North Attleborough Massachusetts, 1890
North Attleborough is a prosperous farming and manufacturing town forming: the northeast angle of Bristol County. A branch road four miles in length connects North Attleborough -- the northern village, -- with Attleborough station, 32 miles from Boston, on the Providence Division of the Old Colony Railroad. The other stations are Farmers and Falls Village. An electric street railway also connects with Attleborough. The post-offices are North Attleborough and Attleborough Falls.
The town is bounded on the north by Wrentham, east by Mansfield, south by Attleborough, and west by Cumberland in Rhode Island. The assessed area is 9,967 acres; of which about one third is forest, consisting of oak, maple, chestnut and elm. The southeastern section is quite level; with some undulations, which continue through the northwest section, rising into frequent hills of little elevation. At the centre, south and northeast are ponds, --Whitings, Falls, Freeman and Bungay Reservoir. Their area is respectively, 40, 65, 8 and 100 acres. Ten Mile River, connecting the central ponds, furnishes several mill powers, and flows southeast through Attleborough, and finally into Providence Bay. The formative rock is carboniferous, and the soil is generally clayey. The wood and poultry products are large, and strawberries are much cultivated.
The leading occupation of the people is the manufacture of jewelry. The largest establishments are the E. J. Richards and Company jewelry factories, the H. N. Dagget braid mill and jewelry factory, and H. M. Whitney and Company's establishment, making jewelry and silver-ware. These employ altogether about 1,200 persons. There are other smaller establishments making jewelry and the minor articles of manufacturing towns. The North Attleborough National Bank has a capital of $150,000; and the savings bank, at the close of last year, carried deposits to the amount of $832,922. The number of dwellings taxed in 1888 was 1,111; the number of legal voters was 2,012 and the population about 8,700. The valuation in 1888 was $3,572,264; with a tax-rate of $13 on $1,000.
The schools are graded, and there is a growing public library. The " Chronicle," published here weekly, is independent in politics, and has a good circulation. The Baptists, Universalists, Methodists, Episcopalians, Congregationalists and Roman Catholics each have a church edifice here; and there is also the Immanuel Church Mission. The villages are remarkable for their neat appearance. The streets are kept in excellent order; and many are ornamented with elms, some of which have been growing in their places a hundred years.
This town was formerly the north part of Attleborough, and was set off and incorporated on June 14, 1887. Some early history may be found in the article relating to the present town.
pp. 511-512 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890