Weston Massachusetts, 1890
Weston is an agricultural town having unusual scenic beauty, and situated in the southern section of Middlesex County, 13 miles west of Boston. The Boston and Albany Railroad has a station at Riverside, in the southeast part of the town. The Fitchburg Railroad runs through the northeast section, having a station at Stony Brook, near the middle of the eastern side; at Kendall Green (Weston station); and at Silver Hill (North Village). The Massachusetts Central Railroad crosses the middle section, having stations at Weston (centre) and Cherry Brook. Weston and Kendall Green are the post-offices. Lincoln lies upon the north, Waltham and Newton on the east, Wellesley on the south, and Natick and Wayland upon the west. The assessed area is 10,416 acres; yet the late census states the farm land as 11,217 acres; in which are included 4,351 acres of forest.
There are many small ponds about the centre and in the southern section, several of which are very beautiful. Stony Brook, with its affluents, drains the northern part; a fine streamlet, furnishing small powers, flows through the centre; and the southern part is drained by other small streams. All are tributaries of the Charles River, whose devious line forms the division between Weston and Newton. The twin summits of Doublet Hill, in this town, are 360 and 364 feet above sea-level. Brown Hill is 360 feet in height. There are rough ledges, and a romantic gorge called "The Devil's Den," near Stony Brook. The population is principally along the street which runs medially through the town from east to west; yet many of the hills are crowned with dwellings, and some with handsome residences owned by families whose chief interests are in the metropolis. The highways and bridges are kept in excellent order, and the streets are adorned by numerous shade trees. Though somewhat rocky, the soil is strong. There are a great many apple, pear and peach trees.
The blackberries picked in 1885 amounted to the sum of $1,260;. raspberries, $1,708; and strawberries, $7,523. The value of the milk sold was $70,535. The vegetable crop was large, especially that of cucumbers; of which there were raised 2,741,050 bushels. The value of the entire products of the 149 farms was $253,388. The local manufactures consisted chiefly of furniture, leather goods, stone, hosiery and knit goods, cord and twine, carriages, metallic goods, and food preparations. The value of the aggregate was $55,762. The inhabitants numbered 1,427; the legal voters, 324; and the assessed dwelling-houses, 286. The valuation in 1888 was $2,076,600, with a tax-rate of $6 on $1,000. The public schools consisted of primary and a high school. The seven school-houses were valued at $14,000. The town library contains about 7,000 volumes. The three churches are Baptist, Methodist and Unitarian.
The territory of Weston was formerly the western part of Watertown; and this circumstance probably suggested its present name, under which it was incorporated January 1, 1712. This town furnished 131 men for the Union cause in the late war, 16 above all demands; and of whom 6 were commissioned officers. Their names are recorded on a mural tablet in the public library.
At the point where Stony Brook enters Charles River is to be seen the curved line of an old ditch, enclosing, perhaps, a space of half an acre. Prof. E. N. Horsford regards this as the remains of an old fort built by the French; who, he says, came here about the year 1540 and built the fort of Norumbega. The Norumbega Tower is near by, in Waltham.
Pp.690-691 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890