Savoy Massachusetts, 1890
Savoy is situated on the southern slope and valley of Hoosac Mountain, in the northeastern part of Berkshire County, 133 miles from Boston. Florida, from which it is in part separated by Cold River, bounds it on the north; Hawley with corners of Charlemont and Plainfield on the east; Windsor on the south; and Cheshire and Adams on the west. The territory is about six miles square. The assessed area is 21,311 acres. There are some 12,000 acres of forest. Its highlands constitute the watershed between the Deerfield, Westfield and Hoosac rivers; and the streams, though of small volume, afford in their rapid descent numerous small powers. The land is, for the most part, too rocky, rough and mountainous for tillage, but suitable for grazing. The soil is a heavy loam.
The aggregate product of the 159 farms in 1885 was valued at $88, 941. The neat cattle numbered 968; the sheep 384; and the horses 182. The manufactures are lumber, boxes, carriages and food preparations; the total value of goods made in the year mentioned being $10,452. The population was 691, of whom 200 were legal voters. The valuation in 1888 was $178,728, with a tax of $19 on $1,000. There were 160 assessed dwelling-houses. The nine public school-houses were valued at some $2,000. A social and a school library have together about 300 volumes. The churches are a Baptist, a Methodist and a Second Advent. "Savoy" post-office, at Savoy Hollow, in the south part of the town, is seven miles from the railroad station in Adams. The other post-office is Savoy centre; and the third village is North Savoy.
This town, then known as "No. Six" was granted to the heirs of Capt. Samuel Gallop and his company for services and sufferings in an expedition to Canada in 1690. The first white family settled here in September, 1777; and in 1787 a sufficient number had come to organize a Baptist church. The town was incorporated February 20, 1797; the name of a town in the Swiss Alps being adopted as appropriate to its mountainous features. Savoy furnished 71 soldiers for the Union cause in the late war, of whom 9 were lost.
pp. 584-585 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890