven-mile Brook. It receives the waters of Furnace Pond in North Brookfield, and of Quaboag Pond in Brookfield and of Wickaboag Pond in West Brookfield; then flows westward through Warren, and, turning southward forms a portion of the west line of Brimfield and a large portion of the south line of Palmer, separating that town from Monson. At Three Rivers, in the northwestern part of Palmer, it is enlarged by the commingled waters of Ware and Swift rivers, coming from the northeast and the north; and, leaving Palmer, it forms the divisional line between Ludlow and Wilbraham, then separates the eastern parts of Springfield and Chicopee, and enters the Connecticut in the southern part of the latter town, seven miles south of the falls at South Hadley and Holyoke. At the Falls in Chicopee it furnishes an important power, and smaller powers at various points in its course.
Chiltonville, in Plymouth.
Chimquist, a village in Mashpee.
Christiantown, a village in Tisbury.
Church Hill, a village in South Scituate.
City Mills, a village in Norfolk.
Clapboardtrees, a village in Dedham
Clarendon Hills, a village in Hyde Park.
Clark's Cove, on the west side of Clark's Point.
Clark's Island, celebrated as the landing-place of the Pilgrims, 1620, is a beautiful knoll in the southern part of Duxbury Bay.
Clark's Point, on the southwest side of the entrance of New Bedford harbor, bearing a lighthouse.
Clayton, a village in New Marlborough.
Clifton, a village in Marblehead.
Cliftondale, a village in Saugus.
Coatue, a village in Nantucket.
Cochesett, a village in West Bridgewater.
Cochituate a village in Wayland; also a lake situated on the boundary of Wayland and Framingham, — the original source of the water-supply for the Boston Water-works, and still a part of the system.
Coddon's Hill, in Marblehead; height, 118 feet.
Cohasset Narrows station, on the Old Colony Railroad, in Wareham.
Cold Brook Springs, a village in Oakham.
Cold Spring, a village in Otis.
Coles' Meadow, a village in Northampton.
Coleville, in Williamstown.
College Hill, a village in Medford.
Collinsville, in Dracut.
Colonel's Mountain, in Palmer, 1,172 feet in height.
Coltsville, in Pittsfield.
Commercial Point, a locality in the southeast part of Boston.
Concord River is formed by the union of Assabet and Sudbury rivers at Concord. It leaves this town on the northeast, forming, for a mile or two, the boundary line with Bedford, on the east; then the entire line between the latter town and Carlisle, on its western side; thence it flows through Billerica from south to north, forming for about one mile its divisional line from Chelmsford, on the west; when it enters Lowell and discharges into the Merrimack River. It is for nearly its entire length a sluggish stream; but at North Billerica it furnishes power for several mills; after which its descent is slight until its near approach to the Merrimack. It supplied most of the water for the old Middlesex Canal, which entered it in Billerica, and had connection with the Merrimack above the falls by means of the Pawtucket Canal.
Congamuck, a village in Southwick.
Connecticut Corner, a village in Dedham
Connecticut River, the Quon-ek-ti-cut of the Indians, has its principal source at the highlands which form the water-shed and the boundary line between New Hampshire and Lower Canada. In northern New Hampshire, a few miles south on its course, is Connecticut Lake, from which it issues in the full dignity of its name. Its Indian designation, according to some authorities, signifies "Long River;" according to others, "River of Pines;" while still later authorities render it as "the long tidal river," which is a description rather than a name. Its general course is slightly west of south. After forming the boundary between New Hampshire and Vermont, it crosses the western part of Massachusetts, dividing near the middle the counties of Franklin, Hampshire and Hampden; then passes through the midst of Connecticut, the State; and after a journey of 400 miles from its head, north of the 45° of latitude, it enters Long Island Sound, latitude 41° 16'; having drained a valley of about 12,000 square miles. Through its whole course it separates two broad belts of highland, while a series of terraces break the level of its bed. In the first quarter of its course down the mountain slope, between its source and the mouth of the Pa-sam-sic River, opposite the White Mountains, its descent is 1200 feet. At this point its bed is 400 feet above the sea. In 80 miles farther, to Bellows Falls, Vermont, it descends 100 feet. From thence to Deerfield it sinks 160 feet; from Deerfield to Springfield it falls 100 feet more, leaving its bed at Springfield but 40 feet above the level of the sea. Its entire fall from source to mouth is 1600 feet. The breadth of this river, at its first contact with Vermont soil, is about 150 feet; and in its course of 60 miles it increases to about 390 feet. Its average breadth between Mount Tom and the Connecticut line is not far from 1200 feet, and with a depth of water below Holyoke sufficient to float vessels of considerable tonnage. Its channel is remarkably clear of islands in its course through the State, and presents a broad and majestic appearance, sweeping in magnificent curves between its lofty banks. The extreme head of its tide-waters is just below the village of Warehouse Point (East Windsor, Conn.), about 64 miles from the mouth of the river at Saybrook bar.
It is navigable to Hartford, 45 miles, for vessels of considerable burden, and to Middletown, 30 miles from the sea, for vessels drawing twelve feet of water. By means of canals and other improvements it has been made navigable for boats to Fifteen Mile Falls, nearly 250 miles above Hartford. The most considerable rapids in this river are Bellows Falls; the falls of Queechy, just below the mouth of the Waterqueechy River; the White River Falls, below Hanover; and the Fifteen Mile Falls, in New Hampshire and Vermont; the falls at Montague and South Hadley, in Massachusetts; and the falls at Enfield, Connecticut, where it meets the tide-water. The perpendicular height of the falls which have been overcome by canals and locks, between Springfield, in Massachusetts, and Hanover, in New Hampshire, a distance of 130 miles, is 240 feet. Bars of sand and gravel extend across this river in various places, over which boats pass with difficulty in low water. In certain localities, as at Holyoke, its waters flow directly over the red sandstone of the valley, but for the greater part of the distance through the country, the bed of the river is composed of alluvial deposits, - sand, gravel and bowlders. In seasons of annual flood it overflows its banks and covers the lowest bottom lands, sometimes for miles. In length, utility and beauty this river forms a distinguished feature of New England.
The most important tributaries of the Connecticut River are Upper and Lower Amonoosuck, Israel's, John's, Mascomy, Sugar and Ashuelot rivers, in New Hampshire; Nulhegan, Passumpsic, Wells, Waits, Ompomponoosuck, White, Waterqueechy, Black, Williams, Sexton's and West rivers, in Vermont; and in Massachusetts, Miller's, Deerfield, Agawam, Chicopee and Westfield rivers; and in Connecticut, the Farmington River.
Consue, a village in Chilmark.
Cooleyville, in New Salem.
Coolidgeville, in Hudson.
Copecut Hill, in Fall River, 355 feet in height.
Cordaville, in Southborough.
Cork City, a village in Newton.
Cottage Farm, a village in Brookline.
Cotuit, a village in Barnstable
Cove Harbor, a village in Beverly.
Craigville, in Barnstable.
Craneville, in Dalton.
Crescent Beach, a village in Manchester; also, one in Revere.
Crockerville, in Fitchburg.
Crooked Lane, a village in Duxbury
Crowleyville, in Chicopee.
Cummingsville, in Woburn.
Curtisville, in East Bridgewater also, in Stockbridge.
Cutham, a village in Dedham
Cutter Valley, in Winchester.
Cuttyhunk, an island, a cape and a village in Gosnold.
Daltonville, in Newburyport.
Davistown, a village in Tisbury.
Davisville, in Falmouth.
Dawsonville, in Holden
Dayville, in Chester.
Deantown, a village in Attleborough.
Deerfield River, a beautiful and important stream which enters the Connecticut River between Greenfield and Deerfield. It rises in the high grounds of Windham County, near Stratton, Dover and Somerset, Vermont; and, proceeding in a southeast course, it passes into Massachusetts between Monroe and Rowe, and the latter and Florida; then flows more eastward through Charlemont and Buckland, and between Conway and Greenfield, and lastly through Deerfield. Its whole length is about 50 miles. In some places it is rapid, and its banks very precipitous. Its passage through the mountains is very curious and romantic. This stream affords valuable motive power, which is made use of at several points in the towns mentioned. Its most important tributaries are Pelham Brook and North and Green rivers, from the north, and Cold, Chickley's, Clesson's, Bear and South rivers on the southern side.
Deer Island, in the north part of Boston Harbor, contains the House of Industry and the House of Reformation, institutions of the city of Boston.
Depot Village, in West Boylston.
Devereaux, a village in Marblehead.
Dodgeville, in Attleborough.
Dogtown, a village in Wellfleet.
Donkeyville, in Foxborough.
Dorchester the Indian name of which was Mattapan, was named in honor of the Rev. John White, of Dorchester, the capital of Dorset County, England. It was incorporated as a town September 7, 1630; annexed to Boston June 4,1869.
Dorchester Bay, a part of Boston Harbor lying between South Boston and the Dorchester District of Boston.
Dorchester Point is an old name for the southeastern extremity of South Boston — the locality now called City Point.
Downer's Landing, a village and a landing place for harbor steamers in Hingham
Dragon's Corner, a village in Reading.
Dresser Hill, a village in Charlton.
Dry Pond, a village in Stoughton.
Dublin, a village in Peabody.
Duck Harbor, a village in Clinton.
Duckville, in Palmer.
Dudleyville, in Leverett.
Durensville, in Woburn.
Duxbury Bay. See Duxbury
Dwight, a village in Belchertown.
Eagleville, in Athol; also one in Holden
Eastern Point, the southwest extremity of East Gloucester, forming the southern shore of Gloucester Harbor.
East Farms, a village in Westfield.
East Hollow, a village in Pelham.
East Longwood, a locality in Boston adjoining the town of Brookline.
East New Boston, a village in Sandisfield.
East Parish, a village in Haverhill.
Eastville in Cottage City; also one in Bridgewater, and one in Edgartown.
Eddyville, in Middleborough.
Edgeworth, a village in Malden.
Egg Rock, east of Lynn and north of Nahant.
Egypt, a village in Scituate; also one in Somerset.
Elizabeth Islands, constituting the town of Gosnold, Dukes County, lie off the southwestern angle of Barnstable County, Cape Cod.
Ellis Furnace, a village in Carver.
Ellisville, a village in Plymouth.
Ellsworth, a village in Acton.
Elm Dale, a village in Uxbridge.
Elm Grove, a village in Colrain.
Elmwood, a village in Dedham; also one in East Bridgewater and one in Holyoke.
Essex River. See town of Essex.
Everettville, in Princeton.
Evergreens, a village in Newburyport.
Ewingville, in Holyoke.
Factory Village, in Brockton; also one in Easthampton and in Greenfield and in Middlefield.
Fairmount, a village in Holyoke; also one in Hyde Park.
Fair View, a village in Newton.
Fall River, a stream forming the line between Greenfield and Gill, and discharging into the Connecticut River.
Falls Village, in North Attleborough.
Faneuil, a locality in the Brighton district of Boston.
Farleyville, in Wendell.
Farmersville, in Attleborough; also in Sandwich.
Farm Pond, in Framingham, connected with Boston Water Works.
Farms, a village in Cheshire; also one in Newbury.
Farnam's, a village in Cheshire.
Farnumsville, in Grafton.
Faulkner, a village in Malden.
Fay's Mountain, in Westborough, 707 feet in height.
Fayville, in Southborough.
Federal Hill, a village in Dedham.
Federal Street Village, in Belchertown.
Feeding Hills, a village in Agawam.
Felchville, in Natick.
Felton's Corner, a village in Peabody.
Fenner Hill, a village in Webster.
Fernside, a village in Tyringham.
Fernwood, a village in Gloucester.
Field's Corner, a locality in the Dorchester district of Boston.
Fisherville, in Attleborough; also in Grafton.
Fiskdale, a village in Sturbridge.
Five Pound Island, in Gloucester inner harbor.
Flat Point, southwest extremity of land on southeast side of Gloucester harbor.
Flint Village, in Fall River.
Florence, a village in Northampton.
Folly Cove Village, in Gloucester.
Forest Hills, a locality and cemetery in the West Roxbury district of Boston.
Forge Village, in Westford.
Fort Point Channel, the entrance to South Bay, which divides South Boston from the city proper.
Fort River, a village in Hadley; also a stream rising in Pelham, and running southwest through Amherst and Hadley to the Connecticut River.
Foundry Village, in Colrain.
Four Corners, a village in Middleborough; also one in Stockbridge, and one in Worthington.
Foxhill, a village in Dedham.
Free Quarter, a village in Sandisfield.
French River rises in Spencer, Leicester and Paxton, and, flowing south, enters the Quinnebaug River in Thompsonville, Connecticut. The river derives its name from the circumstance that in 1685 some French Protestants settled upon its shores.
French Village, in Quincy.
Fresh Brook Village, in Wellfleet.
Fresh Pond, in Belmont.
Fresh Water Cove Village, in Gloucester.
Frye, a village in Andover.
Fryeville, in Orange; also in Bolton.
Fullerville, in Clinton.
Furnace, a village in Easton; also one in Hardwick, and one in Orange.
Furnace Pond, in Brookfield and North Brookfield.
Gallop's Island, in Boston Harbor.
Gannett's Corner, a village in Scituate.
Gate's Crossing, a village in Leominster.
Georges Island, in Boston Harbor, is occupied by Fort Warren.
Germantown, a village in Clinton; also one in Dedham and one in Quincy.
Gerry was incorporated as a town October 26, 1786; and the name changed to Phillipston February 5, 1814.
Gilbertville, in Hardwick.
Glendale, a village in Stockbridge; also one in Wilbraham.
Glenmere, a village in Lynn.
Glenwood, a village in Medford.
Globe Village, in Fall River; also in Stockbridge.
Glover's Corner, a locality in the Dorchester district.
Goodman Hill, in Sudbury, 415 feet in height.
Gooseberry Neck, the southern extremity of Westport and of Bristol County.
Gore District, a village in Webster.
Goulding Village, in Phillipstown.
Governor's Island, in Boston Harbor.
Grab Village, a locality of Jamaica Plain, in the West Roxbury district of Boston.
Grace, Mount, in Warwick, 1,628 feet in height.
Granite Bridge, a locality in the Dorchester district of Boston.
Graniteville, in Westford.
Grape Island, in the southern part of Boston Harbor.
Grasshopper Plain, a village in Newburyport.
Gravesville, in Hudson.
Great Herring Pond, in Plymouth.
Great Hill Point, the southeast extremity of Marion.
Great Neck, the southern extremity of Wareham.
Great Quittacus Pond, in Lakeville and Rochester.
Great River, a village in Deerfield; also a river rising in Alford, Berkshire County; and one flowing southward between Leyden and Colrain, and through Greenfield into the Deerfield River.
Greenbush, a village in Scituate.
Greendale, a village in Needham; also one in Worcester.
Green Harbor Village, in Marshfield.
Green Island is the northern island of the outer group marking Boston Harbor.
Green Lodge, a village in Dedham
Green River, a village in Deerfield; also a river rising Hancock, and running north through Williamstown into the Hoosac River; also one rising in Alford, and running through Egremont and Great Barrington to the Housatonic. The last is the stream which the poet Bryant describes in his poem entitled "Green River."
Greenville, in Leicester; also, in Sandwich.
Greenwood, a village in Wakefield.
Greylock, a mountain in Adams; also a village in North Adams.
Griswoldville, in Colrain.
Grout's Corner, a village in Montague.
Guinea, a village in Newburyport.
Gurnet, The, the outermost point of Duxbury Neck, bearing a light and marking the outer entrance of Duxbury Bay and Plymouth Harbor.
Gurney's Corners, a village in Hanson.
Half-Moon Island, in the southwest part of Boston Harbor.
Halfway Pond, a pond and a village in Plymouth.
Hallsville, in Lawrence.
Hardware, a village in Canton.
Harris, a village in Rehoboth.
Harrison Square, a locality in the Dorchester district of Boston.
Harrisville, in Clinton; also in West Boylston, and in Winchendon.
Hartsbrook, a village in Hadley.
Hartsville, in New Marlborough.
Hastingsville, in Framingham
Hatchfield, a village in Falmouth.
Havenville, in Burlington.
Haverhill Bridge, a village in Bradford.
Hawes Hill, in Barre, 1,285 feet in height.
Hayden Row, a village in Hopkinton.
Haydenville, in Williamsburg.
Haywardville, in Stoneham.
Hazelwood, a village in Hyde Park.
Hazen, Mount, in Clarksburg, 2,272 feet in height
Head, Pamet, a village in Truro.
Heald Village, in Barre.
Heath, a locality in the Roxbury district of Boston.
Hebronville, in Attleborough.
Herdsdale, a village in Northampton.
Highfield, a village in Falmouth.
High Head, a village in Truro.
Highland, a village in Truro; also a locality in the West Roxbury district of Boston.
Highland Lake, a pond, and also a village in Norfolk.
Highlands, a village in Holyoke; also one in Lowell, one in Lynn, and one in Woburn.
Highlandville, in Needham.
Hilliard's Knob, a peak in the Mount Holyoke range, at the south line of Amherst. It is 1,120 feet in height.
Hillsville, in Spencer.
Hitchcock's Mountain, in Wales, 1,190 feet in height.
Hixville, in Dartmouth.
Hockanum, a village in Hadley; also one in South Hadley.
Hog Island, a portion of the town of Essex.
Hog Island Harbor, east of Essex.
Hogsback, a village in Truro.
Holmesdale, a village in Pittsfield.
Holmes Hole, a village in Tisbury.
Holmes Holl, a village in Falmouth.
Holyoke, Mount, on the mutual boundaries of Hadley, South Hadley, Amherst and Granby, — which see for further account.
Hoosac, a village in Deerfield.
Hoosac River, — variously spelled as Hoosuc, Hoosack, Hoosick, and Hoosic. One of its branches rises in the middle region of the northern half of Bershire County, and unites at North Adams with another branch from Vermont; whence it flows northwest, passing along the southwest angle of Vermont, and reaching the Hudson River at Schagthicoke, fifteen miles above Troy, New York. The stream in many places is exceedingly rapid, affording much motive power, which has been made serviceable for mills and factories at several points.
Hoosac Tunnel, the passage of the Fitchburg Railroad through Hoosac Mountain in the towns of Florida and North Adams, — which see.
Hopbrook, a village in Tyringham.
Hopewell, a village in Taunton.
Horn Pond, a pond and also a village in Woburn.
Horse Neck, a village in Westport.
Horse Neck Beach, south of Westport.
Hospital Hill, a village in Northampton.
Hough's Neck, the eastern extremity of Quincy.
Houghtonville, a village in North Adams.
Housatonic, a village in Great Barrington.
Housatonic River has its source in the towns of Lanesborough and Windsor, in Berkshire County, the two main branches meeting at Pittsfield, where the river forms. It thence takes a winding course southward, through the towns of Lenox, Lee, and, by a westward bend, through Stockbridge and West Stockbridge, then southward again, through Great Barrington and Sheffield, into Connecticut; through which it follows a meandering course to Long Island Sound. The source of this lovely stream is more than 1,000 feet above the ocean; and in its course of nearly 150 miles, the river affords numerous mill sites, and receives tributary streams from many pleasant and fruitful towns. Its volume of water is not large, except in seasons of freshet, when the rains and melting snows from the mountains that environ its course, swell its flow until the valley meadows are inundated; by which means their fertility is largely increased. The scenery on the Housatonic in both States is in many passages exceedingly beautiful, and at some points almost enchanting. One of its cataracts — at Canaan, Connecticut — is sixty feet perpendicular. The name of this river is an Indian term signifying "over the mountain."
Howarth Village, in Oxford.
Howe's Station, a village in Middleton.
Howland, a village in Adams.
Howland's, a village in Lakeville.
Hutchinson embraced the " Rutland District," and was incorporated as a town, June, 1774. It was named in honor of Governor Thomas Hutchinson; but, for political reasons, the name was changed to Barre in November, 1776.
Hyannis is a village in Barnstable.
Hyannisport is a village and seaport in Barnstable.
Hydeville, in Winchendon.
Indian Orchard, a village in Springfield.
Indian Pond, a sheet of water, and also a village, in Kingston.
Indian Town, a village in Westport.
Ipswich River is formed in the eastern part of Wilmington, principally by the confluence of Maple-Meadow Brook, rising in Burlington, and Lubber Brook, rising in the northern part of Wilmington. It flows by Reading, through North Reading, by Lynnfield and Danvers, through Middleton and Topsfield, by Hamilton, and through Ipswich to the sea between Plum Island and Castle Neck. Its general course is northeasterly. It is navigable for small vessels about two miles; and above this it has good but not large water-powers at several points.
Ironstone, a village in Uxbridge.
Iron Works, a village in Bridgewater.
Island Creek, a village in Duxbury.
Islington, a village in Dedham.
Jamaica Plain, a locality in the West Roxbury district of Boston.
Jamaica Pond, a sheet of water in the West Roxbury district of Boston.
Jamesville, in Worcester.
Jeffersonville, in Holden
Jericho, a village in Dudley; also one in Scituate.
Jerusalem, a village in Dedham; also one in Tyringham, and one in West Bridgewater.
Jesseville, in New Bedford.
Johnsonville, in Newton.
Jones River Pond, is on the adjacent corners of Kingston, Plympton, Halifax and Pembroke.
Joppa, a village in Gloucester; also one in Newburyport
Katama, a village in Edgartown.
Kempville, in North Adams.
Kennersonville, in New Bedford.
Kenoza Lake, in Haverhill.
Kettle Island, off the eastern end of Manchester.
Kimball's Pond, in Amesbury.
Kittle Cove Village, in Manchester.
Kittredgeville, in Dalton.
Knightville, in Huntington.
Lagoon Heights, a village in the town of Cottage City.
Lake Pleasant, in Montague
Lake Street, a village in Arlington.
Lake Village, in Topsfield.
Lamb City, a village in Phillipston.
Lambert's Cove, a village in Tisbury.
Lanesville, in Gloucester.
Lane Village, in Ashburnham.
Larnedsville, in Auburn.
Laurels, The, a village in Newburyport
Leach's Pond, in Easton.
Lead Mine Pond, in Sturbridge.
Lebanon, a village in Seekonk.
Leeds, a village in Northampton.
Leesville, in Worcester.
Leet Ore Bed, a village in West Stockbridge.
Leland's Village, in Charlton.
Lewis Bay, south of Yarmouth and Barnstable
Liberty Plain, a village in Hingham
Lincoln, Mount, in Pelham, 1,246 feet in height.
Linden, a village in Malden; also one in Revere.
Line Brook, a village in Ipswich.
Linwood, a village in Lynn; also one in Northbridge.
Little Bay, in the southeast part of Fairhaven.
Little Rest, a village in Brimfield.
Little River, a village in Westfield.
Littleville, a village in Chester.
Lock's Village, in Shutesbury; also in Wendell.
Long Island, in Boston Harbor.
Longnook, a village in Truro.
Long Plain, a village in Acushnet.
Long Pond, in Lakeville and Freetown.
Longwood, a village in Brookline.
Loudon, the "Tyringham Equivalent," was incorporated February 27, 1773. The town Loudon and the district of Bethlehem were united as the town of Loudon, June 19, 1809; and the name was changed to "Otis," June 13, 1810. See Otis, and Becket.
Loudville, a village in Northampton; also one in Westhampton.
Lovell's Corner, a village in Weymouth.
Lovell's Island, one of the outer islands of Boston Harbor.
Lovellville, in Holden
Lower Factory, a village in West Boylston.
Lower Mills, a locality on the Neponset River, in the Dorchester district of Boston.
Luther's Corner, a village in Swansea.
Lymanville, in Attleborough.
Lyon's Village, in Monson.
Lyonsville, in Colrain.
Mace's, a village in Tewksbury.
Machine-Shop Village, in North Andover.
Madaket, a village in Nantucket.
Maddequot Harbor, at the west end of Nantucket Island.
Magnolia, a village in Gloucester.
Magnolia Point, the southwestern extremity of Gloucester.
Malabar, Cape, an old name of Monomoy Point.
Manchaug, a village in Sutton.
Manhan River rises in the towns of Huntington and Westhampton, flows southeast through Southampton into Westfield, then northeast back through Southampton into Easthampton, where it supplies valuable and well-improved powers; thence enters the Connecticut River.
Manomet, a village in Plymouth.
Manomet Hill, in the eastern part of Plymouth, 391 feet in height.
Manomet Point, east of the middle section of Plymouth.
Manville, in Leicester.
Maple Grove, a village in Adams.
Mapleville, in Wenham.
Maplewood, a village in Malden.
Marland, a village in Andover.
Marlborough, a village in Georgetown.
Marston's Mills, a village in Barnstable.
Martha's Vineyard, island, for a description and account of; see article on Dukes County.
Mashne Island, south of Wareham.
Massachusetts Bay is that portion of the Atlantic lying between and within Cape Ann on the north and Cape Cod on the south, embracing almost the entire eastern side of the State of Massachusetts. Within this body of water are included Cape Cod Bay and several harbors; of which are Boston Harbor, large enough to be called a bay, and Provincetown, Wellfleet, Plymouth, Lynn, Salem, Beverly, Gloucester and several smaller.
Massapoag Pond, in Sharon.
Matfield, a village in West Bridgewater.
Mattapan, the Indian name of Dorchester, in Boston; also a village in that district, having a station of the New York and New England Railroad; and another in Milton adjoining, having a station of the Old Colony Railroad.
Mauchaug Pond lies in Douglas and Sutton.
Maugus Hill, in Wellesley, is 325 feet in height.
Mechanicsville, in Attleborough; also in Fall River.
Menamshi, a village in Chilmark.
Mendal's Hill, in Fairhaven, 146 feet in height.
Merino Village, in Dudley.
Merrick, a village in West Springfield.
Merrimack River, one of the principal streams in New England, is formed of two nearly equal branches. The north branch, called Pemigewasset, rises near the Notch of the White Mountains, and passes southwardly through the corner of Franconia, through Lincoln, Peeling, Thornton and Campton, forming the boundary between Plymouth and Holderness, and also the boundary line between the counties of Belknap and Grafton, from the south corner of Holderness to near its junction with the Winnipesaukee. It receives several considerable branches in its course; Mad River, in Campton; Baker's, in Plymouth; and streams flowing from Squam and Newformed lakes, with numerous small tributaries. The east branch is the Winnipesaukee, through which pass the waters of the lake of that name. The descent of this branch, from the lake to its junction with the Pemigewasset, is 232 feet. The confluent stream bears the name of Merrimack, and pursues a south course, 78 miles, to Chelmsford, Massachusetts; thence an east course, 35 miles, to the sea at Newburyport. On the north line of Concord, the Contoocook discharges its waters into the Merrimack. The Soucook becomes a tributary in Pembroke, and the Suncook between Pembroke and Allenstown. The Piscataquog unites in Bedford; the Souhegan in Merrimack; and the beautiful Nashua River in the town of Nashua. A considerable stream called Stony Brook enters it from the southwest in Chelmsford, Massachusetts; and the sluggish Concord, from the midst of Middlesex County, wakes and leaps down upon it in Lowell. The beautiful Shawsheen, flowing northeast, enters it between Lawrence and North Andover. On the north side, the Merrimack receives Beaver River in Dracut; Little River in Haverhill; and Powow River between Amesbury and Salisbury. The principal tributaries before it enters Massachusetts are on the west side of the river, mostly rising in the highlands between it and the Connecticut. There are numerous falls in the Merrimack, the most noted of which are Garven's, in Concord, the falls in Hookset, and Amoskeag, in Goffstown and Manchester. These falls have all been rendered passable by looks, and boat navigation was many years ago extended as far as Concord. There are several fine bridges over the river, besides a number of ferries. The Merrimack, whose fountains are nearly on a level with those of the Connecticut, being much shorter in its course, has a far more rapid descent to the sea than the latter river, hence the intervales on its borders are less extensive, and the scenery less beautiful than on the longer river. It is, however, a majestic stream, and its waters are remarkably pure and wholesome; and on its borders are situated some of the most important towns in New England. Its width varies from 50 to 120 rods; and at its mouth it presents a beautiful sheet about a mile in width. The name of this river was originally written Merramacke and Monnomacke, Indian words signifying "a sturgeon."
Metcalf, a village in Holliston.
Mica Mill, a village in Chester.
Middle Farms, a village in Westfield.
Middlesex Canal connected Boston Harbor with the Merrimack River above the falls at Lowell; the design being to have a continuous navigable water-way to Lake Winnipesaukee. The construction of the canal was begun in or soon after 1792, and completed in 1808. At first, the boats reached the harbor through Medford River, but the canal was later extended to Charlestown. A dam from near Main Street to the flats near McLean Asylum formed the mill-pond, and the saw and grist mills were built and owned by the canal company. The pond, with a floating foot-bridge across it, formed a safe place for boats and rafts to lie before locking out into Charles River. The canal was 27 miles long, 30 feet wide and 4 feet deep. In leaving the mill-pond at Charlestown, the boats entered the canal, and in passing to Middlesex Village in Lowell they passed over 12 levels varying from 40 rods to 6 miles each. From the Concord River at Billerica Mills it descended three or four feet, according to the height of the water in the river; thence by one level of five miles to Middlesex Village, where, by three locks, it entered the Merrimack. The variation of level from the Concord River to tide-water was 107 feet; the descent from the Concord to the Merrimack being 27 feet. The cost of the canal was $528,000. The annual income from tolls was about $25,000. Boats of 24 tons usually occupied 12 hours in passing through the canal. It is recorded that once when a horse was giving a strong pull around a short curve, both the traces broke, and the tow-rope, 90 feet long and attached to the mast of the boat, contracted with such force that the whiffletree on its extremity flew back against the mast. The canal was crossed by 41 or more bridges.
Middlesex Fells is a mountainous tract of about 4,000 acres, comprised within the limits of five towns at their adjoining borders, nearly as follows : Stoneham, 1,592 acres, together with about 400 acres of water surface; Medford, 1,342 acres; Winchester, about 400 acres; Melrose, about 200 acres; and Maiden, about 50 acres. In the Stoneham portion in 1880 there were about 20 buildings; in Medford, not over 12; and in the other towns not any that were known. An association has been formed to put this tract in the hands of the Commonwealth for public uses.
Middlesex Village, in Lowell.
Middletown, a village in Tisbury.
Milk Row, a village in Somerville.
Mill and Bars Village, in Deerfield.
Mill Brook, a village in Duxbury.
Miller's Falls, a village in Erving; also one in Montague.
Miller's River rises in ponds in New Ipswich, N.H., and Ashburnham and Winchendon, Massachusetts. It has many tributaries, and passes through Athol, Orange and Wendell, and falls into the Connecticut between Erving and Montague. It is regarded as an excellent mill-stream.
Millington, a village in New Salem.
Mill River rises in Goshen, and flows southeast through Williamsburg and Northampton to the Connecticut. This was the scene of a noted disaster from the bursting of a dam several years ago, — regarding which, consult the towns mentioned. A second of this name rises in Leverett and runs southwest through Hadley to the Connecticut. A third rises in Conway, flows southeast through the southwestern part of Deerfield, where it receives Bloody Brook, then south through Whately and Hatfield to the Connecticut. A fourth rises in Wilbraham, in North and South Branches which unite in Springfield; it then enters the Connecticut just south of the city proper. A fifth rises in Hopkinton, and flowing south, forces the boundary line between Milford and Upton, runs through Hopedale, Mendon and Blackstone, and enters the Blackstone River at Woonsocket, in R. I. A sixth rises in Wrentham, flows north through Norfolk, and enters the Charles River near Rockville. A seventh is found in Taunton (formerly Canoe River), and has its sources in the northeastern towns of Bristol County.
Mill River, a village in Deerfield; also one in New Marlborough.
Mill Valley, a village in Amherst.
Mill Village, in Ashby: also in Bourne and in Dedham.
Milward, a village in Charlton.
Millwood, a village in Framingham.
Misery Island, Great and Little, lie south of the eastern extremity of Beverly.
Mishaum Point, a southern extremity of Dartmouth, east of Pamanset River.
Mitteneague, a village in West Springfield.
Monk's Hill, in Kingston, 313 feet in height.
Monomoy Island and Point extends southward from the "elbow" of Cape Cod. The point was formerly known as Cape Malabar, and earlier still as Sandy Point.
Monponsett Pond, in Halifax and Hanson.
Montello, a railway station and village in the northern part of Brockton.
Montrose, a village in Wakefield.
Montvale, a village in Woburn.
Montville, a village in Sandisfield.
Monument Beach, a village in Bourne.
Monument Harbor, in Bourne, northeast of Buzzard's Bay.
Monument Mountain, in Great Barrington.
Moon Island, in the southwestern part of Boston Harbor or Bay, off Squantum Neck. It contains the reservoir and pumping station of the Boston sewerage system. Half-Moon Island lies south of Moon Island.
Moose Hill, in Sharon, 530 feet in height.
More's Hill, in Goshen, 1,713 feet in height.
Morse Village, in New Salem.
Morseville, in Natick.
Moultonville, in Newburyport.
Mount Auburn, a noted cemetery lying on the borders of Cambridge and Watertown, also a village in Watertown, and a railroad station at the border of the two towns.
Mount Bowdoin, an elevated area in the Dorchester district of Boston.
Mount Daniel, in Webster, 788 feet in height.
Mount Esther, in Whately, 795 feet in height.
Mount Grace, in Warwick, 1,628 feet.
Mount Hermon, a village in Gill; and a post-office in Northfield, on the opposite side of the Connecticut River.
Mount Hope, a locality and cemetery in the West Roxbury district of Boston.
Mount Hope Bay is a nearly enclosed body of water on the east side of Narragansett Bay at the mouth of Taunton River. On a peninsula on its western side, in Rhode Island, is Mount Hope, famed as the home of Massasoit and King Philip, of the Wampanoags.
Mount Lincoln, in Pelham, 1,246 feet in height.
Mount Pleasant, an elevated locality in Roxbury.
Mount Tom, a village in Easthampton; also a mountain 1,214 feet in height on the eastern border of the town and of the southern detached section of Northampton, forming the west bank of the Connecticut River.
Mount Wachusett, in Princeton , 2,018 feet in height; also a village in the same town.
Mount Warren, an elevated locality in the Roxbury district of Boston.
Mount Washington, a village in Everett.
Mugget Hill, in Charlton, 1,012 feet in height.
Mumford Ponds, near the junction of Northbridge, Uxbridge and Sutton.
Murrayfield was "No. 9" of the ten townships sold at by order of the General Court, on the 2d of June, 1762. It was incorporated October 31, 1765; and the name changed to Chester February 21, 1783.
Muskegat Island forms the western extremity of Nantucket County.
Musquahoc Pond, in Rutland.
Myrickville, in Berkley. The Old Colony Railroad station near this village is "Myrick's."
Mystic, a village in Medford; also a pond or series of ponds at the junction of the towns of Arlington, Medford and Winchester, and the source of a portion of the water supply of the city of Boston.
Mystic River, the outlet of the Mystic ponds, flowing east, then southeast, through Medford to Boston Harbor.
Nagog Pond, in Littleton.
Namasket, a village in Middleborough.
Namequoit, a village in Orleans.
Namskaket, a village in Orleans.
Nanepashemet, a village in Marblehead.
Nantasket, a post-office office in North Cohasset, close upon the south line of Hull. Also, the section of Hull adjacent to Nantasket Beach.
Nantasket Roads, the open body of water at the southwest of the main entrance of Boston Harbor.
Nashoba, a village in Westford.
Naskatucket, a village in Fairhaven.
Nashawena Island, in the town of Gosnold.
Nashua River, a beautiful stream which has its original source in Ashburnham, in the northeastern part of Worcester County; and flowing through Westminster, Fitchburg and Leominster, receives in Lancaster its South Branch. This has its source in Wachusett Pond, in Princeton, whence it flows through Sterling, West Boylston, Royalston, Clinton. to the main stream in Lancaster. The latter then proceeds in a northeast course through Harvard, Shirley, Ayer, Groton and Pepperell, thence through Hollis and Nashua, N. H., where it falls into the Merrimack River.
Naukeag Ponds, in Ashburnham, — the source of the Nashua River.
Nauset, a long sand-bar on the east of Chatham and Orleans, the southeastern towns of Cape Cod. It is nearly on a line with the long island of Monomoy, with which It may in former times have been joined. The sea has made a breach through it opposite the centre of Eastham. It is sometimes called "Nauset Neck," but is practically two islands.
Nauset Harbor, lying between Orleans and Eastham, and opening into the ocean at the north end of Nauset Neck.
Naushon Island, the largest of the islands forming the town of Gosnold.
Needham Corners, a village in Peabody.
Neponset, a village in the Dorchester district of Boston.
Neponset River has its origin as the outlet of Neponset Reservoir in the northern section of Foxborough. Flowing north, it receives Walpole Mill branch, coming southward from Great Spring in the southeastern part of Dover. Near the conjoined angles of Sharon, Canton and Norwood it receives the overflow of Massapoag Pond in the first, and of Ponkapoag and Reservoir ponds in the second. It forms the line between the first two of these and Norwood, and between Canton and Dedham (where it receives Mother Brook) and between Milton and Hyde Park for a short distance; then makes a detour to the centre of the latter, but returns to the boundary, forming the line between the Dorchester district of Boston and Milton amid Quincy; where it enters Dorchester Bay at Commercial Point.
New Church, a village in Waltham.
New City, a village in Easthampton.
New Dublin, a village in Randolph.
Newhall's Crossing, a village in Peabody.
Newport, a village in Manchester.
New State, a village in Holden; also one in Milton.
Newtown, a village in Barnstable.
Nine Acre Corner, a village in Concord.
Nobscot, a hill, and also a village, in Framingham.
Nobska Point, south of Wood's Holl, bearing Nobska Light.
No Man's Land, an island about 6 miles south of Gay Head.
Nonamesset, the eastern of the Elizabeth Islands, which constitute the town of Gosnold.
Nonantum, a village, also a hill, in Newton.
Nonquit, a village in Dartmouth.
Norman's Woe, a rocky island near Gloucester shore, west of the harbor.
North Chelsea was detached from Chelsea, and incorporated as a town, March 19, 1848. Its name was changed to Revere March 24, 1871.
North Farms, a village in Northampton.
North River is formed by Indian Head River and other small streams gathering at the borders and forming the line between the towns of Hanover and Pembroke, and between the latter and Norwell. Turning north then east again, it divides the last and likewise Scituate from Marshfield; then turning southward near the sea, it receives South River. near the middle of the eastern side of Marshfield, and enters Massachusetts Bay. Many vessels were formerly built upon this river.
Northville, in East Bridgewater; also in Newton and in Worcester.
North Woods, a village in Holden.
Norwich, a village in Huntington.
Nutwood, a locality of Jamaica Plain, in the West Roxbury district of Boston.
Oak Bluffs, a village in Cottage City.
Oakdale, a village in Dedham.
Oak Grove Village, in Fall River.
Oak Hill, a village in Newton.
Oakland, a village in Taunton.
Oaklandville, in Saugus.
Ocean Spray, a village in Winthrop.
Ocklahoma, a village in Tisbury.
Old Common, a village in Millbury; also one in West Boylston.
Old Cotuit, a village in Barnstable.
Old Landing, a village in Marion.
Old Spain, a village in Weymouth.
Oldtown, a village in Newbury.
Onset, a village in Wareham.
Onset Bay, a harbor, also a village, in Wareham.
Oregon, a village in Ashland.
Orient Heights, a locality in East Boston.
Osterville, in Barnstable.
Otter River, a village in Templeton.
Oxford, a village in Fairhaven.
Oyster Harbor, in Chatham.
Packard's Mountain, in New Salem, 1278 feet in height.
Packardville, in Pelham; also in Pittsfield.
Padanaram, a village in Dartmouth.
Painsville, in Wellfleet. [Painesville?]
Palmer's Island, in New Bedford harbor.
Pamanset River, in Dartmouth.
Paper Mill Village, in Bridgewater; also in Groton.
Parker River, in Newbury.
Parkerville, in Westford.
Parks Corner, a village in Framingham.
Partridgefield was incorporated July 4, 1771; and its name changed to Peru, June 19, 1806.
Partridgeville, in Athol; also, in Templeton.
Pasque, an island forming part of the town of Gosnold.
Pattenville, in Billerica.
Paugatuck, a village in West Springfield.
Pawtucket was incorporated March 1, 1828; but by a change in State boundaries in 1861 it was, with the exception of a small part east of Seven-mile River, set off to Rhode Island. The first making of cotton cloth in this country by machinery driven by water-power was began in this place by Samuel Slater. The Blackstone River has a fall of about 50 feet at this point, and the power is used chiefly for driving cotton mills. "Pawtucket" is an Indian name. The town was until its incorporation a part of Seekonk.
Pawtucketville, in Lowell.
Peaked Mountain, in Monson, is 1,239 feet in height.
Peddock's Island lies in the middle section section of Boston Harbor or Bay.
Pegan Hill, in Natick, is 408 feet in height.
Pemberton, a village in Hull.
Penikese, or Pune, Island, is included in the town of Gosnold.
Perry's Peak, in Richmond, 2,089 feet in height.
Perryville, in Dudley; also in Rehoboth.
Phelp's Mill, a village in Peabody.
Phoenix, a village in Tewksbury.
Pierceville, in Rochester.
Pigeon Cove, a village in Rockport.
Pilfershire, a village in Newburyport.
Pine Grove, a village in Northampton.
Pine Nook, a village in Deerfield.
Plainville, in Hadley; also in Wrentham.
Pleasantdale, a village in Sutton.
Pleasant Lake, a village in Harwich; also, a pond in Montague.
Plimptonville, in Walpole.
Plum Island, a long, narrow sandy island forming the eastern parts of Newbury, Rowley and Ipswich, and between the main body of these towns and the sea. It is named from a fruit growing upon it.
Plum Island River, or Sound, is the narrow body of salt water enclosed between Plum Island and the mainland. It receives the waters of Parker, Rowley and Ipswich rivers.
Pocasset, a village in Bourne.
Pochet, a village in Orleans.
Pocumtuck Mountain, in Charlemont, has an altitude of 1,144 feet above Deerfield River.
Podunk, or Quaboag, Pond, in the town of Brookfield.
Poge, Cape, the northeastern angle of Martha's Vineyard Island, bearing a brilliant light.
Polpis Village, in Nantucket.
Pond Plain, a village in Dedham.
Pond Village, in Truro.
Pondville, in Norfolk.
Poniken, a village in Lancaster.
Ponkapoag, a village in Canton; also, a pond in Canton and Randolph.
Pontoosuc, a village and a lake in Pittsfield.
Pope's Island, in Acushnet River, New Bedford.
Popponesset Bay, on the southeast side of Mashpee.
Portnomequot, a village in Orleans.
Port Norfolk, a locality in the Dorchester district of Boston.
Pottapaug Pond, in Dana.
Pottersville, in Somerset.
Powder Mills, a village in Clarksburg.
Pratt's Junction, a village in Sterling.
Prattville, in Raynham; also, a locality in Chelsea, and in the Brighton district of Boston.
Precinct, a village in Lakeville.
Prentice Corner, a village in Northbridge.
President Roads, a large, clear expanse of water forming the outer section of Boston Harbor.
Proctor's Crossing, a village in Peabody.
Prospect Hill, in Waltham, is 482 feet in height.
Prospectville, in Waltham.
Provin's Mountain, in Agawam, 665 feet high.
Puddingshire, a village in Middleborough.
Purgatory, a village in Dedham
Putnamville, in Danvers.
Quaboag, or Podunk, Pond, in Brookfield.
Quaise, a village in Nantucket.
Quaker District, a village in Northbridge.
Quamquisset Harbor on southwest side of Falmouth.
Quannapowitt Lake, in Wakefield.
Queen Anne's Corner, a village in Norwell.
Quepeggin, a village in Chilmark.
Quidnet, a village in Nantucket.
Quinapoxet, a village in Holden.
Quinebaug River is a beautiful and useful stream rising in Mashapaug Pond, in Union, Connecticut; whence it flows northward through Holland into Brimfield, where it receives Mill Brook; then turning, flows southeastward in a tortuous course through Sturbridge, Southbridge and Dudley, into Thompson, Connecticut. where it receives French River; and further on, near Norwich, is itself merged in the Shetucket, until the waters of the Yantic are intermingled; when the stream becomes the Thames, and enters Long Island Sound between New London and Groton.
Quinsigamond, a pond lying on the adjacent borders of Worcester and Shrewsbury; also, a village in Worcester.
Quisset, a village in Falmouth.
Quitsey, a village in Chilmark.
Race Point, the extremity of Cape Cod, extending westward, and bearing a light.
Ragged Island, at the entrance of Hingham Harbor.
Ragged Plain, a village in Dedham.
Rail-Cut Hill, in Gloucester, 205 feet in height.
Rainsford Island, in Boston Harbor.
Rakeville, in Bellingham.
Ram Island, southeast of Marblehead.
Readville, in Hyde Park.
Red Brook, a village in Plymouth.
Renfrew, a village in Adams; also, one in Dalton.
Reservoir Hill, in Lincoln, 395 feet in height.
Reservoir Station, a village in Brookline.
Rexham. See Marshfield.
Riceville, in Athol.
Ridge Hill, a village in Norwell.
Ring's Island, a village in Salisbury.
Ringville, in Worthington.
Riverdale, a village in Dedham; also, one in Gloucester, in Northbridge, and in West Springfield.
Riverside, a village in Gill; also one in Haverhill in Newton, and in Weston.
Robert's Crossing, a village in Waltham.
Robert's Meadow, a village in Northampton.
Robinsonville, in Attleborough
Rochdale, a village in Leicester.
Rock, a village in Leicester.
Rock Bottom, a village in Stow.
Rockdale, a village in New Bedford; also, one in North Rockfield , a locality in Dorchester.
Rockharbor, a village in Orleans.[sic]
Rocks Village, in Haverhill.
Rockville, in Fitchburg; also, in Millis.
Rocky Nook, a village in Kingston.
Rogersville, in Uxbridge
Roslindale, a locality and railway station in West Roxbury.
Roxbury was incorporated as a town September 28, 1630; as a city March 12, 1846; and was annexed to Boston June 1, 1867.
Russell's Mills, a village in Dartmouth.
Russellville, in Hadley; also, in Southampton.
Rutland, a village in Billerica.
Ryall's Side, a village in Beverly.
Sagamore, a village in Bourne; and one in Hull, called also, "Sagamore Head."
Sailor's Island, at the entrance of Hingham harbor.
Salmon Falls, a village in Russell.
Salt Island, and Salt Island Ledge, lie off the eastern extremity of Gloucester.
Salvages, the Little and the Dry, are large and dangerous rocks lying north of Thacher's Island and northeast of Rockport.
Sampson's Island, in Orleans; also one in the mouth of Cotuit harbor.
Sandersdale, a village in Southbridge.
Sandy Valley, a village in Dedham
Saquish, a village in Plymouth.
Satucket, a village in East Bridgewater.
Saundersville, in Grafton.
Savin Hill, a locality in Dorchester.
Sawyer's Mills, a village in Boylston.
Saxonville, in Framingham.
Scaddings Pond, in Taunton.
Sconticut Point, (or Neck), a village in Fairhaven.
Scorton, a village in Sandwich.
Scotland, a village in Bridgewater; also, in Newbury and Newburyport.
Scott's Woods, a village in Milton.
Searsville, in Danvers; also, in Dennis and in Williamsburg.
Seaview, a village in Marshfield.
Seekonk, a village in Great Barrington.
Sesuet Harbor, in Dennis — north shore.
Shaker Settlement, a village in Hancock.
Shaker Village, Harvard; also, in Pittsfield and in Tyringham.
Shattuckville, in Colrain.
Shawmut, a locality in Dorchester.
Shawsheen River, rises in Lincoln and pursues a northeast course through Bedford, Billerica, Tewksbury and Andover, and unites with Merrimack at Lawrence. Its principal tributaries are Vine Brook from Lexington, and Content Brook, from Long Pond, in Tewksbury.
Shawville, in Wales.
Sherburn was the name of Nantucket for a considerable period prior to June 8,1795.
Sherburne, the former name of "Sherborn."
Shewamet Neck (or Shawmut Neck), the southern extremity of Somerset.
Sheldonville, in Wrentham.
Shepardville, in Wrentham.
Shirley Point, at the southern extremity of Winthrop.
Siasconset, a village in Nantucket
Silver Lake, a village in Kingston and Plympton, on he Old Colony Railroad; also, a railroad station and a pond in Wilmington.
Simpsonville, in Millbury.
Singletary Pond, in Sutton and Millbury.
Sippican, a village and harbor in Marion.
Six-mile Pond, on the borders of Monterey and New Marlborough.
Sixteen Acres, a village in Springfield.
Skinnerville, in Williamsburg.
Slab City, a village in Leverett, also, in Princeton and Williamstown.
Smith's Ferry, a village in Northampton.
Smith's Mills, a village in Dartmouth.
Smith's Station, a village in Enfield.
Smithville, a village in Barre.
Snellville, in Sturbridge.
Snipatuit Pond, in Rochester.
Sodom, a village in Scituate; also, one in Tyringham.
South Bay lies between South Boston and the northern part of the Roxbury district of Boston.
Southfield, a village in New Marlborough. Also, Southfield, incorporated as a district June 19, 1797, and annexed to Sandisfield, February 8, 1819.
South Reading. See Wakefield.
South Village, in Ashby; also in Dennis.
Southville, a village in Southborough.
Spot Pond, in Stoneham.
Springdale, a village in Canton; also, in Holden.
Spring Hill, a village in Sandwich.
Spring Village, in Winchendon.
Springville, in Topsfield.
Spy Pond, in Arlington.
Squam Point, a small peninsula dividing Squam River from Annisquam harbor,— all in Gloucester.
Squantum, a neck and a village in Quincy.
Squawbetty, a village in Taunton.
Squidnocket, a village in Chilmark.
Stage Harbor, at the southern extremity of Chatham.
State Line, a village in West Stockbridge.
Stearnsville, a village in Pittsfield.
Steep Brook, a village in Fall River.
Stetsonville, in Lynn.
Stevens Village, in North Andover.
Stevensville, in Dudley.
Stickneyville, in Groveland.
Still River, a village in Harvard.
Stillwater River, in Sterling.
Stone District, a village in Northbridge.
Stone Haven, a village in Dedham.
Stoneville, in Auburn.
Stony Beach, a village on the north shore of Hull.
Stony Brook, a village in Kingston; also, one in Norfolk and one in Weston.
Stony Point, between Monument and Back Bay rivers, in Bourne.
Stoughtonham. See Sharon.
Straitsmouth Island, off and near the northeast angle of Rockport.
Strawberry Hill, in Hull, near Nantasket Beach.
Straw Hollow, a village in Boylston.
Strong Island, in Chatham.
Succoneset, a village in Falmouth.
Sudbury River rises in Hopkinton and its neighborhood, and after passing Framingham, Natick, Sudbury, Wayland and Lincoln, joins the Assabet at Concord,— the two forming Concord River.
Sugar Loaf, a village in Deerfield.
Suntaug Lake, in Peabody and Lynnfield.
Surfside, a locality in Nantucket and railroad station in Hull; also, one in Nantucket.
Sweet's Corner, a village in Williamstown.
Swift River rises in towns near the junction of Worcester, Franklin and Hampshire counties; and flowing southward through Pelham, Prescott, Greenwich, Enfield, and between Belchertown and Ware, and Belchertown and Palmer, it enters Ware River near the union of that stream with the Chicopee. Also, a stream in Cummington.
Symme's Corner, a village in Winchester.
Tack Factory, a village in Middleborough.
Taconic Dome, or Mount Everett, in the town of Mount Washington.
Tapleyville, in Danvers.
Tasseltop, a village in Douglas.
Tatham, a village in West Springfield.
Tatnuck, a village in Worcester.
Taunton River rises in the northwestern section of Plymouth County and adjacent towns in Norfolk County, and flows into Mount Hope Bay. It drains by its branches Stoughton, Avon, Holbrook, Whitman, Brockton, Abington, Hanson, Halifax, Plympton, the Bridgewaters, Raynham, Taunton, Berkley, Dighton, Freetown, Fall River, Somerset and Swansey. It is navigable to Taunton for small vessels. This river is celebrated for its great and widely distributed water-power, and for the multitude of alewives which formerly thronged its waters.
Teatickett, a village in Falmouth.
Telegraph Hill, in the northwestern part of Hull; also, a name some time applied to Mount Washington, in South Boston.
Titicut, a village in Middleborough.
Tom, Mount, 1,214 feet in height, forming a disconnected tract of Northampton on the south of the town, on the west bank of the Connecticut River.
Tonset, a village in Orleans.
Town Hill, a village in Randolph.
Town River Bay, in Quincy.
Traskville, in Fitchburg.
Tremont, a village in Wareham.
Trowbridgeville, in Worcester.
Troy. See Fall River.
Tuckernuck, an island, also a village, at the west end of Nantucket.
Tuft's Hill, in New Braintree.
Tuft's Pond, in Mendon.
Tuftsville, in Dudley.
Turkey Hill, a village in Newburyport.
Turkey Shore, a village in Ipswich.
Turner's Falls, a village in Montague.
Tylerville, a village in Belchertown.
Uncatena, an island in Gosnold.
Uniom Market, a village in Watertown.
Unionville, in Franklin; also, in Holden and in Wellesley.
Upham's Corner, a locality in the Dorchester district of Boston.
Unionville, in Franklin; also, in Holden and in Wellesley.
Valley Village, in West Boylston.
Van Deusenville, in Great Barrington.
Vineyard Grove, a village in Edgartown.
Vineyard Haven, a village in Tisbury.
Vineyard Highlands, a village in Cottage City.
Vineyard Sound, the body of water between Gosnold and Martha's Vineyard.
Waban Hill, in Newton, 306 feet in height.
Waban Lake, in Wellesley.
Wachusett Mountain, in Princeton, 2,018 feet in height.
Wachusett Pond, lies on the borders of Westminster and Princeton.
Wachusett Village, in Westminster.
Wadsworth's, a village in Franklin.
Wakeby, a village in Sandwich.
Walden Pond, in Concord.
Walker, a village in Taunton.
Walnut Hill, a village in Dedham.
Wamesit, a village in Tewksbury.
Wapping, a village in Deerfield; also, one in Kingston.
Wapua Point, southeast of Martha's Vineyard.
Waquoit, a village and a bay at the southeastern extremity of Falmouth.
Ward. See Auburn.
Ward Hill, a village in Bradford.
Ware River is formed of branches from Hubbardston Barre and Oakham. It flows through Hardwick, New Braintree and Ware, and joins the Chicopee in Palmer.
Warnerville, in Concord.
Washington Village, in the South Boston district of the City of Boston.
Watatic Mountain, in Ashburnham, 1,847 feet in height.
Waterford, a village in Blackstone.
Waterville, in Middleborough; also in Winchendon.
Watuppa Pond, in Fall River.
Waushaccum Ponds, in Sterling.
Wauwinet, a village in Nantucket.
Waverly, a village in Belmont.
Webster Village, in Scituate.
Weir, a village in Taunton.
Wellingsby, a village in Plymouth.
Wellington, a village in Medford.
Wellington was a town formed from the north part of Dighton in June 9, 1814; the places were reunited under the old name, February 22, 1826, and the town of Wellington became extinct.
Wellington Hill, in Belmont, 310 feet in height.
Wenaumet Neck, in Bourne.
Wenham, a village, and also a pond, in Carver.
Wepecket, an island forming a part of Gosnold.
West Cambridge. See Arlington.
West Island, south of Acushnet, in Buzzard's Bay.
West Centre Village, in Andover.
West Corners, a village in Randolph.
Western. See Warren.
West Farms, a village in Northampton, also, one in Westfield.
Westfield, a village in Dedham.
Westfield River (sometimes called the Agawam River) gathers its first waters in Savoy and Windsor, in the northeast section of Berkshire County; its main stream traversing Cummington, Chesterfield, Huntington, in Hampshire County, and Russell and Westfield in Hampden County; thence flowing between West Springfield and Agawam to the Connecticut. It has many branches and numerous falls.
West New Boston, a village in Sandisfield.
West Parish, a village in Haverhill; also, one in Westfield.
Westport Mills, or Westport Factory Village, in Dartmouth and Westport.
Westvale, a village in Concord.
Westville, in Sturbridge; also, in Taunton.
West Woods, a village in Washington.
Weweantitt River, in Wareham.
Wheelerville, in Millbury; also, in Athol.
Whitehall Pond, in Hopkinton, included in the Boston Water-works system.
White Island Pond, in Plymouth.
White's, a village in Easton.
Whiteville, in Mansfield.
Whitinsville, in Northbridge.
Whittenton, a village in Taunton.
Wickaboag Pond, in Brookfield.
Wild Harbor, in Bourne.
Wilkinsonville, in Sutton.
Wilkinsville, in Hudson.
Williamsville, in Hubbardston; also, in West Stockbridge.
Willimansett, a village in Chicopee.
Willow Bridge, a village in Somerville.
Willowdale, a village in Ipswich.
Winetuxet, a village in Plymouth.
Winneconnet, a village in Norton.
Winter Hill, a hill and village in Somerville.
Wire Village, in Spencer.
Wollaston Heights, a village in Quincy.
Woodbridge's Island, at the east side of Newburyport harbor.
Wodbury's Village, in Sutton.
Wood End, the outermost part of the peninsula (now become a long island) guarding Provincetown harbor, bearing a light; also, a southeastern point of Rockport (formerly Emerson's Point), devoted to summer residences.
Wood's Holl, a harbor and a village in Falmouth.
Woodville, in Hopkinton; also, in Wakefield.
World's End, a promontory at the end of a long peninsula forming the northern extremity of Hingham.
Wyoma, a village in Lynn.
Wyoming, a village in Melrose.
Zoar, a rough and romantic tract of land on the left (north) bank of the Deerfield River, near the mouth of the Hoosac Tunnel, was, by an act of legislature, April 2, 1838, divided, and one part annexed to Rowe and the other to Charlemont. The name is now applied only to a village within the limits of the tract in the western extremity of Charlemont. It has a post-office, a station on the Fitchburg Railroad, a saw mill, and several dwelling-houses, nestled in between Deerfield River and the mountains.
Zylonite, a village in Adams.
alphabetical section anchors:
A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, Z
return to Massachusetts Gazetteer