Randolph Massachusetts, 1890
Randolph is a vigorous and flourishing town in the eastern section of Norfolk County; the post-office and chief village (Randolph) being fifteen miles from Boston on the Old Colony Railroad. The other villages are New Dublin, Tower Hill and West Corners. The town is bounded on the north by Milton, Quincy and Braintree, on the east by the latter, on the southeast by Holbrook, and on the southwest by Canton. The assessed area is 5,722 acres. There are about 1,950 acres of forest, consisting chiefly of oak, maple and pine. The geological structure is sienite. The surface of the town is elevated, uneven and stony. The soil is a gravelly loam. Tower Hill is a beautiful elevation, affording to its residents an extensive prospect. Ponkapoag Pond lies partly within the town at the northwest, and Great Pond at the northeastern angle. Blue Hill River forms the northern line; while Cochato River, forming a part of the eastern line, with its rivulets drains the southeastern territory. The central village is finely situated on rising ground, and has many handsome public and private buildings. There is a fine town-hall, erected by the munificence of the late Amasa Stetson, a native of the town; who also liberally endowed the Stetson High School. A beautiful public library building of stone, — the gift of the heirs of the late Col. Royal Turner, a native and resident, — now contains upwards of 9,000 volumes.
The principal manufacture is boots and shoes, which employs about 1,000 persons. The 19 factories reported in the last State census made goods in 1885 to the value of $832,756. Other manufactures are machinery and metallic goods, carriages, clothing, food preparations, furniture, leather, polishes, soap, and wrought stone. The aggregate value of the goods made was $954,641. The 88 farms yielded the aggregate value of $60,873. The national hank has a capital stock of $200,000; and the savings bank at the close of last year held $938,913 in deposits. The population was 3,807; including 1,074 legal voters. The valuation in 1888 was $2,010,170 with a tax-rate of $16 on $1,000. There were 802 taxed dwelling-houses.
The public schools are completely graded, and occupy 8 buildings valued at some $50,000. The Ladies Library Association has about 1,200 volumes. The "Norfolk County Register " and the " Randolph Transcript" are the newspapers. There are here one church each of the Congregationalists, Baptists and Roman Catholics.
"The South Parish" of Braintree was incorporated, March 9, 1793, as Randolph; the name honoring Hon. Peyton Randolph, of Virginia. Holbrook was taken from its southeast part in 1872. This town sent over 600 men into the Union service during the late war, of whom about 100 were lost. In the town hall are tablets to their memory.
pp. 558-559 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890