New Braintree Massachusetts, 1890
New Braintree is situated in the western part of Worcester County, its northwest side lying on Ware River, which separates it from Hardwick and Ware. The territorial form is mainly triangular, with apex to the north and its base line east and west. Barre and Oakham bound it on the north east, and North Brookfield and West Brookfield on the south. The assessed area is 12,856 acres, including 2,790 acres of forest, chiefly maple, ash, chestnut, oak and walnut. Tufts' Hill, in the easterly part of the town, rises to an altitude of 1,179 feet, and is one of the highest points of land in the county. Near on its northwest side are Pepper and Webb's ponds. Many bubbling springs and sparkling brooks mark the surface, which is much varied by hills and valleys. The soil is good, affording excellent grazing; and the dairy products have been regarded as of superior quality. The 119 farms in 1885 yielded products to the value of $178,114. The cereal and apple crops are proportionately large. The manufactories consist of a small paper-mill, a carriage factory, a saw-mill, one or more grain mills, and other shops found in rural communities. The value of the aggregate product in 1885 was set down in the census as $15,663. The population was 558, including 132 legal voters. The valuation in 1888 was $439,890, with a tax-rate of $10.50 on $1,000. The taxed dwelling-houses were 116 in number. The six school buildings are valued at upwards of $5,000. There is a town library of nearly 800 volumes. The only church edifice belongs to the Congregationalists. New Braintree is the post-office and only village; and is situated at the centre. The Central Massachusetts Railroad, of the Boston and Maine Railroad system, runs through the town, with the Ware River Railroad at the southwest border. The Indian name of the place was Winimisset. Eight men were killed and three mortally wounded here by the savages, August 2, 1676. A grant of 1,000 acres of the township was made to people in old Braintree in Norfolk County for services rendered in 1675; and the rest of the territory of the present town was taken from Brookfield and Hardwick. For a time the place bore only the name "Braintree Farms." It was incorporated as New Braintree on January 31, 1751. The town furnished 34 soldiers to the Union armies in the late war, of whom 10 were lost.
Among eminent natives of New Braintree were Charles Eames, (1812-1867), an able international lawyer and editor; Jonathan Fisher (1768-1847), clergyman, and author of "Scripture Animals."
p. 492 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890