Uxbridge Massachusetts, 1890
Uxbridge lies on the Blackstone River, in the southeasterly section of Worcester County, 30 miles southwest of Boston and 18 miles south of Worcester. The Providence and Worcester Railroad passes through northwest and southeast, and the New York and New England Railroad passes through the southwestern section, having a station at Ironstone. The post-offices are Uxbridge and North Uxbridge. Other villages are Centreville, Elm Dale, Ironstone and Rogersville.
For boundaries, it has Sutton on the northwest, Northbridge on the north, Mendon and Blackstone on the east, Douglas on the west, and Burrillville, in R. I., on the south. The assessed area is 17,615; of which 8,242 acres are forest. The principal rock is gneissic; and in it occur argentiferous galena and iron ore. The manufacturing villages are situated in charming valleys, in which West River from Upton, Mumford River from Northbridge, and Emerson Brook from Douglas, unite with the Blackstone River, which comes down between them. These valleys are flanked on either side by high lands covered with thrifty farms and noble woods, presenting landscapes of unusual beauty
The value of the aggregate product of the 262 farms in 1885 was $193,887. There have long flourished here satinet, fancy cassimere and shoddy mills. The woollen mills are now seven in number, employing in June, 1885, 317 persons. A cotton mill employed 141. The value of the textiles made, according to the last State census, was $627,105. Boots and shoes were made to the amount of $16,502; wrought stone, $19,963; tobacco in various forms, and food preparations, $55,524; lumber and other wooden goods, $8,325. Fire-arms and other metallic goods, $6,383. Leather, carriages, and clothing were also made to a small extent. The aggregate value of goods made was $718,158. The national bank has a capital stock of $100,000; and the savings bank deposit at the close of last year was $344,879. The valuation in 1888 was $2,032,725, with a tax-rate of $13.50 on $1,000. The number of taxed dwelling-houses was 531. The population was 2,948; of whom 728 were legal voters. The 12 public school-houses are valued at about $30,000. There is a good high school, with grammar and primary schools accordant. Uxbridge Free Public Library contains some 5,000 volumes. The " Compendium " is a popular local weekly. The Congregationalists, Baptists, Methodists, Unitarians, Friends, and Roman Catholics each have a church here.
This town was formerly a part of Mendon; from which it was detached and incorporated, June 27, 1827. It was named in honor of Henry Paget, Earl of Uxbridge and at the time a member of the privy council. The Indian name was Wacuntug. Uxbridge sent about 80 men to do battle for the Union in the late war, of whom 16 lost their lives in the service.
A church was organized here in 1731, and the Rev. Nathan Webb ordained pastor. William Baylies, M.D. (1743-1826), a noted physician, and M.C. 1805-1809; Nicholas Baylies (1772-1846), a judge and author; and Willard Preston, D.D. (1785-1856), an eloquent clergyman, were among the natives of this town.
pp.650-651 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890