Seekonk Massachusetts, 1890
Seekonk is a long and narrow farming town in the northwesterly part of Bristol County, about 40 miles southwest of Boston. The Boston and Providence Division of the Old Colony Railroad passes through its northwestern corner. The post-office is Seekonk, located in the southwestern part. East Providence post-office is used for the northern part of the town. The villages are Central Village, Lebanon, North Seekonk and South Seekonk. Its boundaries are Attleborough on the north, Rehoboth on the east, Swansey on the south, and East Providence and Pawtucket, in R. I., on the west. The form of the town is like the blade of a case-knife, having the point at the southeast, being about 8 miles in length and 2 in width. The assessed area is 11,016 acres; the wood-land comprising upwards of 4,000.
The geological formation is carboniferous, in which some iron-ore has been found. There is a fine pond of about 25 acres on the line at the extreme northwest, whose outlet is Ten-mile River; which continues the western line for more than half the length of the town; while Runal's River forms the western line of the southern section. Clear Run and other tributaries of the larger streams complete the natural drainage. The farms number 181; and the value of their aggregate product in 1885 was reported in the census as $228,599. Large quantities of apples, cranberries and strawberries are raised. There are two or more grist mills; the value of their product and other food preparations being $32,288. Other manufactures are jewelry, sporting and athletic goods, carriages and wheels, iron articles, chemicals and wrought stone. The value of all goods made was, $79,325. The population was 1,295; of whom 323 were legal voters. The valuation in 1888 was $823,550, with a tax-rate of $10 on $1,000. The number of assessed dwelling-houses was 291. The town has 8 public school-houses, valued at some $7,000. The church is a "Union Congregational."
This town was set off from Rehoboth and incorporated February 26, 1812; taking for its name the Indian word Seekonk, which signifies "wild goose." By an exchange of territory between Massachusetts and Rhode Island in 1861, the best part of the original area of this town was surrendered to the latter State.
At the head of Bullock's Cove, in an unfrequented spot, is a rude monument with the following inscription : —
"Here lyeth the body of the worthy Thomas Willet Esqr., who died August ye 4th, in the 64th year of his age, Anno . . . who was the first mayor of New York, and twice did sustain the place."
pp. 587-588 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890