North Andover Massachusetts, 1890
North Andover is narrow township lying in the northwest part of Essex County, 28 miles from Boston by the Boston and Maine Railroad; one line of which runs along the river, and the other bisects the town. A street railroad also connects the principal village with Lawrence. It is bounded on the northeast and east by Bradford and Boxford; on the southeast by Middleton, on the southwest by Andover, and on the northwest by Lawrence and Methuen.
The assessed area is 15,367 acres, including 4,762 acres of woodland. The Shawsheen and Merrimack rivers separate it from Lawrence, and the latter from Methuen. In the northern part is Great Pond, a beautiful expanse of water covering 450 acres, and sending a tributary to the Merrimack. This stream bears the name of Chochechiwick River, and furnishes the power for several mills. Boston Brook and Mosquito Brook drain the southern part of the town, flowing southerly into the Ipswich River. The geological formation is calcareous gneiss, with a section of granite in the western part. The land is hilly in the northern and undulating in the southern section; and the soil is generally fertile and well cultivated. The scenery in the north part is very beautiful, and the elevated points afford fine views along the Merrimack. The farms numbered in 1885, 119; and their aggregate product was $197,098. Apple trees are numerous, and cranberries are a considerable crop. The larger factories consist of three woollen mills, employing some 300 persons, and a machine shop employing nearly 700. The latter makes cotton, woollen and other machinery. The other manufactures are woollen cloths, worsteds, hosiery, card clothing, leather, soap and food preparations. The aggregate value of the goods made was $1,054,437. The population was 3,425, including 780 legal voters. The valuation in 1888 was $2,370,538, with a tax-rate of $12.60 on $1,000. There were 760 taxed dwelling-houses. The post-offices are North Andover (village) and North Andover Depot. Other centres are Machine Shop Village and Steven's Village. The public-school system includes a high school and the lower grades; and these occupy eight buildings, valued at some $50,000. The public library contained 6,250 volumes. The churches were Congregationalist, Methodist, Unitarian, Episcopal and Roman Catholic.
North Andover was taken from Andover, and incorporated, April 7, 1855. The town sent into the war for the Union 273 men, — 15 more than its quota; and 20 of these were lost in the service or in consequence of it.
pp. 510-511 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890