Sandwich Massachusetts, 1890
Sandwich lies on the southwest side of Cape Cod Bay, in the northwestern part of Barnstable county, and is 62 miles from Boston on the Cape Cod Division of the Old Colony Railroad. The stations are Sandwich and East Sandwich; and these, with Forestdale, South Sandwich and Spring Hill, are post-offices. Other villages are Farmersville, Greenville, Scorton and Wakeby.
The town is bounded on the northeast by Cape Cod Bay, on the southeast by Barnstable, on the south by Mashpee and Falmouth, and on the west and northwest by Bourne. The assessed area is 20,955 acres; the extent of woodland being about 15,000 acres. The principal harbor, on which is situated Sandwich village, lies near the middle of the shore line. Scusset harbor is at the northwest border of the town; and between the two lies Town Neck. Scorton harbor, at the other extremity, forms Scorton Neck. In the southern part are numerous ponds; the largest of which are Peter's Pond, of about 176 acres; Spectacle Pond, of 150 acres; Lawrence Pond, about 70; and Deep-bottom Pond, of about 34 acres. The geological formation is drift and alluvium. The land is generally level, the western part being, in common with adjacent parts or Bourne, almost a wilderness, mainly covered with oak and pine, and through which numerous red deer still roam. The most conspicuous elevation is Bourne's Hill, near the centre of the township, and rising 270 feet above sea-level. It is in latitude 41° 44' and longitude 70° 29' 28".
Fruits and berries and the plants of eastern Massachusetts are found here. Cranberries are a large crop; the yield in 1885 being 2,389 barrels, worth $14,334. The aggregate product of the 102 farms was $70,804. The principal manufacture is glass, for which the place has long been famous. The original establishment is the old Boston and Sandwich Glass Company, founded by the late Deming Jarves in 1825. According to the census of 1870, this factory employed in that year 590 men, and made flint and colored glass to the value of $640,000. Mr. Jarves, in 1859, withdrew from this company, and built the Cape Cod Glass Works, now occupied by the Charles W. Spurr Veneer Company and the new Cape Cod Glass Company. The Co-operative Glass Company, organized in June, 1888, was composed mainly of the workmen of the original works, which are now owned by the Alpha Glass and Metal Company. The manufacture of tacks was begun here at a later period, in the buildings which had been used first for making woollen yarn, then for cotton cloth. In 1885, the date of the last State census, the glass factories were not in full operation, employing, in June of that year, 195 men and 32 women; when, also, 11 persons were engaged in the tack factory. The other manufactures at this date were arms and ammunition, clothing, furniture, leather, paper goods, carriages, boots and shoes, and food preparations. The value of the aggregate product was $436,955. There is here a co-operative bank established
[view of Sandwich]
in 1885, and having a fair amount of business. The fisheries—consisting of mackerel, bluefish and herring--yielded $12, 000. The population was 2,124, — of whom 506 were legal voters. The valuation in 1888 was $937,150, with a tax-rate of $14.40 on $1,000. There were 474 taxed dwelling-houses.
The public schools are graded as primary, grammar and high. The latter school has free use of the building and apparatus of Sandwich Academy, which was established in 1804. There is a circulating library of about 1,500 volumes. The "Observer," published weekly, is the newspaper for this town. The churches are one each of the Congregationalists, Friends, Methodists, Episcopalians, Roman Catholics and the Unitarians. The old Quaker church at Spring Hill is an ancient landmark. In this vicinity are several small ponds where the native pink lily is cultivated for market. The peculiar features of the principal village are the glass-works with their tall chimneys, with the great willow trees and the sea-meadows beyond. The rather elegant old town-house and the academy are also notable objects. The Indian name of this place was Shawme. The first settlement is said to have been made here by "10 men of Saugus" about 1637; but it is known to have been used as a halting place in transit at an earlier date. The town was incorporated September 3, 1639, and named for Sandwich, in county Kent, England The western part was set off to form the town of Bourne in 1884.
pages 581-583 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890
Barnstable county 1890, Gazetteer 1890