Shutesbury Massachusetts, 1890
Shutesbury lies in the southeast corner of Franklin County, 112 miles west of Boston, and has New Salem and Prescott on the east, Pelham on the south, Amherst and Leverett on the west, and the latter and Wendell on the north. The assessed area is 16,665. There are about 8,500 acres of woodland, from which six saw mills, employing 11 men, prepare various forms of lumber. Large quantities of charcoal are made for market. Other manufactures are agricultural implements, carriages and metallic articles. The value of goods made in 1885 was $7,125. The value of the product of the 130 farms was $44,145. The population was 485, of whom 147 were legal voters. The valuation in 1888 was $152,820, with a tax-rate of $25 on $1,000. There were 124 taxed dwelling-houses. The school-houses were seven in number, and valued at some $4,000. The two churches are Baptist and Congregationalist.
The land of this town is rocky and uneven. The highest eminence is Morse's Hill, which overlooks Lock's Pond and Lock's Village in the northwest angle of the town. An immense bowlder east of the pond, named "The Sentinel," bears the marks of telluric forces, and was doubtless brought hither by a glacier. Swift River, forming a part of the eastern line, drains the eastern, and Roaring Brook and other streams, the western section of the town. Near the centre there is a mineral spring, impregnated with muriate of lime, which has some celebrity. The post-office is Shutesbury (centre); and there is a hamlet called North Shutesbury, and another in the southwest. The nearest railroad stations are those of the New London and Northern Railroad, in the towns adjoining on the west.
Shutesbury was settled by families from Sudbury, and for some years was called "Roads Town," but at its incorporation, June 30, 1764, received its present name in honor of Governor Samuel Shute. Ephraim Pratt, a resident of this place, was born in Sudbury, November 1, 1687, and died here in May, 1804, at the age of 116 years. At the age of 21 he married Martha Wheelock, and lived to see, it is said, 1,500 of his descendants. Temperance and cheerful-ness were marked traits of his character. The Hon. Paul Dillingham was born here in August, 1800, and was governor of Vermont from 1865 to 1867.
pp. 595-596 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890