Warren Massachusetts, 1890
Warren is an enterprising town of 4,032 inhabitants, and of varied industries, lying on the Chicopee River, in the southwestern extremity of Worcester County, 73 miles west of Boston by the Boston and Albany Railroad; which follows the river across the town, having stations at Warren (centre) and West Warren. These two are the post-offices; and the other villages are East Warren and South Warren.
West Brookfield bounds the town on the north, northeast and east, with Brookfield on the last, Brimfield on the south, and Palmer and Ware on the west. The assessed area is 16,428 acres; of which 3,244 are forest. The town is full of rounded hills, giving beautiful and unusually varied scenery. Mark's Mountain, near the centre, 1,071 feet in height, commands a fine view of the two principal villages and of a large extent of country. Other elevations are Colonel's Mountain, partly in the town at the northwest, 1,172 feet in height, and Coy's Hill, of nearly equal height, and entirely under cultivation. Ellis River, flowing southward, marks the eastern line of the town to the Chicopee; and the central portion of the town is drained by other small tributaries of the latter river, while Mill Brook drains the southern part, flowing southwest into the Chicopee in Brimfield. The climate is healthful and the soil productive.
The value of the aggregate product of the 100 farms, as reported in the census for 1885, was $153,168. In the two villages on the Chicopee are a woollen mill employing about 150 persons; 2 cotton mills employing about 500; iron-works, making gas machines, steam-pumps and other machinery. Nearly 250 men were engaged in this and other metal-work establishments. Artisans' tools, boots and shoes, ink, leather, lumber, carriages, soap, and food preparations, are other of the town products. The value of the textiles made in 1885 was reported as $995,989; and of the iron goods, $520,700. The aggregate product had the value of $1,651,564. The savings bank, at the close of last year, carried $179,119 in deposits.
The public buildings are a town-hall and eight school-houses, the latter valued at about $10,000. The public library contains some 5,000 volumes. The "Herald" is the local weekly newspaper. Each of the two large villages has a Congregationalist, a Methodist, and a Roman Catholic church; and there is one Universalist church.
This town was formed from parts of Brookfield, Brimfield and Kingsfield, and incorporated under the name of "Western" on January 16, 1741. The name was changed to "Warren," in honor of the patriot, Gen. Joseph Warren, March 13, 1841. The first church was organized here in 1745, and the Rev. Isaac Jones was the first pastor. Nathan Read, an able jurist, inventor, and M.C. from 1800 to 1803, and son of Major Reuben Read of the Revolutionary army, was born in this town on July 2, 1759, and died in Belfast, Me., January 20, 1849.
pp. 661-662 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890