Wilmington Massachusetts, 1890
Wilmington is situated in the northeast part of Middlesex County, 15 miles north of Boston, and contains 991 inhabitants. Wilmington and North Wilmington are the post-offices. Oilier villages are Wilmington Centre and Wilmington Junction. The town is intersected by the Western Division of the 'Boston and Maine Railroad, the Boston and. Lowell, and the Lowell and Salem lines, which have stations convenient to all the villages.
Wilmington is bounded by Andover and Tewksbury on the north, by North Reading and Reading on the east, by Woburn on the southeast, by Burlington on the southwest, by Billerica on the west, and by Tewksbury on the northwest. The assessed area is 9,845 acres; and 4,901 acres — nearly one half — are woodland, containing pine, oak and maple. The land is rolling, with considerable plain. The underlying rock is chiefly calcareous gneiss, which in one locality crops out in a picturesque ledge called the "Devil's Den." In the northern part of Wilmington is a fine old estate, noted as the location of "Elmwood Spring;" around which buildings are being-constructed for summer occupancy. Silver Lake is a pleasant sheet of water, in the northwestern part of the town, which affords a good supply of ice; a branch from the Boston and Lowell Railroad affording convenient transportation. Maple-meadow Brook drains the southern part of the town, and Lubber's Brook and others the central section; all meeting in a small marsh on the eastern border, whence issues the Ipswich River. The northern part is drained by feeders of Martin's Pond, near the northeast border in North Reading.
[High School Building, Wilmington.]
The soil is sandy. Fruits and berries are plentiful; and the culture of the cranberry is increasing. This crop in 1885 amounted to $ 5,537. The entire product of the 213 farms (including 73 detached lots) was valued at $76,006. The well-known Baldwin apple originated in this town, and the parent tree is still shown. Many cattle are slaughtered here for the city markets; for which business there are 11 slaughter-houses, employing two or more men each. Three grist and saw mills are operated a part of the time; and others gone to ruin add an element of picturesqueness in their locality. The largest manufactory is the Perry's Tannery, employing about 60 men. Carriages, metallic articles, and boots and shoes are made to a limited extent. The value of the total manufactured product of the town in 1885 was $214,518. The number of legal voters is 240, and the dwelling houses, 259. There were a good town-hall, a public library of about 1,400 volumes, and five public school houses, the latter valued at $6,000 An excellent high school building was erected recently. The churches are a Congregationalist, a Methodist and a Roman Catholic.
This town was formed of parts of Woburn and Reading (before its division), and incorporated September 25, 1730. It was named for Lord Wilmington, then a member of the British privy council. Wilmington is the birthplace of Timothy Walker, LL.D. (1802- 1856), an able jurist, Sears Cook Walker (1805-1853), a noted mathematician and astronomer, and of Joseph Reynolds, M.D. (b. 1827), author of several popular books.
pp. 704-705 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890