Worthington Massachusetts, 1890
Worthington is a fine farming and grazing town lying in the northwesterly section of Hampshire County, on the eastern declivity of the Green Mountains. It is 143 miles west of Boston and 17 miles (by highway) west of Northampton. Its nearest railroad stations are at Hinsdale, Williamsburg and Huntington. The post-offices are Worthington (centre), West Worthington, Ringville and South Worthington. Four Comers is the other village.
This town is bounded on the north by Cummington, on the east by Chesterfield, on the south by Chester, and on the west by Middlefield and Peru. The assessed area is 10,825 acres; of which 5,189 are forest. The geological formation is the Quebec group, and calciferous mica-schist. Specimens of kyanite, in long-bladed crystallizations, are found. The surface is elevated, but there are few high hills. The several streams flow southeasterly, and are affluents of the Westfield River. They are well stored with trout, and have furnished power for many saw mills. The present number is three; and there are three or four grist-mills. Plane, broom and rake handles, bedsteads, children's sleds and baskets, some iron machinery, carriages and food preparations are manufactured. The entire quantity of goods made in 1885 was valued at $26,010. The 173 farms yielded products valued, in the aggregate, at $132,394. The land is fairly fertile. There are 17,631 apple-trees, and some of most other fruit trees usual in the region. Berries also are plentiful. Maple sugar and molasses are made in large quantities, as the 77 sugar-houses indicate. The product in 1885 was 58,644 pounds, valued at $5,497. Good stocks of cattle and sheep are kept. The population is 763; of' whom 225 are legal voters. The valuation in 1888 was $304,408, with a tax-rate of $17.50 on $1,000. The number of assessed dwelling-houses was 187. The 11 public school-houses were valued at $3,500. The town library contains nearly 500 volumes. There is a Congregational church at the centre, a Methodist at South. Worthington, and one at West Worthington.
The town was incorporated June 80, 1768. Natives of eminence were Mrs. Jane Ermina (Starkweather) Locke (1805-1859), a poetical author; and Gen. James Clay Rice (1829-1864), a gallant officer; who died from wounds received at the battle of Spottsylvania Court-house, Virginia.
pp. 721-722 in Nason and Varney's Massachusetts Gazetteer, 1890