Revere Massachusetts, 1890
Revere, forming the northeastern extremity of Suffolk County, has its greatest length along its sea-line. It adjoins Lynn on the north, Malden and Everett on the west, Chelsea on the south; and a neck at the southeast connects it with Winthrop.
A long, narrow neck (called "Point of Pines," from its native trees) extends northeasterly to Lynn Harbor; having on its ocean side a splendid sandy beach, visited by thousands in the warm season, for sea-bathing, boating and fishing, or for the entertainments of band and other music, fireworks, games, and all the numerous devices for amusement possible at such a place. It has also great hotels, shady groves, summer houses, booths, tents and pavilions.
Nearly the whole shore is a beach, but at the extreme south the depth of water increases more suddenly, until at Orient Heights the shore becomes a decided bluff. Except at the south, the eastern section of the town is low and marshy, and in large part flooded at high tide; but other parts are elevated and afford excellent sites for building. The western part of the town is devoted largely to dairy farms and market gardens.
The number of farms in 1885 was 26, and their aggregate product was valued at $113,136*. Apple trees are numerous, and there were 21,682 pear trees and 1,575 peach trees. The number of milch cows was 3,560*, and of horses 9,975*. The manufactures consist of bricks, terra-cotta lumber, metallic goods, boots and shoes, carriages, leather, clothing and food preparations; and amounted in the aggregate to $212,219. The population was 3,637, and the legal voters 846. The valuation in 1888 was $4,676,615, with a tax-rate of $10 on $1,000. The number of dwelling-houses taxed was 972. The average length of the town is about three miles, and the width about two miles. The assessed area is 3,345 acres.
The East Boston Branch Railroad has a Revere station, the Eastern Division of the Boston and Maine, and the Boston, Lynn and Revere Railroad (narrow-gauge) run through the eastern part, and the Saugus Branch through the extreme northwestern part, having a station at Franklin Park. The other stations are Point of Pines Oak Island, and Crescent Beach. One of the piers, 1,600 feet in length, furnishes a good landing place for large steamers. The villages not already mentioned are Beachmont, Linden and North End. Revere and Franklin Park are the post-offices. Elm, linden and maple trees are numerous and thrifty along the highways. The Revere Water Company supplies pure water in all parts of the town. The primary and grammar schools are provided with five buildings, valued at about $15,000. There is a public library of 3,000 volumes. The local newspaper is the "Revere Journal," of weekly issue. The churches are one each of the Congregationalists, Unitarians, Baptists, and Protestant Episcopalians .
This township was originally in the corporation of Chelsea, was set off and incorporated as North Chelsea, March 9, 1848; and March 24, 1871, the name was changed to Revere, in honor of the Revolutionary patriot, Paul Revere.
pp. 563-564 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890
*[The farm statistics are all out of proportion to the other towns, and I question their accuracy.]